Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 211835 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #1335 on: March 6, 2008, 09:47 AM »
Sigh.  It's spring isn't it?  Guess not, woke up to a -47 F windchill this morning. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 6, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Sorry Morg about the weather for you Canuks.

Down here in Texas it's a blistering 43 degrees and we should start seeing snow later today.  We'll get up to an inch overnight and you will see people flip out and start stocking up on supplies.  School could get cancelled tomorrow and the temperature will be into the mid 40's.  People in Texas are stupid when it comes to ice.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: March 6, 2008, 10:06 AM »
People in Texas are stupid when it comes to ice.

Same here in MN.   ::)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 6, 2008, 10:38 AM »
Well it's sorta the same here, but in a different direction.  It warmed up enough to snow a couple of days ago and on my normal commute some people were being stupid.  Snow and hardpacked ice on the highways and most sane people slowed down to around 45 mph or so (speed limit is usually 60) but a few psychos were going 70 or more.  On a one hour drive I saw no fewer than 20 vehicles in the ditch, a couple upside down. 

So yeah, we should know better, but some people think that because they know how to drive in snow, they don't need to adjust for it. 

The first snowfall of the year is always pretty bad too.  We come off in a lot of cases not looking too dissimilar from the Texas scenario because too many people are just plain stupid. ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 6, 2008, 10:57 AM »
Stupidity is bred into some humans.

I'm lucky that I grew up in West Texas where we would get snow and ice several times in the winter so I got to learn how to drive and not drive in it.  I've taken those lessons with me.  What drives me crazy too is people that think just because they have four wheel drive they can still drive however on the road.  Apparently they don't realize that four wheel drive is to help you get a better start, not grip the ice better.  Once you're moving, the four wheel drive doesn't do a ton to help if you start sliding. ::)  Hell, I've got a huge 4x4 pickup and have hit some nasty patches before that caused me to slide and I was barely moving.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 7, 2008, 08:14 AM »
Yup got the Blizzard of the Century (3 inches) here in Ft. Worth yesterday...

I agree with Chris M. in part and disagree in part.  As a Native Texan as well, I agree alot of folks that grew up here don't see the stuff enough to know how to drive on it, BUT most people who are from here know if it is gonna freeze, hit the grocery story, clear it out and stay home.  That phenomenon still amazes my wife who lived in St. Louis for several years as a teenager.

What has really made me giggle all morning is the people from "Up North" that have moved into the area recently who laugh at us from not knowing how to drive on "SNOW" when in fact it isn't snow it is ICE...so they (and their accent) end up in the Ditch.

I know my limitations.  But yes, it will be 46 today, my daughter's school is delayed opening 2 hours and I've had employees call me asking if they could stay home today.

Oh and it was 80 Sunday and will be 70 this weekend.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 7, 2008, 11:40 AM »
Hey Paul, what part are you disagreeing with?

Wish I could have gotten a two hour delay before our schools opened, but I drove my wife to her school in Balch Springs and there was no need at all to delay.  I got to my school and the kids were having snowball fight.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 7, 2008, 03:11 PM »
Just that it's not only the native's that are stupid on the road...the "transplants" add to the problem by thinking ICE and SNOW require the same driving tactics.

It is a small part to disagree with I realize......everything else I totally agree.
« Last Edit: March 7, 2008, 03:12 PM by Paul »

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: March 7, 2008, 04:06 PM »
No problem...I didn't even think about the transplants.  I grew up out in Abilene, so snow was "common" during the winter. 

Embrace the suck.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 7, 2008, 04:49 PM »
somehow i managed to get a snow day out of north texas winter storm 2008.  we actually got like 7 inches up here in denton.  its the most snow i can remember ever seeing here.  it feels silly taking the day off now that its like 50, but at 5:30 this morning i was pretty glad the boss called to cancel.

also, as panicked and "stupid" as people get about the snow here, i saw no less than 20 cars in the ditch yesterday.  i would say that is plenty of reason for people to get freaked out about a few inches of snow.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 24, 2008, 02:20 AM »
We've got a hell of a wind storm going on tonight - it sounds like the trees in our back yard want to snap in half. 

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 24, 2008, 02:42 PM »
Well, we got poured on last Tuesday and in my part of the DFW area, we got about 6 inches of rain.  Sucked too because I was out for Spring Break and had planned on playing in about 4 softball games and only managed one due to fields being flooded.  So instead I had to sit at home and work in the yard...oh well.

Today though, high should get into the 60's and it only gets better as the week goes on.

Embrace the suck.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 25, 2008, 01:56 AM »
It was in the 70's here on Saturday.

Today we had temps in the twenties and and  heavy snow showers.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: April 12, 2008, 08:58 PM »
Beautiful day today, started out hazy but it's clear & 18°C & hitting 19°C tomorrow. For the long term, double digits till Friday then some rain & just in time for Shane's toy show weekend... -1°C & snow for the weekend. Go figure!  ::)  >:(

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 21, 2008, 05:30 PM »
******* ****** weather here, Jesse few out here Friday night for Shane's toy show. It was just starting to snow a bit when I got to the airport to get him. Saturday morning, blah! Blowing snow & getting worse over the weekend. The paper said that this was the worst April snowstorm in 20 years.

Queen Elizabeth II Highway today.

I shoveled 4 times before Jesse left to the airport which he took a taxi. He called me when he arrived there & said the rodas are crap, he said he counted 9 vehicles in the ditch & 1 lane was covered with about a foot of snow from the drifting.

Now he goes home to warmer weather... bastard!  >:(  :P

Glad Ryan made it back to Calgary safely.  :)