Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 211404 times)

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #975 on: January 5, 2007, 04:32 PM »
Trade yah weather :P

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 5, 2007, 04:49 PM »
It is 65 and very muggy here in the Piedmont of NC.  We've had thunderstorms on and off all day and are currently under a tornado watch.  Its expected to be sunny and 71 tomorrow.  I have a feeling we are going to pay for this in late February/early March with sleet/ice/snow mixes.

Yeah, we actually had 2 Tornados touchdown here in the Upstate of SC. That line should be getting right into your area now, actually. One of the tornados hit a few miles from here right as school let out; the rotating portion of the storm was infact visible south of the city, too. The Wall Cloud skirted past the location I was viewing it from by less than a mile. Really awesome, but really freaky. Too bad I didn't have my camera on hand.

About 50 miles from here, however, a possible tornado struck Liberty Elementary school (Liberty, for those unfamiliar with my area, is about 20 miles to the west of Greenville). 4 people were injured and 9 cars were piled on top of each other. Thankfully, the students were kept safe.

Freaky weather, to be quite honest. We just had a tornado on New Year's Eve, which is suprising, as SC only averages about 12-14 tornados per year. Needless to say, I'm more than ready for Winter to return.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 5, 2007, 04:59 PM »
Our weather has been good thus far with temps above normal, heck we eve had a couple days where it hit 8°C & boy did it melt.

No new snow has come which is good, that last dump we had was bad enough. The city cleared the streets but if you did not move the vehicles you were screwed as they just cleared & did not removed the snow.  >:(

Getting colder the next few days then back up to warmer temps. 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 6, 2007, 12:36 AM »
55 degrees now, and 65 degrees tomorrow, or so says the weather report.

Good lord, stock up on shovels and salt now, I'm sure we'll pay for it later.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 6, 2007, 12:26 PM »
Yesterday was perfect.  9-12 inches of fresh powder.  These are pictures from my camera phone:

« Last Edit: January 6, 2007, 12:30 PM by Deanpaul »
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 6, 2007, 09:44 PM »
 :P BRRR! I'll take cold and rainy over that any day,but if you don't have to drive in it.It's beautiful! of course we're 20 degrees above normal Kinda scary :-\ we'll have the reverse in June. 20 degrees below normal
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 7, 2007, 01:20 AM »
Deanpaul, that's a hell of a camera phone.  I've never seen such clear pics from one before.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 7, 2007, 01:35 AM »
Thanks, Jesse. 

It's the Sony Ericson w810i Walkman phone on Cingular.  Not bad at all for $99, considering I've also got a 2gb card in it with a couple of iTunes playlists on it as an mp3 player.  I've got it linked to my helmet, so I can ski with music.  If a call comes in, I've got glove friendly buttons on the helmet to pick up the call, and then it transfers back to music after the phone hangs up.  I get good signal at the resort I go to, so I can bag work without anyone knowing if it's not too windy.

The camera shoots 2 megapixel images, and I can sync it with my Mac seamlessly. 

There are a few more images from the camera phone here.

"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 7, 2007, 12:51 PM »
Nice pics Deanpaul.  8)

Snowing a bit up here, -5°C right now. Long range forecast is much colder, -23°C by Thursday & dropping to -30°C during the evenings.

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 7, 2007, 10:37 PM »
 :P Rain, clouds,rain,clouds,I think I see a trend here :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 8, 2007, 08:41 PM »
Whoa! The wind here last night was wicked, a wind warning was put out before I went to bed & boy did it ever come in. Woke me up a few times. >:(  Still windy this morning heading out to work & garbage all over the place & a few garbage cans down the alleys.

Tho the temp was not too cold today, -3°C but with that wind... yikes!  :-\

Still forecasting 90% snow on Wednesday & the temp dropping like a rock!  >:(

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: January 8, 2007, 10:35 PM »
That must have been one hell of a wind system last night because it hit us too.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: January 8, 2007, 10:49 PM »
Yeah, just wait Jesse. This news does not sound too good.  :-\

Nothing to brag about with weather this week
Jan, 08 2007 - 6:30 AM

EDMONTON (630 CHED) - Enjoy the next few days because Environment Canada says one of the worst winter storms to hit the Edmonton area since 1989 should be here by Wednesday.

The big blast of artic air is making it's way to Edmonton thanks in part to this major wind storm.

The storm is expected to pack high wind chills around minus 40 with plenty of snow.

As for today, powerful gusts of wind buffeted the Edmonton area overnight and a wind warning remains in effect for much of central Alberta.

Callers tell CHED News blowing snow is creating visibility problems on some highways and the roads are slippery where the snow has settled.

Parts of St Albert were blacked out just before four but the RCMP tells CHED News the outage is not widespread.

Epcor reports no significant power outages in Edmonton.

Burglar alarms were set off by the wind gusts and that kept police and firefighters busy but no serious damage has been reported.

Light debris is blowing around in most parts of the city and the suburbs.

Yup, the big storm of 89.  :-\

January 29-31, 1989: Alberta was experiencing a mild period during the latter part of January up until a particularly vicious cold front from the Yukon dropped temperatures from plus 2 C to -12 in the span of an hour, as it charged through Edmonton during morning rushhour on the 30th. Rain rapidly changed to heavy snow and the mercury fell to the -25 range and was still falling at noon. By that time the front had surged through Calgary, and by late afternoon the entire province was in the grips of a blizzard. The Edmonton area received the most snow, around 35 cm, an all-time January record. Portions of the province south and east of Red Deer were spared the snow, but still had to endure the bitterly cold winds. The effects of the storm lingered for days. Temperatures were in the minus 30's. In the Edmonton area alone, seven deaths were directly attributed to the storm's fury.

No Sir. I Don't Like It!  :-\

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: January 9, 2007, 08:32 PM »
Storms a brewing now, wind is picking up. The snow should hit here around midnight, just a tad of flurries this afternoon & the roads are getting nasty.

Blizzard warning for: City of Edmonton-St. Albert-Sherwood Park.

The highways are a mess & the no-tow is in effect so if you go off the road, you're **** out of luck.  :-\

-5°C right now which feels like -15°C & dropping to -12°C overnight with 90% snow. Tomorrow, blowing snow. The freeze is in till Sunday thus far & Mondays forecast... -1°C with freezing rain. ****!  >:(

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 10, 2007, 07:02 PM »
 ;)You can keep all that stuff! It was nice here for a change! I got real tired of seeing rain,but its better than seeing SNOW :P