Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 209922 times)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #1005 on: January 12, 2007, 04:57 PM »
One would think living here you'd be prepared and for the most part I/we are.  Extra mitts, goretex overpants, hat, scarf, etc.  The funny part is this cold and all I added was a thin fleece vest.  It's cold out, so I need an extra layer, otherwise I'm wearing the same stuff I was when it was 40 C warmer.  Acclimatization is a beautiful thing. 

Brent -- I see you mentioned that you guys have become acclimated to the cold and prepare via extra mitts, hats, gloves, etc.  If you don't mind me asking, how does your little buglett handle such extreme cold?  What about waiting for the school bus in the am -- does she get to wait inside?
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: January 12, 2007, 05:41 PM »
 If you don't mind me asking, how does your little buglett handle such extreme cold?  

Three times I had to read that before I could understand that she wasn't asking about his penis.    :o
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 12, 2007, 06:10 PM »
Off to Chicago bei interstate this evening, should prove to be wonderful weather for the return trip come Monday. An ice storm is predicted to effect areas along the route home, though hopefully accumulations will be light to negligable.

In Chicago, the temps are going to be fairly extreme, at least to my Carolinian sensibilities. Nights in the low 20s? Burr.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #1008 on: January 12, 2007, 06:31 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, how does your little buglett handle such extreme cold? 

Three times I had to read that before I could understand that she wasn't asking about his penis.    :o

Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 12, 2007, 06:35 PM »

Please try and follow along Richard.  He already answered that question for me. :P

Shrinkage.  Seinfeld didn't adequately cover the topic, of that I can assure you.  Sucked.  Up.  Inside.  'Nuff said. 

"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 12, 2007, 11:47 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :P
Well,Our low is 55 degrees for Tonite + You guessed it more Rain anymore I might consider driving a boat instead of the car :P
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: January 13, 2007, 01:31 PM »
One would think living here you'd be prepared and for the most part I/we are.  Extra mitts, goretex overpants, hat, scarf, etc.  The funny part is this cold and all I added was a thin fleece vest.  It's cold out, so I need an extra layer, otherwise I'm wearing the same stuff I was when it was 40 C warmer.  Acclimatization is a beautiful thing. 

Brent -- I see you mentioned that you guys have become acclimated to the cold and prepare via extra mitts, hats, gloves, etc.  If you don't mind me asking, how does your little buglett handle such extreme cold?  What about waiting for the school bus in the am -- does she get to wait inside?

Well, no school bus for starters.  We're about as hideously suburban as can be, Cul-de-sac about a mile from the school means no bus for you.  So we drop her off and pick her up in this weather.  But she has a nice parka, heavy duty winter pants that go over her regular clothes (think ski pants), mitts, hat.  Generally they don't let them outside on days like this, mostly because kids are now pussies. :-X 

Honestly, I don't know if it's because our parents were trying to kill us or just didn't know any better or what, but we used to play outdoor hockey in weather like this.  I remember being 8 and playing at a rink where between periods all the kids were crying in the dressing room because the blood and feeling was returning to their feet.  The coaches were disgusted with a bunch of 8 year olds bawling like babies and sure enough we had to lace 'em back up and go out for the next round.  Not my happiest hockey memory and probably not a smart thing to do, but now they're cancelling school because it's cold??  Gimme a break, you're going to be inside, not lying naked in a snow drift ::)

It's warmed up considerably today, only -34 C with the windchill, so only -29 F.  Hey, it's 25 F warmer, that's gotta be good, right?

I'm probably going to go buy a new battery for the car today :-X  It was a little sluggish (8 years old too) the last couple of days.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 13, 2007, 07:55 PM »
Heh, I got yesterday off from school. I mean living in St.Norbert is great, the buses didnt run, the schools in the area were called off.
Its too bad about the students in the city, my friends go to some of the other collegiates in the city.  :P
Meh, its not that bad out, atleast not now.  :)
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: January 13, 2007, 10:03 PM »
Honestly, I don't know if it's because our parents were trying to kill us or just didn't know any better or what,

Both.  If school was closed due to a two foot snow fall and 20 degrees below zero (before anyone ever thought of adding in the wind chill) - we still had to shovel the driveway, sidewalk, path to the alley (to put out the garbage) and underneath the clothes line (hey, my Mom liked the bedding "fresh").  Then, we could go ice skating, sledding or whatever we wanted to do but we had to do it OUTSIDE.  It was unheard of NOT to have snow pants.

mostly because kids are now pussies. :-X 

and yes, today's kids are wimps.  They have no idea what rosy cheeks, frozen toes and knitted mittens (that weigh three pounds) feel like and I feel sorry for them.
Beth

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 13, 2007, 10:08 PM »
That's why I love you :-*

I confess that my kid hasn't been playing outside the last couple of days, but she and her friends here on the street are pretty good though.  A moderately common mindset amongst several parents that the kids should be outside.  We have a big pile of snow out front and the kids do stay out for hours when it's not windy, even if it is really cold.  Everyone's happy to ply them with hot chocolate and marshmallows if they're covered in snow, rosy cheeked and have cold toes. 

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 13, 2007, 11:12 PM »
and underneath the clothes line (hey, my Mom liked the bedding "fresh").  Then, we could go ice skating, sledding or whatever we wanted to do but we had to do it OUTSIDE.  It was unheard of NOT to have snow pants.

If you put wet clothes on the line at 20 below, don't you just get frozen clothes?

:-\
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 13, 2007, 11:50 PM »
Yes, except when you bring them inside they're dry as the water has evaporated for the most part, even in the cold. 

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 14, 2007, 08:12 AM »
14 degrees here, and still doesn't seem like winter has started.

I keep telling my girls (9 and 6) that they haven't even seen a real winter yet.

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 14, 2007, 10:02 AM »
 :P More of the same,Rain and clouds with Heavy rain by evening(in a Ben Stein Voice)
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline tonphanan

• Jedi Initiate
  • " Has anyone seen my wits?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 14, 2007, 03:44 PM »
The snow, The cold , this is the fourth straight weekend of the stuff  :o. I had to change a flat tire in 1 degree weather. I've lived in Colorado for 22 years and don't remember ever getting this kind of cold and snow on a regular basis.
Throw an Ewok at him