Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 210957 times)

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #1140 on: March 2, 2007, 09:26 AM »
::) Stormy all day and very heavy rain.I expect Noah's ark to be floating by any minute now

That's what we have today, Rain Rain Rain...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 2, 2007, 12:19 PM »
Yesterday's system has left thus far left at least 20 people dead across the Southeastern United States and Mid Mississippi Valley. Unfortunately, it looks like the highest concentration of fatalities came from Enterprise, Alabama where an as of yet unrated tornado plowed through the town and then the local high school during the first half of the outbreak. The SPC's preliminary storm reports currently put the total around 15, making up approximately 75% of yesterday's storm related deaths.

However, all of this could have been much worse. The two PDS watches which were issued yesterday for much of the South did not have the widespread severe weather that was forecast. Weak instability, combined with convective inhibation due to on-going precip, prevented many storms from reaching severe levels.

By around 6:00 PM Central, the squall line along the Pacific Front had formed just to the east of Birmingham, and then proceeded to make it's push to the Atlantic Coast. Georiga, north of I-20, was largely spared from any severe weather. Similarily, northern South Carolina was largely spared. However, a secondary bout of severe weather did break out in the eastern Carolinas overnight, producing numerous reports of damaging winds.

Here's the 10 AM Central Day 1 Convective Outlook from yesterday. Astoundingly high probabilities... typically "High Risk" areas are only deliniated once or twice per year. To borrow/steal a phrase, yesterday was indeed a "Particuarly Dangerous Situation".

Other Links:
1 March 2007 storm reports
The Tennesse-Alabama-Gulf Coast PDS Watch
The Georigia PDS watch

- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 2, 2007, 12:23 PM »
Is it safe to say you escaped the fray alright? Also, anyone hear from Brad? He's in Alabama.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 2, 2007, 12:47 PM »
Other than accepting my FR on Facebook, no. And yes, Upstate South Carolina was not affected by Severe Weather last night.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 2, 2007, 08:48 PM »
-23°C this morning & foggy for the drive to work. The wind has picked up a bit, going to a wopping 8°C tomorrow... melt down! Thus far we are just below or above freezing for next week. I'll take it! 

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 2, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Another foot of snow from this storm- My kids finally get to experience a snow day in all its' glory!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 2, 2007, 10:50 PM »
Another foot of snow from this storm- My kids finally get to experience a snow day in all its' glory!

Nice.  Apparently it was bad enough today for General Mills to formally close its offices!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 3, 2007, 08:51 AM »
 :(Spitting snow this morning :P It can knock it off because I'm ready for spring >:(
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 3, 2007, 01:40 PM »
its sunny and 51 here this morning.  that is the coldest is has been in a while.  and... its been so nice that the dang grass decided to grow.  its a bad sign when you have have to mow the 1st weekend in march.  that leaves alot of time before it gets so hot that the grass goes dormant.  last year was so hot and dry that i only had to mow 3 times.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 3, 2007, 03:16 PM »
Almost 8°C , it's 6°C & it's melting like crazy & clear & sunny. Lots of puddles around & hardly a place for the melt to run off. Yep, it's windshield washer fluid day today. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 3, 2007, 03:32 PM »
-11 C, -18 C with the windchill (0 F) ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #1151 on: March 3, 2007, 11:50 PM »
hey is snow and ice the same temp or is one colder than the other. in san diego there is never snow and i haven't gone to the mountans to touch it,but i have touched fake snow at sea world. but it was 80 and sunny, i cant stand cold so i might not like it. i do want to check it out. is it worth a 45 min drive to the mountains?...
He's no good to me open

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 4, 2007, 12:18 AM »
is it worth a 45 min drive to the mountains?...

I'd hate to live my whole life and not have touched real honest to goodness snow just once.

Now if only they'd devise a way for me to touch lava...

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 4, 2007, 12:22 AM »
You can Kevin when it cools off, just a plan old lava rock!  :P

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 4, 2007, 02:50 PM »
What a difference a days makes, yesterday it hit 8°C & today it's -13°C with light snow tonight.