Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 209982 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #1395 on: December 14, 2008, 07:53 PM »
Light snow last night, it was fairly warm the last few days and suddenly it is -8° F (-22° C) today.
"This is the way."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 14, 2008, 07:54 PM »
I heard that it's so cold in Fargo, ND right now that if you went outside the moisture in your eyes would freeze within a few minutes.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 14, 2008, 08:53 PM »
I heard that it's so cold in Fargo, ND right now that if you went outside the moisture in your eyes would freeze within a few minutes.

That's hilarious!  I'd love to see it!!  Not sure what state you're from my friend, but I'm not far away from Fargo and my eyes haven't frozen over yet - and I'm a smoker (which means I have to do that dirty deed outside)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: December 14, 2008, 10:21 PM »
Yeah, but Fargo and Minneapolis are entirely different worlds.  Somewhere in that three hour drive it goes from tolerable to stupid.  Fargo and Winnipeg are often quite similar in weather.  It's cold in Minneapolis right now, -15 C (about 2 F) but Fargo is colder at -23C  and we're colder still at -26 C.  With the wind chill it is -40C here right now, so -40F.  I don't get the windchill for Fargo on the local weather station, so it may be just as cold there right now.

As for the moisture in your eyes freezing, nah, it would take a while.  The heat is still moving out to your eyes from inside, so that aspect won't freeze.  The tears would on your cheek within about a minute though.  And it's cold enough with the wind that you'll be tearing up real good. 

When the temperature is around -40 with the windchill, exposed skin freezes in about two minutes.  Not frozen solid but frostbite sets in.  It ain't no fun.  Let's just say they find some homeless people each year that froze completely to death when spring rolls around. 

But you just get used to it and deal.  We went out for dinner tonight and the wait was 30 minutes, so it's not like you roll up in a ball and hibernate.  You get used to living in it. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: December 14, 2008, 10:31 PM »

That's hilarious!  I'd love to see it!!  Not sure what state you're from my friend, but I'm not far away from Fargo and my eyes haven't frozen over yet - and I'm a smoker (which means I have to do that dirty deed outside)

That was a report from one of my co-workers.

I went to college in northern NY and at times it was unbearably cold.  I've dealt with temperatures as low as -27 fahrenheit without even factoring in the windchill.  I've felt my nostrils freeze up.  I've begun to feel my legs stiffen.  And tears freezing in the eyelashes.  It's basically a situation where you just can't have any exposed skin outside and you have to wear 3 layers of clothes as a rule.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #1400 on: December 14, 2008, 10:22 PM »
got to clean the wall heater tomorrow. i had to wear pants when i woke up today. today it was in the 50s feels so cold and dry i have to keep putting lotion on my hands...
He's no good to me open

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 15, 2008, 09:47 AM »
Twin Cities had rain to start the day yesterday and by 3 PM the temps had dropped from near 40 to in the teens, to -8 at sun up this morning, and we got 2-3 inches of Snow.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: December 15, 2008, 01:41 PM »
I tell you what is just wild, and having lived here all my life it still amazes me...I was out jogging at 6 last night in shorts and a Tshirt and it was 70 degrees.  When I rolled out of bed this morning, it was 27 with a wind chill in the mid teens.  Good lord I love Texas.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1403 on: December 16, 2008, 02:04 AM »
On Sunday, I left my apartment in the morning and it was almost 50 degrees F and no wind. I met my folks for lunch around 2, and it was 20 F with strong winds. That's the thing about weather in Iowa- if you don't like it, wait five minutes.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: December 18, 2008, 09:22 AM »
got about 10cm of snow yesterday...and according to the news...There sa storm a comin our way! For another 10-15cm tommorow and another 10-15 over the weekend loll Looks like I got my wish for snow...now I just need the pond to freeze over ;D ;D
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: December 18, 2008, 09:28 AM »
We're supposed to get 7-14 inches of snow tomorrow (that's 18-36cm for the Canadians)
I am not the Stig

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: December 18, 2008, 11:01 AM »
We're supposed to get 7-14 inches of snow tomorrow (that's 18-36cm for the Canadians)

Thank you for the translation ;D  I would point out that some of us are old enough to remember when Canada used the Imperial measurement system the US still uses.  IIRC we started to switch to metric back in around 1972 or so. 

Really interesting to see how far south the cold weather and snow are stretching.  San Francisco and Malibu both got snow apparently.  We got a skiff too, but yesterday was more interesting because we were "mild" to the point where people were walking about with their jackets open.  It was only -18C (0 F) but with minimal wind everyone was smiling like crazy.  So it takes about a week for us to acclimate to -40 temperatures.  Good thing too since that's where we're back to with the windchill today and a temperature drop.  More snow for us for the weekend too.  Wishin' I was in Hawaii. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: December 18, 2008, 11:28 AM »

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: December 18, 2008, 11:31 AM »
When did they put in an outside in Las Vegas?  I didn't realize they had one of those.
I am not the Stig

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1409 on: December 18, 2008, 12:45 PM »
Oh man, I have got to call my brother about this. He lives down there, and says that even when it rains, you can't go anywhere because people don't have any idea how to drive on rain-slick roads. Can't imagine the accidents there now.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk