Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 209897 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Snow!
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2004, 09:57 PM »
OK, that was not fun. Power was down for just over an hour. -19°C & snow.  >:(  

Trying to find the flashlight & some candles to start off with was not great.  Having a lighter in my pocket helped.

Good thing for a fireplace!  ;)  Fire goooooooood!  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2004, 09:59 PM »
We're about to get socked with 4-9" tonight through Monday :o

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2004, 10:45 PM »
Well, we're supposed to get another 1 - 3" of snow in the next couple of days, and right now it's a brisk 10 degress fahrenheit.  Nice, huh?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2004, 12:57 AM »
48 and droping fast.And to think it actualy got up to 66 today. ::)

Rain coming in from southwest in Taccoa Georiga,Sleet and snow starting around 3 or 4 I think.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2004, 01:47 AM »
Well, we're supposed to get another 1 - 3" of snow in the next couple of days, and right now it's a brisk 10 degress fahrenheit.  Nice, huh?

Positively balmy, if you ask me.  We're stuck in a rather nasty cold spell with wind chills regularly in the range of -30 to -40 or about 10 minutes to frostbite.  Not helpful when you have a three year old that wants to go skating.  

BTW, for anyone trying to figure out what Dale and I are saying, this might help:

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2004, 08:19 AM »
The main event is set to begin in a few hours...this one could actually take out the power in the city for a change,or so my soothsayers say.1 inch glaze of ice possible,I'm betting on at least 6 crashes since no one can drive down here.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2004, 10:39 PM »
School has been cancelled.The circle is now complete.

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2004, 11:51 PM »
Same here in Charlotte. In fact, it's been deemed a "state of emergency".

It makes me sick. There is maybe an inch of snow out, and some of the roads are slick, but they act as if we just suffered a natural disaster?

Well, it sure as hell isn't stopping me from getting to Best Buy tomorrow.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2004, 11:57 PM »
I was going to ask you Cory about that, they always show footage of Southern "Snowstorms" here and the news people always have a good chuckle.  It can't be much different than driving up here is (with the lack of salt and sand trucks being the main difference)

Parts north of here got over 17" today, still hasn't hit here, could get 6", I'll guess more like 3".  It seems like the last 10 years of my life, the local media has overblown every single snow event in order to get ratings and viewers, a tease 3 days before with fancy graphics showing the potential amounts, suddenly the expected amount keep dipping and then all of a sudden "Huh, it just tracked north of here"  Anyone who watched "Curb Your Enthusiasm" tonight will agree..."I see through you Weatherman!"

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2004, 12:37 AM »
Weathermen/climate experts are a self sustaining industry.  Weather is always the _______ of the century.  Climate is always changing (well, duh) and ever notice how flooding is worse, but only in terms of dollar values?  Ever heard of inflation?  Or perhaps previous generations weren't stupid enough to build mansions on flood plains?  Nah, too simple.  

Anyway Scott, it does seem to be tracking north.  We were initially looking at only and inch or two of snow.  We've already had three, we're looking at six more tomorrow and a couple on Tuesday.  Add to that the forecast highs are only around -17 C (0 F) and it's cold and snowy.  Wind chills are cranking it to around the -30 or so range again.  

Took the kid skating today.  All of two-ten minute rounds before we dragged her inside.  She didn't want to go, just too damn cold.  

Two months to go.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2004, 07:03 AM »

A secondary storm has developed,and will effect us through tonight.The roads are already pure ice and by mid afternoon,Duke power says we could all loose power again.Another inch of ice.

School should be closed tommorow,and call me crazy,but,I like when the powers off.Its kinda cool.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2004, 08:37 AM »
 :o  Temp.: -31°C. WindChill: -45°C. Extreme wind chill.   :o  

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2004, 09:39 AM »
25 with a windchill of 15.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2004, 09:40 AM »
We were supposed to wake up to 4-5" this morning, I woke up and looked outside, 1/2" at most, I laughed and shook my fist in the air "Weatherman!!!"

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2004, 10:55 AM »
We were supposed to wake up to 4-5" this morning, I woke up and looked outside, 1/2" at most, I laughed and shook my fist in the air "Weatherman!!!"

Yeah, must weathermen couldn't tell you if it snowed yesterday, let alone what's going to happen in the future.
Common sense isn't so common