Author Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 209930 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #1635 on: December 13, 2009, 10:37 AM »
I triple dog dare you!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1636 on: December 14, 2009, 01:42 AM »
Pittsburgh, for the first time since the 1993 Blizzard, shut down the Parkways around the city this weekend... 

Once again we got wet weather then frigid cold at different points of the evening that caused major icing on the roadways.  The footage was insane.  Cars spinning out of control everywhere left and right.  Accidents on film routinely throughout the morning till the temps warmed up again.

I'd rather have 3 feet of snow than this stuff we're in right now.  We're getting warm crap from the South colliding with the cold stuff you guys out west sent our way, and it's playing havoc locally.  Fortunately I have very little traveling this week outside of my local area incase any of this keeps up.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: December 14, 2009, 08:34 AM »
Edmonton was the coldest place in North America yesterday morning and the second chilliest in the world. Only Siberia was colder... Cha!

The Edmonton International Airport saw a record low of -46.1 C and -58.4 C with the windchill, outfreezing even the Arctic.

Can't wait till the end of he week, plus side temps. Why do I live here... ::)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: December 14, 2009, 09:28 AM »
wait...do you live in canada or PA?  I'm confused.

Dammit, nevermind.  I noticed what I did as soon as I posted.  Stoopid similar avatars. 

Um....the weather here is foggy.  Foggy with a chance of fog.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:29 AM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: December 14, 2009, 02:15 PM »
So we got almost a foot of snow last week and then it alternated between raining and sleeting all day yesterday, which along with temps just above/below freezing was perfect for resurfacing the roads ice skating rinks.  I kind of don't get why the county waited until after 5 am to start salting/sanding the roads.  Sure, i get that most people aren't out that early driving, but isn't the point of salting/sanding at that hour to get ahead of the traffic that way when people start driving the friction with the sand generates heat, melting the ice....  Didn't slide around too much, just annoying to drive so soo sooooo slow when all the local municipality could have done a better job.
I am not the Stig

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1640 on: December 14, 2009, 04:03 PM »
His shoots lasers.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: December 14, 2009, 08:11 PM »
Edmonton was the coldest place in North America yesterday morning and the second chilliest in the world. Only Siberia was colder... Cha!

The Edmonton International Airport saw a record low of -46.1 C and -58.4 C with the windchill, outfreezing even the Arctic.

Can't wait till the end of he week, plus side temps. Why do I live here... ::)

Thanks for reminding me why I no longer do.  :-*

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: December 14, 2009, 10:54 PM »
I bought a beefy shovel today with a nice metal tip.  Love this thing for doing clean up that the snowblower can't hit.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: January 25, 2010, 11:51 AM »
For the first time in what seems like forever, we're in a full fledged blizzard here.  We always get cold, or snow, or blowing winds, but never that just perfect combination of all three that makes the weather guys admit that it's nasty outside. 

We had a couple of days of snow with pretty warm temps, but then last night the temperature dropped and the winds came up and now more snow.  The highway conditions map is all orange - travel not advised with a number of highway closures.  Windchill is down around -40 due to gusts up to nearly 40 mph and we're expecting about 4 more inches of snow.  It's pretty wild. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: January 25, 2010, 12:53 PM »
We've been the opposite... it was high 40's this week.  It's my first Chicago winter, but I was surprised by that.  It rained a few times...

Snow this afternoon though.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: January 25, 2010, 01:00 PM »
I'm the wrong guy to inform you about the winters in Chicago, but my impression of cities on the Great Lakes is that they can get just about anything during the winter - from the mild rainy to nasty freezing cold and everything in between.  I think Chicago is viewed as colder because it sits on the south side of the lake (yes?) and gets the north winds blowing off the lake - cold, wet air often with snow.  Us, we're just bald, flat prairie and cccccccccold. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1646 on: January 25, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Basically Chicago's not a lot different than Pittsburgh is Rob.  What you get we usually get a day or two later.  The 40's aren't unheard of for sure, but that stretch we just went through (and I assume you did too) with 40's and a day or two even near 50, are way above average...  But they do happen usally once or twice a winter.

Lake-effect snows are the worst.  We get them too even though Erie's 2 hours away.  It obviously gets worse the further north you go towards the Lake though, so I always try telling myself that. :)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: January 25, 2010, 09:26 PM »
Lake-effect snows are the worst.  We get them too even though Erie's 2 hours away.  It obviously gets worse the further north you go towards the Lake though, so I always try telling myself that. :)

We've only gotten lake-effect snow once so far this year.  It was about 3 weeks ago when we got around 8 inches.  Personally, I love it.  I went sledding for the first time... and I'm waiting to go again. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1648 on: January 25, 2010, 09:35 PM »
You may actually not get a lot of lake-effect since you're on the west side of the lake...  I don't know really about that.  The winds here usually come from the North and so it pushes that down to meet what would otherwise be probably rain coming from your way...  I'm sure you'll have more snow before the winter's done. :)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: January 25, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Yeah, that's my understanding, that we're on the wrong side of the lake for it.  The one time that it happened, the storm sort of came in from the NW and then swirled around for some reason pushing back towards the city.