Author Topic: Favorite Band = Led Zeppelin  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Favorite Band = Led Zeppelin
« on: May 30, 2003, 11:40 AM »
So, who else considers Led Zeppelin to be their favorite band? Or at the least, somewhere ranking in your top 5 favorites?

Favorite album/songs?

My favorite album is probably IV, and if I had to list my top 5 favorite songs, they are...
Kashmir, Going To California, Bring It On Home, When The Levy Breaks, and Tangerine.

Side note : Led Zeppelin II has the coolest Vinyl cover ever. And yes, even though I'm considered a youngster, not only do I own a few Zeppelin albums, but I even got a album player if I ever wanted to crank it up old school style.  :-*

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Favorite Band = Led Zeppelin
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 11:50 AM »
Sorry, but I'm not a huge fan of Led Zeppelin.  I like a couple of their songs, but I've never been a fan of them.
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 11:56 AM »
Sorta ruins the purpose of ya posting here then, don't it, Chris?  :-\ :-*

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 12:05 PM »
I've been listening non stop to How the West Was Won since I got it on Tuesday.  They are for sure in my top 10 maybe even top 5.  Bonham is amazing and words can express what an awesome guitarist Page actually is until you here him improvise on this CD...

favorite song: Over The Hills And Far Away
favorite CD: Houses of the Holy

If there was a band from any era that you could see live and haven't I think they would be it (followed by The Who)

Like I told you yesterday Brad, my second purchase when I graduated university and got my job (after my Mustang) was the Complete 10 Box Set of Zeppelin in all of their glory.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 03:38 PM »
Definitely in my top three along with Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.  I have all nine studio albums (bless Columbia House and BMG) and the BBC Sessions, which has an awesome 18 minute version of Dazed and Confused.  I plan on picking up HtWwW soon.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2003, 12:10 AM »
Zeppelin Rules!  They've always been my favourite band hands down.
Can't wait to crack open my new cd and DVD tomorrow.
Fave album:  III
Songs:  When the Levee Breaks, Bring It On Home, Tangerine, Since I've Been Loving You.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 1, 2003, 08:21 AM »
I'd say I'm a fan.  While I was only a whipper-snapper when Zep was still touring, I grew to appreciate them in college.  Even moreseo, after I took up playing bass.  I count John Paul Jones as one of my musical mentors.

I've also seen the remaining members live.  I saw Page & Plant twice when they were supporting their Unplugged album.  And more recently, I saw John Paul Jones and his band opening for King Crimson.  And he didn't just rock.  HE RAWKED!  

JPJ's original material is awesome, if you haven't heard it.  He's got a couple of fairly recent CD's in stores, Zooma and The Thunderthief.  Both are worth buying.  What was more remarkable about his show was the Zeppelin tunes he threw in.  He sang "That's the way" while playing mandolin, and his band accompanied.  He also did instrumental versions of "Black Dog" and "When the levee breaks".  The most remarkable thing about those songs was that he didn't play bass.  He had a guy playing a bass-like instrument called a Chapman stick.  So, that guy held down the bottom, while Jonesy wailed away on an overdriven lapsteel guitar in a way that would put Jimmy Page to shame.  "When the levee braks" was probably one of the most intense live performances I've ever seen, and I've been to a lot of concerts.  King Crimson actually had a hard time measuring up with their headline slot, and they're not exactly musical slouches.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 1, 2003, 09:26 PM »
Definately in my top 5 of all time.  My favorite songs are.  "Achillies' Last Stand", "Four Sticks", "No Quarter", "What is, and What Should Never be"... just to name a few.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 2, 2003, 11:34 PM »
Damn Brad, you had to go and make me like you.  Not much, but at least enough to tolerate you and those furball things ;)

Zeppelin would be in and out of the top five for me.  Usually in.  I have all the CDs having parted with vinyl some time ago (well, the last 100 albums went last year including some Zep).  

Favorite album would be I with Ramble On as a favorite song, but there really are so many.

Zeppelin was a huge favorite for me growing up.  For those who don't know me, I would have been about 15 when Bonham yakked himself to death.  We had tickets for the concert in Minneapolis and I was seriously pumped.  Going with a couple of buddies two years older than me.  Very, very sad day when he died.

For the other oldsters and probably only Bob and Dale can appreciate this (well, Bob might be too old ;)) but I vividly remember junior high (yep, 77-79) dances and the last song was almost always Stairway to Heaven.  The funniest part was some of the dances were done with the use of 8-track players (google it if you don't know, it's good for a laugh).  Of course 8-tracks in all their glory had uncerimonius switches in the program, four per tape, IIRC.  These would be represented by a large clunk-whirrr-clunk with the music dying at the start and then ramping up again.  That ALWAYS occurred during the part of the song where you basically got the nerve to get real close to the girl and maybe even put your hands on her back (*gasp*).  So there you are and the song is running...and she's buyyyyyyyying the Stairyway to heaven CLUNK... whrrrrrrrr....CLUNK...and the music starts up again.  I'm sorry I can't remember the exact passage in the song but it was pretty priceless, dramatic and mood ruining.  Shortly after the track switched the song sped up and everyone got confused as to whether it was a slow dance or a fast dance.  It was instructive to know whether the girl liked you or not. ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 3, 2003, 01:01 PM »
Damn Brad, you had to go and make me like you.  Not much, but at least enough to tolerate you and those furball things ;)

Zeppelin would be in and out of the top five for me.  Usually in.  I have all the CDs having parted with vinyl some time ago (well, the last 100 albums went last year including some Zep).  

Favorite album would be I with Ramble On as a favorite song, but there really are so many.

Zeppelin was a huge favorite for me growing up.  For those who don't know me, I would have been about 15 when Bonham yakked himself to death.  We had tickets for the concert in Minneapolis and I was seriously pumped.  Going with a couple of buddies two years older than me.  Very, very sad day when he died.

For the other oldsters and probably only Bob and Dale can appreciate this (well, Bob might be too old ;)) but I vividly remember junior high (yep, 77-79) dances and the last song was almost always Stairway to Heaven.  The funniest part was some of the dances were done with the use of 8-track players (google it if you don't know, it's good for a laugh).  Of course 8-tracks in all their glory had uncerimonius switches in the program, four per tape, IIRC.  These would be represented by a large clunk-whirrr-clunk with the music dying at the start and then ramping up again.  That ALWAYS occurred during the part of the song where you basically got the nerve to get real close to the girl and maybe even put your hands on her back (*gasp*).  So there you are and the song is running...and she's buyyyyyyyying the Stairyway to heaven CLUNK... whrrrrrrrr....CLUNK...and the music starts up again.  I'm sorry I can't remember the exact passage in the song but it was pretty priceless, dramatic and mood ruining.  Shortly after the track switched the song sped up and everyone got confused as to whether it was a slow dance or a fast dance.  It was instructive to know whether the girl liked you or not. ;)
This has been bugging me for some time.  In the very begining of "Ramble On", before the guitars hit in.  What is that drumming sound???  Is he drumming on his thigh???  It sounds like sticks hitting on the leg of denim pants???
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 3, 2003, 01:45 PM »
Pulls Pink Floyd's Echoes out of the CD player, inserts Zeppelin II,  listens intently.

Hmm, is it just the way it's mixed?  Anyone seen it performed on a video.  Maybe he's using hands instead of sticks? Interesting, it continues through the song if you listen really closely, even when the guitars are riffing and the drums are being played.  Maybe castanets or something similar?  I don't have the liner notes here.

Retracting above post, I like Zeppelin II better than I.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #11 on: June 3, 2003, 02:06 PM »
It's been a long road to Tolerance,  :-*.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Led Zeppelin's Lord Of The Rings allusions-
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 03:21 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that several songs of Led Zeppelin's either blatanly or subliminally refer to LOTR?

Besides the obvious Battle of Evermore and Misty Mountain Hop, LOTR is mentioned in alot of other songs (Kashmir, Ramble On, etc).

Just wondered if I was the only one who noticed or cared.

Virex

Re: Led Zeppelin's Lord Of The Rings allusions-
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2003, 03:49 AM »
I looked into the Zeppelin/Tolkien connection myself, after Two Towers came out last year.  Found a bunch of different sites.  Here's one I found just now:

Stairway to Middle Earth - Led Zeppelin's Allusions to the Lord of the Rings

Zeppelin has a bunch of LOTR references, but this is always the one I think of first, from "Ramble On", since it's probably the most blatant:

"Twas in the Darkest depths of Mordor
I met a girl so fair,
But Gollum and the Evil One
Crept up and slipped away with her."

The "girl" is the ring, at least to me, anyway.  Interesting stuff.

(Side note:  I recently converted my Complete Studio Recordings 10-CD box set into MP3s, and put it all on one disc.  I'm not the biggest Zeppelin fan, but to hear their entire catalogue on one disc is very cool.)

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Led Zeppelin's Lord Of The Rings allusions-
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2003, 03:37 PM »
I love Zep, I noticed this a while ago...great connection though Angry Ewok and thanks for the link Verix!
Medical Droid Extrodinaire