Author Topic: Displaying  (Read 12475 times)

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Displaying
« Reply #15 on: April 7, 2005, 01:53 AM »
I must say, Derek, those stepped shelves are incredible.  Those are exactly what I'd like!  Are those the Expand-A-Shelves you are referring to?  I'm not familiar with them.  Please, tell me more!

Yeah, they're Expand-A-Shelf organizers for kitchen cupboards, I guess. They're sold in Housewares at Walmart. You find several different kinds on Google. It's just a little plastic staircase with adjustable width. It sort of telescopes, ya know? I love the way the figs display on them. :) Just wish I could do a better job pegging them. I'll measure them in a sec, so I can post the dimensions.

BTW, call me "Ook". Even if you meet at a con or something. I like it. :D

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 7, 2005, 02:43 AM »
BTW, call me "Ook". Even if you meet at a con or something. I like it. :D

Ook it is!

Thanks for the info.  I'll be keeping an eye out for them the next time I hit a Wal-Mart in the city (I'm in a town of 5000, so no Wal-Mart here).

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 7, 2005, 10:27 AM »
Ook

To fix that Domino Effect that you mentioned I use the Poster Putty or Poster Tack stuff on the feet. It works great. I have found that the figures that have a bit of a recessed bottom (Everything after the Orange Cards) it works better on than the original Orange Carded figures. The poster putty hides well and is veirtually unnoticable unless you have to use a lot of it to keep the figure standing up. I have also found that it works well to help figures hold onto their accessories, or keep hats/hemlets that dont fit over the hold head in place.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 7, 2005, 06:59 PM »
Ook

To fix that Domino Effect that you mentioned I use the Poster Putty or Poster Tack stuff on the feet. It works great. I have found that the figures that have a bit of a recessed bottom (Everything after the Orange Cards) it works better on than the original Orange Carded figures. The poster putty hides well and is veirtually unnoticable unless you have to use a lot of it to keep the figure standing up. I have also found that it works well to help figures hold onto their accessories, or keep hats/hemlets that dont fit over the hold head in place.

Good idea. I'd probably worry about the putty taking paint off, though. :(

I didn't get to measure these things last night. Try to do it this evening. Also, FYI, I think they run about $7 at Wally's.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 8, 2005, 04:18 AM »
I can't believe I don't have the dimensions of these things written down somewhere. It's kind of a pain trying to measure them with these figures on 'em. Anyway, it's about 14.5" wide closed, expanding to about 25". I think the one my PT figs are on is extended all the way. I'm seeing different brands online with slightly varying dimensions. This one's about 9" deep, and it's tallest step is about 3.75" high. I don't remember what brand this thing is; wish I had the label that came with it. There seems to be numerous ones online. Keep an eye open at Walmart.

Offline Aaron_D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 9, 2005, 12:53 AM »
How about this beauty over at SWS.com?

Probably not quite big enough to display all that many figures very well, but I'm sure it would work well for some other Star Wars items.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #21 on: April 9, 2005, 12:22 PM »
A while back in the RS forums, someone posted a link to something similar to that case, but it hung on the wall.  They purchased one or two and had all their loose figures in them.  I thought it was a great idea, although I still have yet to get one for myself.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 03:09 PM »
Anyone know where to aquire some nice display cabinets at reasonable prices?  I just have a bunch of plastic bookcases for the most part and would like something with glass or plexiglass doors to display my collection.  I also would like to avoid spending a fortune since I've already done that on my collection.  ;)

Anyone build their own cabinets and have instructions/tips?  I was thinking of maybe trying that as well.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2005, 01:52 AM »
Ikea or Jysk often have decent display cases. 

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2005, 08:40 AM »
If you go to the area where I have pictured some of my collection you will see an example of a display from Ikea (All the way at the bottom), and the display that I purchased from a local seller.

My Collection

Here is the link to the company that I purchased my display case from. Mind you that it cost me $600 two years ago. But it does the job I need it to do.

Showcase Design
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 08:41 AM by knashdx »
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline foolintherain76

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2006, 10:46 AM »
I use clear pushpins and basically firm up the figure against the wall.  Do you guys do this or do you actually hang the figures on the pushpins?  I suppose my way could indent the cardboard a little, but I'm afraid that hanging them on the pins might not look as neat.  you know, weight differences and cards not hanging straight, etc.  Any thoughts?

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2006, 10:00 PM »
I buy the clear cases, THEN use clear pushpins on the cases, that way I don;t damage the figure at all.

But, if you're not using cases, I would probably push the pin in as close to the cardback as possible "pinning" it to the wall, but carefull not to use ecessive force in pushing the pin in so far it leaves a huge intestation on the back.

Someone in another forum had some great pics of sort of a shelf made kind of rsting the cardbacks in a "slot" kinda neat.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)