Author Topic: Who actually exercises, and how?  (Read 21689 times)

Offline Depmode

• Jedi Initiate
  • Utinni!
    • View Profile
Re: Who actually "exercises," and how?
« Reply #15 on: April 4, 2003, 10:20 AM »
I'm still doing DDRMAX

Did it for 1 hour and 45 minutes last night :) i was dead when I was done lol
« Last Edit: April 4, 2003, 10:21 AM by Depmode »
James
DepmodeETS@aol.com
AIM: DepmodeETS
My lego collection: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Depmode

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: July 7, 2003, 03:40 PM »
Well, I took the plunge and did it

This morning the ole alarm went off at 6:30 AM and I got up, threw on my running shoes and ran around the block which then drove to be just under a mile

I have balooned up to a robust 217 pounds after 2 weeks on the road and 1 week of vacation.  Enough was enough, time to get on board the excersise bandwagon and hit my goal weight of 195 lbs

I'll keep you posted :-*

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 7, 2003, 03:55 PM »
Wanna race to get there?  We're not far off in weight, though I'd have to check mine.  

Maybe a friendly bet, single figure or something?  I'm still going pretty regularly but could use the added incentive.  Not to mention you'd have the added incentive of not having a couple of boxes of Frankenberry coming at you.   :D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: July 7, 2003, 04:13 PM »
I'll take it...anyone else in on the Great JD Weight Off Challenge?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 7, 2003, 04:18 PM »
Cool, mostly just a friendly bet with the fig thrown in for added incentive.  Big advantage to my competitors.  Mrs. bug just came back from Fargo loaded with a 4 lb tub of 'Red Vines' for me, 1/2 lb of 'Mike and Ike' and a box of Spree.  Guess I better eat em all up before I weigh myself. ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: July 7, 2003, 04:35 PM »
Cool, I'll also throw in Matt's Wife Patty who I think I have located in a Washington Post Office...

Who else?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #21 on: July 7, 2003, 04:41 PM »
Well, I'm just about in the exact same boat as Scott.  I am now 215 pounds, and I would love to get down to about 190 pounds.  My ideal weight thought would be 185.  I'm not about doing friendly bets, but I think we all should just give each other lots of friendly encouragement.

I'll tell you, my wife has lost 40 pounds on Weight Watchers, her step-dad lost 80 pounds on it, her mom lost 40 pounds on it, and I HAD lost 15 pounds (to get me down to 200).  If you really want to lose a lot of weight, Weight Watchers is the only thing that really works.  I had done the Atkins Diet, lost almost 25 pounds, but then gained it all right back because I started eating chocolate (my favorite).

I'll keep everyone posted as to my diet status.  Together, I think we can all lose weight.
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: July 7, 2003, 04:41 PM »
I'd also like to add, this contest is off limits to anyone who is below their recommended BMI Range of 19-25.  If you are in the range, there is no need to diet and you have an OK weight...me I'm 12 pounds above the range right now so I can still stand to loose some flabola

http://www.consumer.gov/weightloss/bmi.htm

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #23 on: July 7, 2003, 04:50 PM »
Scott, thanks for posting the link about the BMI.  I just figured out what mine is... 30.8.   :o  I have a long way to go to get to 25 or less.
dustrho

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 7, 2003, 04:58 PM »
Just a quick note about BMI.  I don't trust it.  It has been adjusted quite recently so that those that were not previously overweight or obese are so now as a result of lowering the weight.  At 6'1" I am supposed to weigh 182 lbs or so.  That's not bloody likely to happen.  

Back when I was in my early 20's and rowing competitively, I had a hard time getting under 180 and at one point tried to get under 170 to make lightweight class.  I made it down to 167 and was as weak as a kitten.  Comfortably, while rowing (body fat % = ~5%) I weighed in around 180.  

Now, I'll grant you that muscle weighs more than fat, but come on, I was working out 13 times a week for two hours at a shot, only three of those were weight training workouts.  The remainder could be considered cardio in nature.  I'll be perfectly happy in the 185-195 range.  

Be relatively fit, excercise regularly and eat well balanced meals (that can, on occasion, include "bad" stuff).  If you ain't happy and comfortable doing what you're doing, the weight won't stay off.  

FWIW, my BMI is currently estimated around 28.  My risk is "increased".  IN spite of the above rant, I think that is reasonably accurate.  I am not going to seriously alter my lifestyle to get under the BMI of 25.0 though.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 7, 2003, 05:01 PM »
Well count me out then as my BMI is about 18.4. So by that, I'm underweight. Tell me something I didn't already know.  ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: July 7, 2003, 05:02 PM »
I am not a whole hearted believer either but I don't want people entering the game here that don't need to loose weight to begin with (see chuckles).  If anything it just gives you something to shoot for since there is so much range in each height anyway.  If I got down to 180 like the BMI says I should, I'd blow over.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #27 on: July 7, 2003, 06:19 PM »
I started going to the gym last year. I'm about 6' 4 and I weighed over 220. I think I was at 225 at my worst. Anyway, these days I'm down to 195.  I go 2-3 times a week, alternate on weights and cardio, and eight whatever the hell I want to. I'm sure if I adjusted my diet I'd get even thinner, but I'm not interested in doing that.  :)

By the way, I'll say this: That BMI chart should not be considered accurate....as you have to get individual measurements done to calculate your own. If I go by that chart, mine is about 4 points higher at 195 and 6'4" than it was when they measured me at the gym awhile ago. And that was when I was at 200.  So don't put too much stock in the little web chart.   :)

I'd be happy to join the Jedidefender Weight-off, but I'm not sure what kind of goal I'd have to set.

« Last Edit: July 7, 2003, 06:20 PM by JoshEEE »
Got Clones?

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 7, 2003, 06:42 PM »
For most of my life since Junior High School I been overweight.  Right now I'm 6'5 and weigh around 274.  So I would be happy to join this weight off thon.  A few years ago I went on Atkins and was at 220 so I think that would be my goal again 220 lbs.  I just need to get in the mood to exercise.  The only things I could do would be walking and running on a tread mill since I don't have acess to a gym.  

Offline RJP

• Youngling
  • Hi! I'm Tammy from CA
    • View Profile
    • RJP'S PAGE
« Reply #29 on: July 7, 2003, 07:49 PM »
My husband and I just recently joined a gym. He works out 3-4 times a week for an hour and takes creatine. I work out a few times a week and take a few pilates classes. If you can find something you love to do then that is the best. I was a dancer in school and would dance for hours. I was in awsome shape, but now I have no where to dance til the little one's go to school so the gym has to do for now.