Author Topic: Who actually exercises, and how?  (Read 21709 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Who actually "exercises," and how?
« Reply #30 on: July 7, 2003, 08:13 PM »
Alright, I'm not quite sure I'm totally inspired enough to play along just yet, but my BMI did ring in at a robust 28, so I guess I ought to start doing some form of physical exercise pretty soon...   ::)  And Jim, for the hundreth time, go eat a fat cheeseburger, or ten!  18 BMI?!?  Sheesh...   ;)

But I think I'll probably wait until August 19th, when we move into our new place.  They've got tennis and basketball courts, a 9-hole golf course, a work-out room, a near olympic sized swimming pool, and finally... a ping-pong table!   :P  So when we move in there, Patty and I will be partaking in at least one of those activities on a near daily basis, so I should start to shed a few pounds at that time.

I'm 5'11" and am currently a whopping 201 pounds (withouth the bulky sweater on).  I should be down around 175, though I'd be pretty happy just to get myself into the 180-185 range on a permanent basis.  At least at that weight I could button my pants again...   :'(

Thank God for bulky sweaters!   ;D   :-*

And Scott, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could send Patty back on down here now that she's finally been located.  I'm sure she'd at least enjoy seeing her now house!  C'mon, you know she belongs to me, so just do the right thing now...   :-\

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 8, 2003, 12:14 AM »
Must.....bite.....tongue :P :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 8, 2003, 09:52 AM »
Well I checked with the BMI and it says I am at 28.8, but thats not all fat either ;)  Anyway I am game for a little weight reduction. Since I took a desk job the weight seems to come easier. I do work in a health supplement company so I should be healthy right.

Anyway I am at 210lbs now. I am in good overall shape but have a little tire forming I would like to deflate. I could stand to loose 10-20 lbs.  

I guess Im in. I will post my results as the summer goes on.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 8, 2003, 11:14 AM »
Exercise works, but that's not the answer I want to hear.  Meth keeps the weight off.  Ginseng helps increase your metabolism, and if you can find a lipodic acid supplement, it will burn fat even while you sleep.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 8, 2003, 01:07 PM »
Nice topic!  Although my current job is totally not relating to it, I actually graduated with my bachelor's in Exercise Physiology/Nutrition, all that good stuff, so I actually stay on top of working out fairly good.  I have always been somewhat active, but mostly relied on sports in HS to stay in shape.  When I got to college, I moved on to more "exercise" as well as playing hoops.  I'm still involved in basketball leagues throughout the year, but also include weights/treadmill in my "routine".  My wife and I work out 5-6 days a week.  I kind of agree that it is hard to go to a gym, in the winter it seems too cold, and in the summer it seems too nice to not go for a walk or something....so we basically do our working out at home.  We have a treadmill that we both use quite a bit, and a number of free weights that we both use as well.  My wife is also a bit of an exercise tape junkee, so we have a lot of those too, although I don't really use them, she enjoys them quite a lot.  We also take our dog for walks as much as we can when it is nice outside.  Although I'm not one of those super-energetic "yay everyone's working out" type of people you see on tv, it is nice to see so many people interested in getting in shape.  Once you get started, and do it on a consistent basis (having a supportive partner/friend helps too), it really becomes part of your regular routine I think.  Anything helps...always better than sitting around all day at work, then all night on the couch after work.  Like many of you have said, eating is key too....I think eating in moderation is a big thing...don't deprive yourself of stuff, but don't overdo it with it either.  My wife and I pretty much eat what we want, within reason, although we do avoid fast food for the most part (we do likes the occasional pizza :))...but that's easier for some than others, depending on your job, spouse/significant other, friends and lifestyle.  Anyways, best of luck to everyone with their fitness/health goals!  Not to sound cheezy, but you really will feel better and live longer :P.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2003, 01:09 PM by mosnab »

Offline Karma

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 8, 2003, 02:55 PM »
I was extrememly active (martial arts, skating, lifting) until about a year ago, when I started feeling run down and tired all the time.  I chalked it up to "getting older" and my weight steadily creeped up from 135 to 150.
While I'm not "fat" the extra weight did bother me, because my clothes started fitting tighter and I just didn't feel good. I t to the doctor, who did some tests, and I found out I am allergic to a bunch of foods- wheat, soy, corn, peanuts, and to a lesser extent milk. And since all those ingredients are in every day food (who knew there was corn in Rice Krispies?) I was basicaly gorging myself on allergens, which makes one's systems very tired. So I eliminated all that stuff from my diet and felt a little better, but still tired, and the weight stayed the same.
More tests. Now I've found I have hypothyroidism, which shed light on many things. I've started taking replacement thyroid hormones but haven't gotten to the point where my thyroid functions correctly yet. It's a slow process.

I read a book called "The Mood Cure" and it suggested I try "tyrosene", which is an amino acid. I've only been on it a week and already I feel a difference. I don't feel like napping at work, and my appetite has decreased slightly. I am hoping that when I've taken it for a little while my energy will be back up to my previous levels and I will want to hit the gym more often.

So the moral of this story is: if you previously were active and are now feeling sluggish, I would recommend asking your doctor for a thyroid function blood test. Hypothyroidism is quite common but often undiagnosed.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 8, 2003, 03:21 PM »
Heh, who says getting old is fun, eh?  NOt that I'm trying to imply anyone here is old, but it's one of those things never discussed as a side effect.  Your body does start to crap out on you in surprising ways.  

I was anemic for about a year and that really sucks it out of you too.  No real diagnosis for why, but I seem to be better.  

Karma, hopefully the tyrosene is under doctor's supervision.  too many folks take over the counter, herbal or other supplements.  As I have a strong leaning towards toxicology, that stuff makes me very nervous.  while I understand lots of folks make not like "chemical" type stuff (not implying you or anyone here), "natural" products are often much less tested, regulated and not necessarily stringently regulated.  Take care.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Karma

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 9, 2003, 02:19 PM »
My doc knows about the tyrosene, and I've been keeping an eye on stuff (pulse, blood pressure) while trying it. No side effects yet, but I am taking the smallest dose (500mg) right now.
Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 9, 2003, 04:33 PM »
Well the past several months I have been plagued by shin splints.  So, my long distance running has been put on the backburner for now.  In the meantime I have been doing light weighlifting (since all I can lift is light stuff to begin with) walking, and some biking.  Once in awhile a b-ball game or softball.  

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2003, 12:47 PM »
UPDATE:

I was doing really, really well...I think the low was last Monday when I was down to 212.  Throw in a week on the road and a weekend of fishing and stepping on the scale this morning led me to sight of 217.  SOB, back on the wagon!

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2003, 02:23 PM »
well I have been sick over the last week so I am down to 190 or so from 210.
Can't say it will stay off as now I have added temptation. I went and got myself a second job, so I manage (babysit) an Arbys at night. So far I have only brought home 3 cherry turnovers. Can't just throw them away ;)  I may put on a few pounds but the paychecks are pure play money ;D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2003, 11:47 AM by Reconsgt »
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2003, 02:26 PM »
Yeah, I was doing pretty well too for a while.  I was about 215, got down to 208 after dieting for 2 weeks, and now I gained it all back.  My brother is getting married next week and I'm his best man, so it's been pure stress the last couple of weeks (planning his bachelor party, speech at the reception, etc).  When I'm stressed out I eat.

But, after the wedding my wife and I are going 'hardcore' on the diet again.  I would love to get below 200, preferrably to at least 190.
dustrho

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2003, 05:44 PM »
I found the perfect exercise regimen for you, Matt: MOVE.

Between a 26-year-old toy collection and tons of comics, all moving FROM a three-story house TO another three-story house, I feel like I've been on a rowing machine for almost two solid weeks. So pack those boxes, grab a dollie, and use those muscles, sunshine!  :-*
Post sober.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2003, 05:59 PM »
I found the perfect exercise regimen for you, Matt: MOVE.

Funny, as I was just about to ask you how your move's going John!  Yep, I certainly figured I'd be worn out and torn up from moving, as I'll get to experience first hand in a couple weeks here.  Our move-in date is Aug. 19th, and I'm sure I'll be spending most of the month of September physically recovering...

Hell, I get exhausted just packing up a few trading packages and taking them to the post office for folks here on the boards!   :-\  It's gonna be a tough month, that's for sure!

But in addition to the physically draining move, I fully anticipate getting my Bulky Blocky Sweater Butt into better shape by using all of the sports ammenities at our new place: workout room, tennis, basketball, swimming, and golf!  If beating up on my wife in all those sports doesn't do the trick, I don't know what will...   ;D

So, does anyone have any updates on the great JD weight loss program we were discussing here a short while back?  I know I sure don't!   :-*

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2003, 10:34 PM »
Exercise,  What's that?  Anyway,  I try to lose weight,  but it keeps finding me... ::)