Author Topic: Who actually exercises, and how?  (Read 21593 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Who actually "exercises," and how?
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2003, 11:20 AM »
Matt, don't get yourself all depressed about being overweight.  I'm 5'10" and used to be 185 in college with a lot of muscle, because I used to work out all the time and put in at least 5 hours of basketball each day.  Once I got married I ballooned to 225!   :o  I had a nice round face, but luckily the fat was spread throughout my body so it wasn't like I had this huge gut.  I was just fed up with it about a month ago, and I am back on the Atkins Diet.  In 3 weeks I have lost 15 pounds.  I'm sleeping much better, have more energy, haven't felt sick at all, and I definitely look like I've lost some weight.  I have persuaded 3 other people at work to go on it, and my in-laws are also on it.  We've all lost weight.

I have no desire to get off this diet.  It's made me feel so much better about myself.  I look so much better too.  I have learned there's no reason why I need to stuff myself with sweets, pastries, cakes, candies, etc., because all that crap turns into instant fat... unless you go out running several miles.  I'm much better off without that crap.  My goal is to lose 30-40 pounds (half way there).

Matt, just keep your head up high, and try to find the right diet or exercise routine that fits your lifestyle best.  Maybe give the Atkins Diet a try.  If you need any help with that just let me know.
dustrho

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2003, 11:54 AM »
So the Atkins diet does work for you guys?
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2003, 12:12 PM »
Matt, just keep your head up high, and try to find the right diet or exercise routine that fits your lifestyle best.

Well, I ain't depressed over it or anything like that really.  Just embarrassed.  Disappointed I still can't motivate my lazy ass as well.  But I think once we're more settled in to the new place, and I have some more free time, Patty and I will be hitting the tennis and basketball courts, and golf course a lot more often, so that should help.

Of course, if we hadn't lost the keys to the facilities here (tennis, pool, weight room, sauna) when we were moving in, I'd probably be using those things from time to time.  Still hoping to track those down, since I don't want to spend $100 to replace them!   :-X

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2003, 08:02 PM »
So the Atkins diet does work for you guys?

It's been working just fine for me.  Three weeks and 15 pounds gone.  I want to lose 30 pounds by Christmas, and I should easily accomplish that.  :)

If anyone needs details about it just shoot me an email.
dustrho

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2003, 09:36 PM »
Chris as I said before...the Atkins works great as long as you stay on that low carb diet for the rest of your life.  Lifestyle change is the only way to permenant weight loss.

I think it is great that you are doing so well, keep up the good work, I just have heard a lot of stories of people gaining back more weight 6-8 months after they stop the Atkins diet...

Moderation...smaller portions and excersize is the key.  I agree that things like candy, pop and beer should be totally eliminated...but I think it would be almost impossible to maintain a lifetime of avoiding fruits, breads, grains and other sugars.

Just some food for thought...myself I am a huge proponent of Weight Watchers as I have said before.  What they preach is serving size and keeping within your daily caloric and fat intakes by reducing portion size (you would be amazed at what an actual portion of food is) and keeping daily track of what you are eating.  It gets you in a habit of knowing how much you should be eating...you can't go out and have that Big Mac every day with super size fries, but you can have a cheesburger and a small fry which is about what you be eating.

I'll also stand by the fact that cutting out pop/soda/beer is huge...switch to diet if you haven't.  I was anti-diet mainly based on taste but once I got used to it I rarely drink the sugar stuff any more.  Way too sweet and way way to high in empty calories

OK...I'm still at around 212-215.  Looks like my last few posts were right about the time I found out the news myself.  Since my wife can't diet anymore, it sort of gives me little motivation to do it too :-\  Haven't really made an effort to lose weight but so far I have avoided the pregnancy 15 that goes with pregnant wives.  I put that on big time with JediMAX.  Hope to keep that off and continue on maintaining, and possibly lose some more weight.  Tough to do without a gym membership in the Winter in Minnesota though :-*

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2003, 12:55 AM »
Heh, me no fan of diets.  I'm really pleased the Atkins is working for those that use it and I wish you all the best.  I simply don't have the willpower to do that.  I like food.  I like all kinds of food.  

I agree that things like candy, pop and beer should be totally eliminated...but I think it would be almost impossible to maintain a lifetime of avoiding fruits, breads, grains and other sugars.

And I disagree.  Your preceding statement about moderation is the key, as you indicated.  I think we've all just forgotten what moderation is.  Remember how often you had chocolate or pop as a kid?  Not bloody often I'll wager.  Having a serving or two a week is no great crime.  The difference I would hazard is most of us have it daily, if not twice daily (especially post Halloween).

The dangerous part of that statement, and if it indeed is part of the Atkins diet, is a lifetime of avoiding fruits.  Huge no-no.  Fiber, vitamins, anti-oxidants, other anti-cancer agents.  Just not a wise thing to do.  I'll happily argue food recommendations with anyone but I will never contest the importance of fruits (and vegetables).  There are so many anti-pesticide activists out there that rail against the use of pesticides and how they cause cancer, yet all they succeed in doing is getting people to reduce their intake of fruits and vegetables.  Not much makes me madder than that.  

but you can have a cheesburger and a small fry which is about what you be eating.
Amazing what happens when you switch from the Super size meal to the kids meal.  And a bonus toy too! :)  That is one change I've made and I do get hungry sooner, but I'm not less full.  A snack later evens it out.  Or lots of water.

I'll also stand by the fact that cutting out pop/soda/beer is huge...switch to diet if you haven't.  
I'll second this as well (maybe not the beer part ;)) but a straight switch to whiskey works wonders, eh Scott?  Oops, sorry, meant the diet pop.  I am absolutely addicted to diet Dr. Pepper and unfortunately it isn't carried in convenience stores here (six packs of bottles in Cincinnati - heaven).  Huge reduction in calories.  

And after jumping off the soap box ::) I'm happy to report I'm stable at 205.  Wishing to get down more, but Cincy was damaging and I was sick for about a week before.  Ramping back up the exercise now.  Two nights a week on the bike, two weight workouts and two basketball nights a week ;D  I started back in March and hope that by the coming March I get down to around 195 and can keep it there.  That would be 35 pounds off.  

Good luck one and all.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2003, 09:29 AM »
As I understand the Atkins, some fruits are allowed, high carb (ie sugar) fruits are not which is most of them

Good point about the pop Brent, I can remember having one pop a week growing up, now it is in every store by the thousands.  If I weren't so dang addicted to caffiene it would be a bit easier to cut out.  

Just wanted to reiterate that I am glad the diet is working for you Chris...I just want to give the alternate facts to the diet so people can make some informed decisions about it...it does work, I know a lot of people who have had success, it is the long term I guess I wonder about

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2003, 01:27 PM »
Urp, 206.  Hersheys.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2003, 02:16 PM »
Chris as I said before...the Atkins works great as long as you stay on that low carb diet for the rest of your life.  Lifestyle change is the only way to permenant weight loss.

I think it is great that you are doing so well, keep up the good work, I just have heard a lot of stories of people gaining back more weight 6-8 months after they stop the Atkins diet...

Moderation...smaller portions and excersize is the key.  I agree that things like candy, pop and beer should be totally eliminated...but I think it would be almost impossible to maintain a lifetime of avoiding fruits, breads, grains and other sugars.

Just some food for thought...myself I am a huge proponent of Weight Watchers as I have said before.  What they preach is serving size and keeping within your daily caloric and fat intakes by reducing portion size (you would be amazed at what an actual portion of food is) and keeping daily track of what you are eating.  It gets you in a habit of knowing how much you should be eating...you can't go out and have that Big Mac every day with super size fries, but you can have a cheesburger and a small fry which is about what you be eating.

I'll also stand by the fact that cutting out pop/soda/beer is huge...switch to diet if you haven't.  I was anti-diet mainly based on taste but once I got used to it I rarely drink the sugar stuff any more.  Way too sweet and way way to high in empty calories

OK...I'm still at around 212-215.  Looks like my last few posts were right about the time I found out the news myself.  Since my wife can't diet anymore, it sort of gives me little motivation to do it too   Haven't really made an effort to lose weight but so far I have avoided the pregnancy 15 that goes with pregnant wives.  I put that on big time with JediMAX.  Hope to keep that off and continue on maintaining, and possibly lose some more weight.  Tough to do without a gym membership in the Winter in Minnesota though

I'm glad you posted that about the Atkins diet, OCB.  I agree, I am more than happy for anyone who is having luck with this diet, and losing weight, and I'm not trying to discredit them in any way.  I was actually an Exercise Phys. major in college (although I don't work in it now), and had to take countless hours of Nutrition classes along the way.  The long term effects of the Atkins diet on the vital organs is unknown, and just like OCB said...really the only way to maintain things correctly is to make a lifestyle change.  I personally don't believe in "diets" for this exact reason, I really think you just have to change your eating habits.  But...to each their own.  The only reason I'm posting this is just like OCB said, to offer the other side of things.  Be careful with some diets, although they might help you lose the weight...the long term effects on heart, kidneys, etc. could be counteracting that.  And you are right about portion size, when we went through that in college we were amazed at how small many portion sizes are.  I think if more people understood that, we wouldn't have nearly the obesity problems we have in this country...although the fast food joints don't exactly help that any.  I hope that this didn't sound "preachy" in any way at all...best of luck to any of you who are trying to lose weight, in whatever methods you are using.  I just wanted to post this to offer the other side of the coin, because even though I don't know many of you personally...I do care about your health, and would hate for you to have health problems because of any extreme diets.  To each their own, and good luck to everyone :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2003, 03:28 PM »
Urp, 206.  Hersheys.

I had the squirts this morning as well...   :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2003, 03:56 PM »
Urp, 206.  Hersheys.

I had the squirts this morning as well...   :-\
TMI

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2003, 04:30 PM »
TBM ???

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 7, 2004, 10:16 AM »
Bumping this up for those that have had the MUNCHIES!   ;)   ;D

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
« Reply #73 on: May 7, 2004, 05:54 PM »
Well I was reading dustrho thread and it reminded me of myself. I started weightlifting and doing some form of aerobics about two years in 7months I lost about 40lbs and have kept most of it off for over 1 1/2 year. I didn;t really diet just made a lifestyle change I dumped drinking soda, and eat a lot of fruitsinstead of Candy(which was my vice) I have plateaued at this point and doing things like carb up one weekend and then flush my system to jump start it and it causes me to play  with the last 5 lbs I struggle with.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: May 7, 2004, 06:32 PM »
I gained enough this winter I decided to join a gym...  I've not worked out routinely since I was "young" when I played hockey.  It's a shock, and even then I didn't work out on gym equipment...  It was freeweights and practices that kept me in shape then.

I went from the 180's this time last year (or even 170's, I forget) all the way to the 190's over winter...  I'm bordering 200 lbs. now, at 5'11", and while I've got a lot of muscle in my body (my arms are way small though, always were), I am just not in shape.  Definitely not tone, and need to work on it.  

So, I go to a gym here...  It sucks.  It's life though.

I too, am hooked on junk like IOC was...  It's tough eating fruit and getting the same satisfaction, though I've 95% dumped soda for health reasons (Kidney stones) and drink bottled water almost exclusively now.  That's at least sort of healthy.

Unfortunately, I love carbs...  Bread I can't get enough of.  I like Pasta, and I can put away a lot of food.  I get Ice-cream a lot too, and need to simply stop, or at least curtail it dramatically.  Pizza's nasty and I eat it more than I should...  

In my family, it's not easy eating healthy though, so I struggle.  

I'm taking fat burners now though, working out, starting some training for things I used to do (not hockey, but I used to do some light boxing training and other things like that which I'm starting again to parallel walking/running for an aerobic workout).  At the gym it's using the machines, and not much freeweights...  Not right now.  

I went from 34 waist to 36, and it's been a pain trying to get back to 34's...  I feel horrible about my self-image though, but it's tremendously difficult to change that.  They say the heavier you are, the easier it is to "change", and that it's the people who want to tone up or just lose a size or two in clothing who have the hardest time.

I concur with that assessment.  :(  I feel like I'm spinning my wheels sometimes.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77