Author Topic: Kids and ROTS (SPOILERS)  (Read 12905 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Kids and ROTS (SPOILERS)
« Reply #15 on: April 5, 2005, 02:06 PM »
I don't think it will be on DVD in the Fall.  Maybe next Feb. or something.

:P

There is already a release date believe it or not for the Fall Holiday season.  Same as what was done for EP1 and E2. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 5, 2005, 02:15 PM »

I also have thought about the day when I finally get to show my boys the movies and we start with 1 and 2 and then we have to skip 3 for 4,5 and 6.  Its sort of dumb on one hand that they decided to do PG for 1 and 2 but decided to go all out for 3.  It should have been all or none.  Maybe its a sign that they realize this is an adult based franchise after all :P

I do agree Scott, there's going to be some backlash.  But your above quote does a nice job summarizing of what all of us fanboys have been thinking for a long time, just saying it differently.  The "first" two movies weren't what they should be and that's part of my rant above about the Ewoks.  I think the movies' focus shifted once someone (i.e. Lucas, Hasbro, etc.) realized that something cute sells well.  All of a sudden we've got all sorts of sidelines going on in the stories (and to me, detracting from) that really are not necessary aside from perhaps broadening the interest to keep the whole family from the 4 year old, to mom, to dad, to the teenager happy.  I think you're right that they realized what they should have previously and the box office returns and critical reviews perhaps finally got through.  

I remember the first copy I picked up of Leonard Maltin's (sp?) movie review book.  All three Star Wars movies were very highly rated, only ROTJ not having four stars I believe.  Take a look at a more recent copy that includes the prequels.  They didn't do so well.  We've all discussed it previously.  It's just not a happy go lucky movie franchise.  There's all manner of Nazi-esque overtones to it.  

I'm in the same boat, how do you show your kids this?  My daughter loves certain aspects of AOTC.  She's largely bored of TPM right from the start.  But the strangest thing was the first time we watched ANH - immediately upon seeing Vader she was scared.  She did not like him at all.  She'd seen Maul with his grotesque face and it didn't bother her at all.  Vader was the embodiment of evil and she picked it up right away.  The only other time she reacted in that way was to the witch in Snow White, pretty much a terrifying caricature when looked at objectively as well.  Quite possibly more evil than Vader when you think about your own stepmother ordering your murder :o

I was 13 when I saw Star Wars so there wasn't much fear involved. Mind you this was about a year or so after we sneaked into the theater through the back door to watch the Exorcist.  Wanna talk about ******* with a kids mind?  I still can't watch that movie.

How do you feel about showing the boys ANH and ESB?  I'll certainly agree that what you listed for ROTS is beyond what they should be watching, but what about serving up some smoked Beru and Owen?  How will you handle that.  

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: April 5, 2005, 02:32 PM »
I think I was planning on waiting at least until they were 5 (again remembering my own reactions)  Its different now then it was then in that we could watch them over a few weeks (instead of waiting 3 years), I know what is coming (while my parents didn't) etc

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 5, 2005, 02:45 PM »
I think I was planning on waiting at least until they were 5 (again remembering my own reactions)  Its different now then it was then in that we could watch them over a few weeks (instead of waiting 3 years), I know what is coming (while my parents didn't) etc

What I hate to say, and I do not agree with this is that kids grow up alot quicker and unfortuneately are exposed to certan things at an earlier age.  Please, dont anyone bring up bad parenting on this one.  My wife and I are probably sometimes overprotective.  Scott, my son is the same age as your older boy and at first I did not want to expose him to this stuff at such an early age.  Well he was, and there is not one scene in any of the 5 released movies that bother him.  My only regret to him seeing these movies is that he has become somewhat obsessed with them and wishes to view them everyday, which we do not let him.  My wife curses me that my SW gene was passed to him.  He has that same sparkle when he sees these movies which is what attracted me at an early age.  When I saw SW on the big screen I was 8.  And to be honest, that first appearance of Vader did not sit well with me and I was terrified. Times change.   Now, this does not mean i'm going to go out this weekend and bring him to Sin City.  There are extremes. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: April 5, 2005, 02:53 PM »
I think I'd let Max watch them now though too (with some FF in some parts), the War Department on the other hand would put the clamps down rather quickly.  So, I have to respect her wishes and let it slide for a few years.  Not a huge deal because I can wait and it means the toys are safe for a few more years.

Max is in love with the lightsabers though when we go to Target or TRU.  He also likes R2 and 3PO quite a bit.  So, while I agree with you Jim that he could handle it (especially with Power Rangers and other crap that is on TV) I have to keep peace in the upper echelons of Casa Pearson ;)

That said, I haven't changed my stance on ROTS, I think parents will be shocked by the graphic nature of the movie while expecting ROTJ or TPM

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 5, 2005, 02:57 PM »

Oh I agree it is different in that you know what precisely will be coming.  Kids often surprise you too and don't get scared by what you expect.  My daughter has seen most of the movies because initially she had no fear at all, that is something that with her at least, seemed to develop later, around age 3.  She used to watch Snow White with no problems at all.  I don't think she really understood what was going on prior to that.  Now she clearly does.  

Presuming ROTS is all we expect, I'll be keeping that movie from her for quite some time to come (she turns 5 next week).  Not suggesting that your choice is wrong at all, just that she's not a fan and really doesn't need to see the movie for any real reason.  She likes Padme, she likes watching the beasts in the arena battle and DVD makes it nice so you can scan/skip parts pretty easily if you're watching with them.  But at least for my daughter, 5 is too young to really comprehend the whole Saga in sequential order, particularly with all sorts of nastiness coming in the next movie.  

My earliest movie memories that inspired fear include Snow White (is witch-fear passed on genetically?) and then two movies I cannot recall.  One I think was possibly a Disney movie, but it had Banshees in it and they absolutely scared the crap out of me.  I vividly remember them chasing a horse drawn carriage with children in it in the dark.  Another was a weird movie about a flood in Europe and two children have to survive it after they see their drowned mother :o  I still have no idea why we went to see that movie or what it was called, but my sister and I went alone and I had nightmares for months afterwards about my mother drowning.  

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 5, 2005, 03:05 PM »
I don't think it will be on DVD in the Fall.  Maybe next Feb. or something.

There is already a release date believe it or not for the Fall Holiday season.  Same as what was done for EP1 and E2. 

Really?  Seems odd...  but I'm all for that.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 5, 2005, 03:24 PM »
I think I'd let Max watch them now though too (with some FF in some parts), the War Department on the other hand would put the clamps down rather quickly.  So, I have to respect her wishes and let it slide for a few years.

That was my downfall and I hear it everyday ;)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 5, 2005, 04:09 PM »
My dad talked my mom into bringing me to Star Wars when I was 3 years old in 77.  The only scene that bothered oddly enough was when Luke stumbles upon the message in R2-D2.  Princess Leia's hologram pops out of nowhere and the music is really loud and out of nowhere fast.  It scared me.  During the other times I would see it in the theatre I made sure to use the bathroom so I would not be there for that scene.  LOL! 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 5, 2005, 05:07 PM »
I can vaguely remember seeing ESB in theatres.  I was 3 years old.  I remember seeing the AT-AT's and they did scare me some.

When I was 6 years old though nothing in the movies scared me when I saw ROTJ, I loved it all.  Even the Friday the 13th movies were awesome in my book.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: April 5, 2005, 05:17 PM »
My point is, is that this stuff is 100x worse than anything thats been in any SW movie and people I think are thinking its going to be like the other 5

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 5, 2005, 07:05 PM »
My point is, is that this stuff is 100x worse than anything thats been in any SW movie and people I think are thinking its going to be like the other 5

Exactly.  The numbers for showings could suffer with many children not going, but I think Lucas will earn alot more respect if he sticks to his guns and does not bow to a rating change like he mentioned on the 60 Minutes documentary. Plus, because of the dark content, alot of people will go to multiple showings which will make up a large part in sales. In order to tell the story we must be shown that the little Anakin from EP1 is really heartless and cold in his downfall. 

Although I wouldnt want him to change anything for the release, I wouldnt be upset if you had the option on the DVD to choose a more friendly version for kids. This would  be fairly simple to do.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 5, 2005, 10:12 PM »

No argument at all.

Guess they could release a cut-up director's cut; a toned down version rather than what usually happens.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 5, 2005, 10:14 PM »
Even the Friday the 13th movies were awesome in my book.

Were? You watch your mouth!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 5, 2005, 11:44 PM »

I agree that it's all going to be harsh.  This is going to be THE MOST violent Star Wars movie of all.  No doubt about it, it's lining up to be that way.

The thing that I'm wondering is this:  will George treat it such a manner as to make it "cinematic" and mildly acceptable, or will it be outwardly brutal?  I think that's the fine line that this movie is going to straddle.  That could make this movie a tough sell as well.  At least to kids.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback