Author Topic: Women's Day Space Station – Complete!  (Read 46617 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Women's Day Space Station – Picture Update
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 03:50 PM »
I'll tell you a cool story another time.

Next Wednesday should be perfect.  8)

My grandpa passed away just last year, and I'm still missing him very much (despite the fact he never built me a cool SW set like that  ;)).  Grandpas really do rule.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 03:52 PM by JediMAC »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 03:56 PM »
Yep, Grandpas are the best.  My mother's dad passed away in 1984 so I never really got to know him.  I am fortunate that at 87 years old, my father's dad is still alive and doing quite well.  Spend as much time with them as you can - the older you get, the more you seem to realize how precious their lives are.

Yeah Dean Paul - a Stormtrooper barracks would be pretty sweet.  Maybe even a cafeteria.   :)

:P

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 01:30 AM »
I live with my Granpa, and I'm very blessed to be here. I'm glad he's still alive too. He made me a set of swords and sheilds for a skit I did in a school play once. He buys me all my shelving material for my dioramas, it's his way of indirectly hinting I should buy new figures. :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 04:33 PM »
I've moved into elevation studies.

Originally, I wanted a lot of space for ships to land - I saw a lot of landing platforms. Well, it became ALL landing space, so I carved it up a little more and added some of the "people" areas from the original. I also added the monorail back into the design, because it lost the nostalgia without it.

I need to add some details and refine some of the supports and connections. More later.

"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2005, 04:35 PM »
Your very talented. Did you do that all in coding, or are you running off of a program, Deanpaul?

Kevin

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Women's Day Space Station – Picture Update 04/14/05
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 08:31 PM »
Thanks Kevin.

I'm not sure what you mean by "code". I used an application called FormZ to create the images posted above.

It's really great for architectural and form studies. I use it professionally, so I'm pretty fast at generating an image if I have the design clear in my head.

I'm not sure about the circle shaped openings. They were in the original and also in my grandfather's version, but I may move to more of a Death Star blast shield door opening or Tantive IV hallway opening. Not sure, so I'll try a few options and share them when they're done.

Thanks again.

Offline Owen D

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Owens Customs
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 11:26 PM »
Just a thought, but how about reducing the base area (if that was a concern) by making it three levels high instead of two.  Also, why not run the monorail from the base to the upper level, it might emphasize the playsets elevation and the monorail itself.  Just throwing some ideas out there, Owen D

D'oh!
I went back and looked at those pics and I guess it is 3 levels high, I guess I meant it might be interesting to make the third levels close to other levels in size.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 11:49 PM by Owen D »
Don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2005, 11:36 PM »
Three level might look cool...

Also, I have to say that I feel pretty stupid and out of my league after seeing your 3D design Dean Paul.

BTW - what's the blue tube thing?  A transport device or something?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 11:41 PM »
Three level might look cool...

Also, I have to say that I feel pretty stupid and out of my league after seeing your 3D design Dean Paul.

Deanpaul is one word. I wasn't aware of this either till 2 weeks ago.

Kevin

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 11:46 PM »
...dead silence............hears crickets............

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005, 12:40 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

This thing is bigger than it looks in the renderings - I keep going back to where I taped out the floor to see how a ship will fit on a certain platform and what kind of clearance different ground vehicles need.

One thing I am worried about is how my son will be able to reach parts of the station interior. I'd rather he not climb onto it - the levels will need to be bullet proof as it is.

Just a thought, but how about reducing the base area (if that was a concern) by making it three levels high instead of two.  Also, why not run the monorail from the base to the upper level, it might emphasize the playsets elevation and the monorail itself.  Just throwing some ideas out there, Owen D

It's kind-of three levels - but the third is pretty minimal. Only the upper monorail station has a third floor. BTW - those are elevator cars in between the arched monorail supports - that's another play feature I kept from the original, except I put it on both sides.

I'm planning to have a base for it that has openings for storage containers. I'd like the height of what looks like the ground level here to be about the height of the AT-AT door off the floor. That way, the Imperials can walk up and unload troops into the city, and I have extra room to store all the parts and pieces that are out of play rotation.

I tried having the monorail end at the ground level, but the angle of the rail cut into too much of one of the platforms. I was also worried about my son getting carried away with gravity and the car if the slope was too great.

I've been doing environmental design for 10 years now. I studied theater design and industrial design at two different universities, and I'm starting to hit a professional stride as a trade show / retail / museum interpretive designer. I've been using FormZ since 1997, so I'm pretty familiar with it.

It's based on the monorail from the Women's Day magazine. The blue tube will be two 1/8" wall thickness half spheres with a 6" cylinder between them - like a Tylenol capsule. It's got a side opening and a floor - I'm thinking about making some benches for the inside of it so figures can sit down like on the subway or a tram.

Deanpaul is one word. I wasn't aware of this either till 2 weeks ago.

Thanks Kevin. No worries about the name. I've seen/heard it all. The internet is weird when it comes to user names and spelling anyway, but Deanpaul is actually my real world name.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 12:42 AM by Deanpaul »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2005, 04:34 PM »
Well, it's been a while... and I wanted to bump this thread.  Anything new going on with this Deanpaul?

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2005, 08:07 PM »
Wow. Those renderings are very cool.  In fact, they remind me of the Death Star  in an early McQuarrie--the one with the Stormtroopers carrying the shields and the lightsabers.

Pehaps you could look at some of that McQuarrie art and make a "concept" playset!

Keep up the great work.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 08:09 PM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2005, 09:39 AM »
So, it's been some time since I did anything with this project, but I've been working on the lay out for about a week now.

I've got a parts sheet to a friend who runs a CNC to see if he can get them cut out before the weekend. If he can I'll be able to finish this in time for Christmas for my son Leif.

The monorail transport is giving me the most trouble. Finding a 4"d hollow hemisphere with .125 wall thickness has been impossible. I've tried local plastics suppliers and the net. I asked for between 4"o.d. and 6"o.d. and no one carries anything that small. Several could make one, but the set up time would make it a pretty expensive item. Right now I'm planning to just cap the ends of the tube with a flat piece of 1/2" acrylic cut to the size of the tube. Not the end of the world.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 09:41 AM by Deanpaul »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Women's Day Space Station – Picture Update 12/14/05
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2005, 03:35 PM »
Very cool to see you are still pursuing this.  I've been wondering about it.  Very, very much looking forward to seeing some more updates.   :)