Author Topic: Star Wars Celebration III: Indianapolis  (Read 118309 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Celebration 3 is heating up.
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2004, 05:46 PM »
Alrighty, now that we've just lopped off a page out of here, I'll cut part of my prior post and stick it in here:

My question for people attending:  What's more important to you - proximity to the event, or finding more affordable accomodations?  I can tolerate about $100 a night, and don't mind walking several blocks to get to the convention if I have to.  If it means I'll be saving several hundred bucks that I can spend IN the convention or at night hanging out with friends, then that's cool!  But I'm not really excited at the prospect of dropping several hundred a night, just so I can walk down my hotel hallway directly into the convention center.  I'm lazy, but not that lazy...

So wow much are you willing to spend, and/or how far are you willing to walk or drive to get there?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #136 on: February 18, 2004, 05:57 PM »
In response to the question posed by JediMac in the split thread...

Which is now below your response to it here...   :P

Another reason for wanting proximity to the convention center is because most of the fun will be happening there and should I need to get back to the hotle for any reason.

Actually, that's a pretty good point there Andrew.  I guess if you wind up staying more than a few blocks away, but plan on hanging out and socializing in or around the convention afterwards, you best be able to do it with whatever stuff you have on you.  So if you've got 6 bags full of the new Jedi Rick McCallum exclusive figure that you don't want to tote around all night while you're chumming it up with your pals, you better be able to get them back to your room in a reasonable amount of time...

On a related note, how many people would folks here be willing to share a hotel room with in order to cut costs?  For me, I could handle a good 3 or 4 others, I suppose - as long as they don't fart too much.  But I think it'd be fun pal'ing up overnight with your buddies.  I don't need some big spacious private room all to myself.  I'd much rather have fun with a group of folks all staying together.  That's if I don't bring Patty along again, which remains to be seen...   :P

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2004, 06:09 PM »
The sharing of rooms is a good plan.But dosen't the rate go up if you have a lot of people?

Anyway,I'm planning on sharing a room with another member here,but the more the merrier I say.So long as it dosen't turn into one of those boarder line prison movie things that Anime con sharing so often turns into *shuders*
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2004, 06:42 PM »
But dosen't the rate go up if you have a lot of people?

Only if the hotel knows about it...   ;)

People do this all the time though - book a room for "two", but then sneak up a few more.  If you're not an idiot about it, there's little chance of getting caught.  In fact, I'm not sure if I've ever heard of someone getting busted for this.

I've certainly been involved in this "scheme" a good 30 or more times in my life...  Heck, I've done this several times for bachelor parties in Vegas just in the last year or two alone.  Pile 5, 6, 7 fellas in a "2 person" room.  No biggie...  Of course, a nice sized suite helps to accomodate even more!   8)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 18, 2004, 06:53 PM »
Well,yeah,of coarse you don't tell them about it!But,I suppose even if you were caught you could make up a crafty excuse.
My one problem about bunking is sharing bathrooms,can you imagine going to the shower last?Ewwww,you'd have to get up damn early too,since the lines for th event start forming a good four hours befour it starts.

Anyway,the question I pose to everyone:

Who has ever been to room party?I have,and let me tell you when some of those people get drunk  :-X ,but that's another story.My question is would anyone be up for a room party?

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 18, 2004, 06:54 PM »
I want to be close, no matter what the price.  I go in costume and I tote around a husband who gets bored quick and likes to go back to the room and watch sports and drink while I socialize with my SW buddies.

Besides, being in costume requires changes (because, of course, I have more than one-I think it's a female thing as all my girlfriends are bringing several) and it's easier to run across the street than driving back to a hotel and then hoping to find a parcking spot when you get back.

They blocked rooms in the past and I'm sure they have enough blocked off right now in and around the convention center for those that hit the net (or the phone lines) the first few days the stuff is posted.

Anways, I don't remember too much of my room because I was one of those crazy people who stayed out all night to be in the front of the line when the doors opened  :-*.

Beth

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2004, 07:02 PM »
Costume!D'uh!How could I forget?It is neccesary to have a change of close .The only bad part is the fact that my feet will be on absolutly DEAD after it sice my costume involves Calvary boots.

Another good reason is that if you get lost or seperated,you're in a central location,or if something gets stolen,security will be pretty solid.

EDIT:I said ''close close''
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 07:02 PM by Supreme General Vator »

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2004, 08:42 PM »
I'm planning to be as close to the convention center as I can this time around.  Last time I was in the Courtyard by Marrioit a few blocks away (1 mile or so).  The one problem I had was having to walk in the early morning 3 or 4 to get a great place in line.  I hoping to get something just across the street so that I don't have to worry about figuring out how long it would take me to walk to the place and so on.  I'm also waiting to see where the Vintage collectors are planning to have they hotel sales so I can plan on getting settled in a different hotel.
Hopefully the JD crew can get together while we are there.

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2004, 09:03 AM »
As far as rooms go for me. The closer the better. I agree with Beth and a few others about being in costume. I have armor and its nice to get out of that stuff at the end of the day. I personally like the added convience of just walking a short distance as opposed to traffic and parking hassels.

As for sharing a room. For me thats the preferd route . Save a few bucks and in reality how long are you in the room? Unless your drinking with the guys your sleeping or out and about.  And Matts right pick some people who wont fart and blow the windows out of the joint ;)

Basically I am hoping to hook up with a few guys from one of the sites and do a room share.   Any takers?  I don't stink ;)   I got good taste in beer and cigars ;D
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2004, 09:08 AM »
Any takers?  I don't stink ;)   I got good taste in beer and cigars ;D

Beer & Cigars!  Whoo Hoo!  ;D  

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2004, 03:51 PM »
Yeah,us younger guys will drink too,Diet Coke  :-\

So what's the major concensus on how you're going to get ot indy?Plain,Train, or car?

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2004, 04:42 PM »
Well for me. I will be driving to Indy. If I remember right that last time I went there it took me about 8 hours. I am in Green Bay so I think I took 41 or 43 down. I would have to look at the map to be certain.   I do remember it felt like it took forever to get there. I was going to the Indy 500 that trip. Now that was a fun experiance.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2004, 05:49 PM »
Yup. I've said it before but since I plan to bring at least one suit of armor (probably two by next year) I'll want instant access to my room at any given time.

I also tend to buy a lot of crap, and I don't want to haul it around all day when I could just go up and plunk it down in my room. For a vacation I've been looking forward to for 3 years, I don't plan to skimp those last couple of bucks when it comes to location.  Besides....what you save in room costs, you lose in time at the convention wasted on travel or taxis. Ok maybe not 100% of that, but it's definitely a factor you have to take into consideration. If time is money, and you're spending time traveling back and forth to your distant hotel....did you really save money?

Besides....Try walking a few blocks in armor and then tell me if you want to stay downtown. ;D
Got Clones?

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2004, 06:39 PM »
Well for me. I will be driving to Indy. If I remember right that last time I went there it took me about 8 hours. I am in Green Bay so I think I took 41 or 43 down. I would have to look at the map to be certain.   I do remember it felt like it took forever to get there. I was going to the Indy 500 that trip. Now that was a fun experiance.

I'm two hours north of you and it took us 10 hours.  It's so blasted boring from the top of Indiana until you get to Indianapolis....I think that is why is seems so long, nothing to see ( and no place to stop) until Indy.  
Drive and park, that's what we will be doing.  My girlfriend ships me her costumes so I am quite the sight at check-in with three boxes of costumes, two suitcases and long travel bags....those poor bus boys  ;)
Beth

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2004, 07:07 PM »
Yeah about ten hours away from here too.However,we go through exciting landscapes for about 85% of the trip.The breakdown goes as follows:

p From Spartanburg to Asheville is pretty pleasing to the eye since you're going through the spine of the Appalachins,and then into the hilly east Tennesse plauteu.But,my favorite part without a doubt is the journey into Kentuky(the south eastern corner mainly),it's so pretty with all the greenery and quaint little shacks everywhere.Then,it gets kinda dull from London on north.That's just the plains and is boring as hell.
I mean it's flatter than Calista Flockhart(she is the one from Alley McBeal,right?) out in northern Kentuky and southern Indiana.Maybe a few grain silos,but that's it!What a snooze!
But all in all it's a enjoyable expirence.