Author Topic: Mace Windu is a total piece of **** figure  (Read 6175 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Mace Windu is a total piece of **** figure
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2005, 01:41 AM »
I agree, they can't manage to get decent Mace, Obi-Wan, or Anakin figures out. Either they have goofy expressions or action features. There really seems to be no Agen Kolar treatment for these guys, from either AOTC or ROTS.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 02:37 AM »
I was just thinking about it now, and they can't get Yoda right either. There's always some sort of flaw with Yoda, as well as Mace.

Does Hasbro have something against the two most powerful Jedi or something?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2005, 03:28 AM »
Bought Mace opening day...  The concept is great, the execution didn't live up though.  Mine's limbs are wobbly over time, which sucks.  His shoulders do protrude awkwardly.  His skin tone is goofy the more I look at it, as is his expression.  I just don't see Sam Jackson there.

His legs have no real articulation (softgoods and bendable knees, regardless of a feature, would've helped), and ultimately I'd agree with the notion he's short as well...  with no neck seemingly.

I would, and this is sad but true, still rank him superior to every Jedi from Saga's initial release.  He's better than Shaak Ti, Luminara, Plo, Sae See, Kit Fisto, etc...  All from Saga.  He's an abysmal failure compared to any Collection 2 Jedi from ROTS though.

I'd love to see a Col. 2 Mace done utilizing mostly just parts from Kolar, or whatever.  Save a buck and reuse some parts Hasbro, that's fine, but just deliver a better ROTS Mace.  Hell deliver a single GOOD Mace.  That would be amazing in and of itself since he's yet to get a truly great figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2005, 09:37 AM »
I understand why there's no knee articulation on this Mace.  And it's because of the action feature.  When you have to squeeze a figure's legs together to get the arms to move, that's when you wind up with a problem.  Oh well.  Better luck next time, Hasbro.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2005, 10:07 AM »
I understand why there's no knee articulation on this Mace.  And it's because of the action feature. 

That, plus the leg is only half as long as it should have been.  This thing is a stunted little monkey.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2005, 10:13 AM »
I understand why there's no knee articulation on this Mace.  And it's because of the action feature. 

That, plus the leg is only half as long as it should have been.  This thing is a stunted little monkey.

Even though the comment is borderline racist, try standing this figure next to some of it's ROTS linemates.  Standing him next to Anakin, he was just about the same height.  Is he out of proportion?  Possibly.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2005, 10:30 AM »
I don't think our good friend Dressel was being racist.  I think he's referring to the how short the figure is, and the almost ape-like stance Hasbro put him in.  Add to it the fact that face almost looks like he's making a monkey expression.

Guys, just turn an Agen Kolar into Mace Windu.  It's simple and effective. 

:P

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2005, 12:08 PM »

Even though the comment is borderline racist

Ha ha!  That never even entered my mind when I wrote it.  The long arms, short legs prompted my comments.  Looks like you're the only weirdo to come up with that one!
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

SilverZ

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2005, 04:03 PM »
I understand why there's no knee articulation on this Mace.  And it's because of the action feature.  When you have to squeeze a figure's legs together to get the arms to move, that's when you wind up with a problem.

I'd accept that reasoning -- except that the #6 clone uses the same type of action feature mechanism, and has perfectly working knee articulation. Mace even has a tunic to hide the wide hips the Clone suffers from to accomodate the feature. It is just a **** figure without an excuse in the world for its lameness.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2005, 10:57 PM »
I was just reading through and thought the same thought Jared.  The knee articulation wouldn't hinder the feature at all, especially since pressing the hips (or the point of the articulation) would negate any possibility of knees having a negative effect on the action feature working.

The knees would've only helped him slightly had they been articulated though.  His "short comings" beyond his height are a bit too much to be counter-balanced by the thought of his knees being more poseable.  It would've been nice though.  I'm not so sure my opinion of the headsculpt is as bad as at first, I dunno.  SOmething about it is off but something seems right too...  The skin tone's definitely different though, and I just noticed his head is kinda oblong and weirdly shaped because of the ball/socket joint. 

Oh well, I'm jonesin' for a new Mace figure somewhere down the road that is simply a nicely articulated figure, maybe with Agen Kolar robes, but at this point I'd take a cloth robe if it was made like Ki Adi Mundi's robe is.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2005, 12:30 AM »
I was looking at the making of book again today (which is just the coolest) and during Mace's critical scene he is still robed, which makes me believe he needs a nice cloth robe more than ever. They built an action feature into the figure that is scene-specific, yet the figure itself isn't representative of that scene. Bleh.

It is just a complete shame that the core Jedi all have been chumped up in Collection 2. There's not one solid Anakin, Obi, Mace, or Yoda to be found. I'll be curious to see if the upcoming Pilot Obi and Evo Anakin address that issue, but I hope we don't wait too long to get around to a C2 Mace and Yoda.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2005, 01:19 PM »
I agree with what many of you have said.  While going through and "setting up" the figures on the shelf this weekend, the ROTS Mace really disappoints....yet again for this character.  While I do think it is better than pretty much all other versions (aside from the Preview and possibly Jedi Council one), it still is pretty craptastic.  I noticed the height issue as well, and the shoulders just bother me for some reason.  It is especially frustrating looking at how amazing virtually every other Jedi was done in this line, aside from the major ones...Obi, Anakin, and Mace Windu.  Like it was mentioned, hopefully the Pilot Obi and Evolutions Anakin fill the void for these characters, and maybe Hasbro will finally make that ultimate Mace we've been waiting for as well.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2005, 01:58 PM »
Any way to pop off his head and put it on a taller, earlier figure?  The head/face sculpt is fairly neutral and inoffensive, relative to some earlier incarnations. 

I still laugh at the action feature on this.  I'll admit to not having done height comparisons either, but I'll take everyone's word on it.  Maybe he's shrinking with age?  Maybe Mace is the bad apple and the dark side is diminishing his stature, similar to Palpatine ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2005, 02:31 PM »
Looks good Chewie.  My thoughts are that we should not have to customize one of the most popular characters in the prequels. ??? 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2005, 03:00 PM »
Thanks Rebeltrader.

I agree, customizing shouldn't be necessary... but is sure is fun.   :)

:P