Author Topic: PayPal  (Read 6082 times)

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
PayPal
« on: April 10, 2005, 09:47 AM »
There’s a chap from Asia who’s put some toys for sale at another site I frequent. He’s got a couple of nice little items I want to purchase… my hesitation lies in that he’s a fairly new member, and not having dealt with him before I’m paranoid about sending him paypal. My question is: should I just use paypal credit, or should I use my credit card through paypal? Which is the better way to go in case the goods don’t materialize and I’m left wanting a refund? I hope one of you fine gents can guide me on the wise choice, thanks!
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: A question about Paypal & Visa
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 12:06 PM »
Paypal is pretty safe to use, and from what I've heard, very good at getting refunds if you end up dealing with a bad seller.

So whichever you decide to use, I'm sure you're covered.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 02:41 AM »
I may be a little late for this answer, but my thinking would be to go with a credit card through PayPal.  That way, if things go sour and PayPal gives you any grief, you can go directly to your credit card company and cancel the authorization.

Good luck!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 02:49 AM »
Who's the member, Bob?  Some of us may actually know him here and could give you some further insight on the guy.  A lot of us buy stuff out of Asia...

But yeah, I'll reiterate what Matt and Jesse said, just use your credit card through Paypal.  That way you're covered twice.  If Paypal won't refund it, your credit card company probably will.  Only problem with Asian stuff is that occasionally it can take a while to make it's way over here, and you only have 30 days to file a Paypal complaint.

I've gotten a nice Paypal refund before, but I know others who haven't been quite as fortunate.  I guess it can go either way.  So using the CC is a good back up plan.  Good luck!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 01:14 PM »
You only have 30 days from the time of purchase to request a paypal refund.  Fairly important that can be. ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 11:43 AM »

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately the deal didn’t materialize, it was for a 70’s chogokin, the initial pictures made it look as if it was in tip-top condition, after requesting closer shots and a better descriptions it turned out to be not such a hot deal… probably fair but I’d rather overspend on a nice item than settle for something I’d want to upgrade later. I’ll heed your advice and use the c.c. should this scenario repeat itself, thanks again.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 12:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about that Bob.  I've found that patience is definitely a virtue when it comes to collecting.

But I do want that Red Guard NOW!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Logray2776

• Youngling
    • View Profile
PayPal
« Reply #7 on: March 5, 2006, 09:15 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have a question for anyone who might know. I just signed up with paypal, to purchase an item off of ebay, I was wondering since i used my bank account for the transaction i shouldnt get screwed should i? This is my first time using this and would like some feedback on this subject.

Much appreciated,

Claude

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: PayPal
« Reply #8 on: March 6, 2006, 02:20 PM »
IMO, there's no such thing as 100% guaranteed protection.

I'm sure their security is tight, but I 've heard stories of people having their account info stolen - in fact, I believe a member of the boards had that happen...

Just remember to log out after you've completed a transaction and change your password periodically - as well, be wary of emails you get from paypal asking you for your user name and password.  It's not very often ebay and paypal will send you an email unless it's an invoice or receipt.

Fake ones have been sent to me, and they are well done - difficult to tell if they are real or not.

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 6, 2006, 06:50 PM »
Fake ones have been sent to me, and they are well done - difficult to tell if they are real or not.

Just remember to never, under ANY circumstances, enter your password or any other info into an e-mail you receive. In fact, never click a link in an e-mail whether it actually came from PayPal or not. Just open a new browser and type https://www.paypal.com and go from there.

Offline Logray2776

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 6, 2006, 11:20 PM »
Thanks for the info, and yes i have already changed a few things like you suggested.

Once again, thanks for the info guys, it is much appreciated.

Claude

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 7, 2006, 03:50 PM »

Just remember to never, under ANY circumstances, enter your password or any other info into an e-mail you receive. In fact, never click a link in an e-mail whether it actually came from PayPal or not. Just open a new browser and type https://www.paypal.com and go from there.

If Paypal or Ebay emails you, they will always use your username in the salutation (Dear Llamalover as opposed to Dear Paypal User:)

You can also check by running your mouse over the link, it will usually provide the actual URL that it links to.  If it doesnt say Paypal as the server, it aint the real deal.   

But Ook's advice is the most solid.  Just don't link from ANY email about your paypal or ebay account.  If there's a message sent, go to a new browser and log in from the direct address on a secure screen.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
PayPal Question
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 03:14 AM »
Does anyone know if I send funds from my CDN PayPal account to a US PayPal account via a straight transfer (ie. NOT a credit or debit card), will the receiver be charged a conversion fee?  I've tried searching through PayPal's "help" section but can't quite find what I'm looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: PayPal Question
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 08:54 AM »
I can't say for certain, but what do you think the chances are they'd let you do that for free?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 10:51 AM »
Approximately, 3721 to 1.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours