Approximately, 3721 to 1.
Never tell me the odds!  >:(
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 11:14 AM by Angry Ewok »

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: PayPal Question
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 11:58 AM »
Does anyone know if I send funds from my CDN PayPal account to a US PayPal account via a straight transfer (ie. NOT a credit or debit card), will the receiver be charged a conversion fee?  I've tried searching through PayPal's "help" section but can't quite find what I'm looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jesse, PayPal charges 3.9% + U.S.$0.30 for all international transfers, including from Canada to the United States. To double check, I reviewed my PayPal transactions and the last one I had from Canada for a total of U.S.$50, subtracted $2.25 in fees, which is equal to 3.9% + U.S.$0.30. This wasn't a credit card transfer, either.

I hope that's what you're asking about.  :)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 12:50 PM »
Does anyone know if I send funds from my CDN PayPal account to a US PayPal account via a straight transfer (ie. NOT a credit or debit card), will the receiver be charged a conversion fee?  I've tried searching through PayPal's "help" section but can't quite find what I'm looking for.

What do you mean conversion fee?  I've sent funds to other countries and have not been charged to change from one currency to another.  They do however still take their standard cut from the recipient of the money.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: PayPal
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 01:10 PM »
Transaction Fees for Cross-Border Payments - United States Fees for receiving payments from buyers outside the United States

There is the option to pay the fees so the recipient gets the full amount. "Gift" payments are found on the usual send payment page, you choose the "Personal" option rather than the "Purchase" option. Tho I have never tried it.  :-\

I have my account set for US & Canadian funds, the primary being US. If I have CDN funds I can transfer those funds to the US account & they just show me the conversion rate like a bank. Nothing more.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 01:13 PM »

Yes they will. 

It is not widely advertised and about a year ago it didn't happen.  As I have a shipping address in the states I usually don't get asked about being Canadian but earlier this year I did receive a question from a seller.  He was charged a conversion fee on a straight transfer from Canadian to US funds.  The seller I dealt with was very reasonable about it, he just wanted to be sure that paypal wasn't scamming him for money they weren't entitled to (that's a different argument altogether).  So yes is the answer. 

What Jesse is refering to is an additional fee levied upon the seller in addition to those standard paypal charges and international transfers.  Paypal converts the funds into the native currency of the recipient seemingly in the US directly.  My account has both US and Canadian funds in it.  If Jesse converts the funds in his account to US dollars, the recipient obviously won't receive the conversion charge though they'll still get hit with standard fees and the international transfer fee. 

Whee.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 05:55 PM »
Thanks for the great info guys.  My account is set up for CDN and US funds as well, so I'll be sure to convert it to US$ to avoid the seller being dinged for conversion fees.  But it looks like there's no way to avoid the (US) seller from being charged an international transaction fee (since I'm Canadian), even if it's a direct (non-credit) transfer.  That sucks.

I used to have a better grasp of all the fees but it seems to keep getting more complicated.  :-\

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 11:05 PM »
Paypal is **** anymore.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 11:05 PM by Chris »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 11:47 PM »
I used to have a better grasp of all the fees but it seems to keep getting more complicated.  :-\

Not complicated, just more ($).
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline AndyG

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 02:53 AM »
My account is set up for CDN and US funds as well, so I'll be sure to convert it to US$ to avoid the seller being dinged for conversion fees.  But it looks like there's no way to avoid the (US) seller from being charged an international transaction fee (since I'm Canadian), even if it's a direct (non-credit) transfer. 

My account is set up for GBP £. I've sent 3 payments for $100+ as a gift in the last 6 months. None of the sellers incurred any fees as that was a condition of the sale.

As long as you send the money in the correct currency and as a gift the receiver of the money shouldn't incur any fees (and hasn't in the international transactions I've been involved with). You pick up all the fees with the crappy currency exchange rate and by using gift you get the option to pay the fees before sending the money. If you use gift then you pay less fees if you use balance or bank transfer, using a credit card results in substantially more fees.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 03:42 AM »
Good to know, thanks Andy.  :)