Author Topic: Are you where you want to be in life???  (Read 4511 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Are you where you want to be in life???
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2005, 10:42 AM »
Career wise, yes.  Financially, no. :P

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2005, 07:19 PM »
I'm on the path. Once I legitimize my small business as I want to, I think I will have finally laid the foundation.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 12:23 AM »
Lady Jaye,

Interesting topic, thanks for being open and posting.

In response, I am very content in my lot in life.  Nine months ago I purchased a home in AZ from CA.  My wife and I decided over lunch that it would be better to sacrifice my career as an operations supervisor at a Fortune 500 Company so that my boys could have a home.

The owners decided to sell etc. at the last three townhomes that we rented so that meant our boys having to go to new schools over and over again.  The cost of living in L.A., CA is so high we did not have too many options.

God really blessed our family.  The week after I returned to work in CA from moving my family to AZ I found out that my company was relocating to AZ of all places!  A few months later I was promoted to Operations Manager and received about a 35% increase in six months.

My advice would be to keep your eye on the prize.  Set goals and work towards them.  Nothing good comes easy. 

I do not have a college degree and just enrolled at my local community college to finish the 3 classes that I need for an AA.  Primarily, because that was a goal that I set for myself as I am set in my career path.

Best Regards,

DBK

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 12:26 AM »
Darth Broem,

I am not sure the line of work that your wife is interviewing for but I am actively hiring for positions in Chandler, AZ.  Feel free to drop me a PM with you or your wifes job information.

If you make it to Phoenix I would like to get together for coffee.

Let me know,

DBK

My wife finished up an interview for  a job in Arizona.  We are getting closer to moving out there now.

Cool!  Whereabouts Brian?  And how soon?  If it's anywhere near Phoenix or Scottsdale, I'll be able to hook up with you out there from time to time, when I cruise out to Scottsdale to visit my parents.  But if you say Tuscon, it's doubtful.  LMK!

We are trying for the Phoenix area.  Not Tuscon.  Yeah, that would be great!  We don't know anything yet.  She just had the interview yesterday.  They are supposed to contact her next week.  She said she will take if it is offered to her.  So, if that happens we have to find out when they want her out there and all that good stuff. 

It could all be going down really soon.  If she gets it then I will have to find something there or hopefully get a transfer. 

We will have to rent a place first.  I hope she gets this job so we can get things rolling.  This is REALLY going to put a halt to my collecting ways for awhile.  Good thing this happened after 4/2 :)

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2005, 02:53 AM »
I'm not there yet, but on the way. I'm about 2 years out from getting my PhD, then I'll be looking to get a little further along on the track I want to be on.

It's a bit tough to be in school for so long (4.5 years undergraduate,  then almost 5 years so far for Masters + PhD work), but I can finally start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 02:54 AM by Matt Carroll »
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2005, 11:25 AM »
Let's see. I'm 26, single, and still working. Nope, not where I want to be. I'd prefer to be retired by now.
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 11:50 AM »
I love what I do - hate the drive and wish I made more $$.

Love my wife and kid - wish I had a bigger house.

Am I at where I thought I'd be in life?  I guess.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2005, 03:13 PM »
Finacially? - no

Educationaly? -no

I'm still single and don't have my own place or a halfway decent car, so no I'm not at where I was hoping to be by now. But I'm only 19 and in my first year of college so I guess I have plenty of time to change that. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2005, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. Kahuna, glad you liked the topic. I think it's good to look back and see if you are acheiving what you set out to do a couple of years ago and what not.

I also appreciate the words of encouragement. I guess sometimes things do end up working out. This past weekend I volunteered for the NYS Assembly/Senate Puerto Rican and Hispanic Caucus, where I got to meet and greet many of our State Legislatures, but the highlight was meeting and talking to Senator Hilary Rodhamn Clinton, and taking a picture together. Even if I am a Republican, it was nice!! It might be little steps, but I'm getting there hopefully!!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2005, 01:10 PM »
Lady Jaye-

One of the most important and most profound things ever told to me by a friend happened  after my wedding. She looked me in the eyes and said

"life is a series of little wins, today is a little one, and you will continue to have them your entire life. Always remember the days you won."

I feel like I'm a winner everyday.  I've been married 14 years to my much wiser and beautiful wife.  I am fortunate to have a beautiful home and in good health. I have friends and a family who care about me. Everything else is just material and temporary  and can always be replaced. I'm glad my life so far has left me in the  +1 column
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 01:13 PM by Infamy Of Crete »

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2005, 02:27 PM »
I'd like to have a thicker penis :'(
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2005, 02:56 PM »
LOL!  Well, yeah. 

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2005, 04:04 PM »
Lady Jaye,

Thats great news and your welcome.  FYI, my wife is Puerto Rican and Black from St. Croix in the USVI.  Thanks for the update.

This topic made me register at Classmates.com to try to get in contact with my old friends.  I heard back from one today and heard about two others.

I grew up in L.A., CA and feared that some friends did not make the right choices.  I am in the process of getting the writing address for two that I found out are in prison.  I spoke with one friend today after 12 years!  She is excelling in her career and we had a great talk.  I plan on meeting her for coffee the next time I fly into L.A. on business.  It was great talking to her and seeing she made out well. 

Infamy Of Crete,

Thanks for sharing, that is a fantastic viewpoint that you shared, I will use it. 
I share a lot of the same sentiments.

DBK

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2005, 07:23 PM »
Hey that's great to hear Kahuna. I don't think I'll be contacting anyone, at least not yet. When I am successful, then I'll give all a look up. It's cool to find what people are up to.
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2005, 11:36 PM »
Lady Jaye, I wouldn't want to tell you how to live your life, but I don't think you should feel embarrassed about your life to the point of not wanting to contact old friends from High School.  You're pursuing your dreams and doing great at it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.