Author Topic: Battlefront II!!!!  (Read 36084 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Battlefront II!!!!
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2005, 06:18 PM »
I don't know about that Ryan, but I'll get it and you can come over and watch me play it.   :-*

BTW Diddly, I think I speak for everyone on the boards when I thank you for sharing the info you learned while Beta Testing.  I know we all were more than a little jealous too.   ;D

Seriously, thanks again for whetting our appetites!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2005, 01:48 AM »
For certain I echo that Diddly, thanks for giving us some inside looks around the boards.  Much appreciated.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2005, 02:44 PM »
I'm hearing bad things about BF2...

Rebel soldiers flying LAAT Gunships? Damn, there go my dreams of a more movie-accurate BF.
Rebel soldiers driving Jedi tanks? See Above.
No unit-specific commander skins? Damn, there go my dreams of playing as Cody, and commanding the 212th.
No theatre-specific unit skins? Damn, there go my dreams of the 212th altogether.
Bacara as heavy trooper? Damn, there go my dreams of an accurate military structure.
501st Troops at the Battle of Kashyyyk? Lazy.
Flight Control still sucks? Disapointing.
Luke having a green saber at Hoth? Travesty.

Damn I hope some things get worked out before release.

Offline Mr.el lucco

• Banned
  • Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2005, 06:43 PM »
I cant wait for this game it looks HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2005, 12:03 PM »
Is the ROTS DVD going to have a demo?

Good news Ryan, there will be two playable levels of BF2 on the dvd.

But you can still come over to my place and watch me play mine.   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 1, 2005, 08:10 PM »
So... nobody picked it up today? Or are you guys too busy playing it to give your thoughts? :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 1, 2005, 08:22 PM »
I purchased it today and I'm about to load it onto my laptop.  I wanted to watch the DVD first.  :D

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Best Buy had a dvd version of the game, so it will now be a whole lot easier to install....one disc instead of 6.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #67 on: November 2, 2005, 12:05 AM »
I didn't buy...  This is the type of game that wears thin to me, so I'm not buying till it's cheaper by a substantial bit.  I played the demo's on the DVD though and it was meh...  I don't like that Clones aren't mission specific (IE: The Utapau level has a variety of Clones and not Utapau colored Clones as in the films).  It's a minor gripe but visually it detracts for me and my gaming experience.

The gameplay seemed to have only minor tweaks/changes, so the gameplay's still good enough...  I didn't care for the space level though, as the controls were funky still and felt very unchanged in quality.

The demo's are also incredibly ****** short.  The Utapau one is timed, and the space one's pathetically short.  I guess they must have felt a full level like Endor's for BF1 was just too much to "give away" to the fans.  It didn't endear me to buying the game, but I do somehow think that single-player for BF2 may be somewhat better.  From what I've heard the game has more qualities of a SP game mixed in with the obvous MP qualities...  That's promising but not enough for me to bite on it right now.  Down the road I'll gladly own it though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 2, 2005, 10:56 AM »
I'm holding out too.

I spent $50 for the first one only to see it become a "Greatest Hit" 6-8 months later ($19.99).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 2, 2005, 12:25 PM »
I picked it up, but haven't loaded it yet.  I was expecting a price of $49.99 for the sale with a regular price of $59.99, the norm in Canada for new PC video games.  Much to my surprise is was only $39.99 yesterday, so $20 off the regular retail was enough to push me to buy it. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 2, 2005, 04:04 PM »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 2, 2005, 05:03 PM »
Cool video....thanks for sharing.

I played a bunch of instant action games last night....just to get a feel for the levels before I actually play online.  I really like the improvements they've made on the game.  Earning points to play some of the more powerful characters and the Hero characters are great to play...and although they are powerful, they are far from undefeatable. 

I also like that there are more types of games to play....more "traditional" multiplayer games like Capture the flag and such.  Although I was happy to just have the large scale battles in various Star Wars locations....it will be also kind of fun to play some CTF sometimes.

I think the space battles are where this game needs some improving.  Not that they are all that bad...but I've been struggling in them.  Granted, I haven't been playing them much, it's just my first impressions of the game.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #72 on: November 2, 2005, 05:44 PM »
I bought it for PS2... It's basically an 'Update' to Battlefront, but instead of adding better things and leaving the good stuff from the first version alone, they've made some of it worse.

First the big negatives...

+ AI wasn't touched at all, which is so disapointing, because in Battlefront, the AI was incredibly stupid... but it's seemingly worse, now, because :

+ No more squad commands... Instead, you just tap "Up" and it will randomly hand out an order... Instead of 'Up' for 'Follow me', 'Down' for 'Hold this Position', etc. - now you've only got 'Up' for everything - which is so buggy, that so far I've only been able to order 'Follow me' and 'Disperse'... So, while you're frantically tapping 'Up' to get the retarded AI to do anything but stand silently in the corner (yes, they still do this), you end up telling them to Follow and Disperse at the same time.

No more squad control = Now you have to be Rambo.

+ Crappy HUD... I'm not a fan of the new HUD at all, but I suppose its because I haven't gotten used to it... One thing - the radar is at the top corner now, and it's pretty hard to see where 'North' is... it looks weird, and sometimes its hard to see. I'm also not too sure where to look to see how I'm doing with ammo... It doesn't indicate what kind of bonuses you've just picked up (Health, Ammo, etc), it just beeps - so when I back up over a bonus, and hear a beep, I end up freaking out thinking there's an enemy around.

+ Map and radar is no longer very helpful. The map no longer tells you if there are any vehicles awaiting at a spawn point. Also, enemy points tend to randomly pop up all around you...

+ No more vehicle supremecy... Remember in Battlefront, where you could turn the tide of a battle with a vehicle? Those days are over. The vehicles have been seriously neutered - not just vunerable to Anti-Craft weapons (which is fine), but also to grenades... A grenade doesn't even have to be stuck on your craft to drop you to half-health. I was under the impression that when struck at a vital spot, you could take on more damage - I didn't expect a Republic Tank to get blown up after 2 or 3 grenades. Getting in a vehicle is usually suicidal, now.

+ Inaccurate skins... I already knew this was the case before buying, but for those of you who didn't know, the developing team was too lazy to do skins for each Campaign...

+ Flying with a co-pilot still serves as useless. If you swap positions from the pilot to the gunner/bomber, the pilot will simply wreck your bomber/landing craft into something. Always. I actually sat in a Landing Craft to see if the AI would attempt to board the enemy ship, because that was a big hyped up thing about BF2 - landing on the enemy's ship... No, it didn't try to land, instead... it straffed the ship until we were shot down by enemy fighters... getting an entire load of Marines killed.

+ Boarding enemy ships? What happened to that? There was all this hype about being able to board the enemy and take control, in Galactic Conquest... but once you actually board the (only) enemy ship, you realize that it's the exact same layout as your ship... closed-in, with only a few rooms to explore (the little hangar leads into a 'Control' type room, where the ship's batteries are controlled, which leads to a) Shield Generator, b) Life Support, c) Engine room).... You cannot capture the ship, you can only repair your boarding craft so that it can be used as a remote spawn (which your stupid AI neither protects, or takes advantage of).

+ Space sucks... It's redundant as hell, and not very fun. Overhyped is an overstatement.

+ Piloting is still crappy, by the way. And since it's crappy, you'll notice :

+ Collision detection is still crappy. Oh, and :

+ Textures still "wave" like an ocean... Just do a fly-by on the (only) Calimar capitol ship.

+ When you're piloting a bomber, you might as well leave the seat open for yourself to fly manual and bomb at the same time... Define useless? Your bomber/gunner will not fire at your highlighted target... in most cases he'll just occupy the seat and not fire at all.

+ Rebels have Republic Gunships. Dumb.

+ No more Cloud City.

+ No more Rhen Var.

+ Terrible Storyline - according to the game, the 501st won ever single major conflict in Star Wars. Even in the Original Trilogy. Just terribly uncreative.

+ Terrible Storyline Mode gameplay - Knowing that you cannot rely on your team for anything due to the ****** AI, plus knowing that you cannot command them, plus knowing that no matter how much of a defense you put up - you'll probably be over-run, because the enemy reinforcements appear to be infinite, equals you'll probably beat the Storyline, and then never touch it again. I stopped playing the storyline altogether, after finally being able to beat the Jedi at Coruscant (after about 6 start-overs) and later the resistance at Naboo (probably another 6 start-overs).

+ Hero Selection - In the middle of a gunfight, at the bottom of the screen (where you aren't looking), it'll ask you if you want to play as the hero (Vader, Boba Fett, etc)... If 'Yes', press 'Right', if 'No', press 'Left'... Half of the time I don't even realize it's down there, and the other half, I accidentaly hit the Left or Right doing something while in combat... Crummy design. It'll freeze your game to tell you what the next objective is, but not to ask if you want to play as a Hero? Bah.

MORE TO COME

Some pro's...

+ New Maps - Most of the new maps are pretty awesome. The mappers obviously took alot of time and care for most of these... It's too bad the rest of the developing team didn't care as much for the game. Dagobah is particularly awesome.

+ Untouched Old Maps - I actually liked having some of the exact same maps, with hardly any touching up. Look at it this way: do you really want anything to be touched up, after seeing how the other cool things got "touched up" and made crappy? Exactly.

+ Same Jet Pack Trooper - Thank god they didn't mess with this, too much.

+ Improved Dark Trooper - The Jet Pack is much easier to manage now, as it doesn't blow you to hell and waste all of its energy, anymore - you can tap it off after the initial burst, to make a shorter flight. Also, he's got a 'Lightning Gun' now, instead of the shotgun (which makes for a great Jedi killer, btw, guys)...

+ Good to have a Hero class - it's nice to be able to play as Chewbacca, Leia, Luke, Obi-Wan, Aayla, Mundi, Anakin, etc, etc... It offers a bit of diversity.

+ Boba Fett - I wasn't expecting much out of Boba, because all of the other Heros didn't live too long with me, for the most part, but damn is he awesome! He's got a blaster rifle, a flame gun, the same jet pack as a Jet Pack Trooper, and missiles. It all spells for a long game-play... cause he'll be absolutely slaying infantry.

+ No more Pilots on battlegrounds (kinda) - It's good to see Death Star gunners replace TIE Pilots as engineers and whatnot...

+ Stats - You now have much more detailed stats that you can actually keep on your memory card... if I remember right, it records Kills, Deaths, Captures, among other things, and it gives you a kill ratio, which is especially neat to see (I think I'm ranging about 6 kills per death,  :-[ )...

+ Awards - Along with Stats, you get awards during combat, which are kept on record. For example, if you get 6 head shots with the sniper rifle in one life, it'll award you something like the 'Sniper Award'... which basically just goes on record saying that you did this incredible feat X amount of times... along with that, it'll rank your class in that particular field. As a sniper, slicer, engineer, etc, I'm ranked 'Green', but for my Endurance, I'm ranked 'Elite', and a Veteran class in 'Hero' awards (killing 30-something in one life)... I haven't really looked into this too much, but it might be fun to compare stats in a few weeks or so (if anyone actually buys the damn thing after seeing all the bad reviews).

+ Galactic Conquest - plays out much better, now. In Battlefront, all you could do with Galactic Conquest was select one of only 5 or 6 planets, attack it twice, and it's locked... Now you have to move your unit from point to point across the webbed galaxy (with quite a few maps, probably 15 or so?), while the enemy moves its unit... Victories give you credits, credits buy you more units (to cover the web faster), bonuses, and opens up all of the trooper classes (you begin with just a Stormtrooper).

MORE TO COME....

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 2, 2005, 06:50 PM »
I didn't get this on 11/1 but will probably get it when I get my XBox 360. (Thank you Aunt Beth, for the convenient $250 Best Buy gift card  ;D )

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 7, 2005, 03:09 PM »
I have it for Xbox, and it is awesome, but I agree with alot of the points mentioned above except for the space battles. The objectives are boring, but I never pay              attention to them. I just destroy the frigates. I love the space battles, and the all-Hero multi mode.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...