Author Topic: Tonnika Sisters coming?  (Read 42255 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Tonnika Sisters coming?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 04:44 PM »
See how thorough we are here?  We asked the same questions every where we went. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2005, 08:57 AM »
I thought at one point Hasbro told you guys that another cantina scene would depend on how well the previous sets sold at K-Mart?  They must have done ok then.  I realize that K-Mart may or may not be the retailer that picks them up but there must have been enough interest.  Or they just said the heck with and made it anyway.

Good news regardless.  I just hope someone picks it up. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2005, 11:35 AM »
I thought at one point Hasbro told you guys that another cantina scene would depend on how well the previous sets sold at K-Mart?  They must have done ok then.  I realize that K-Mart may or may not be the retailer that picks them up but there must have been enough interest.  Or they just said the heck with and made it anyway.

It was also pointed out during the Q&A that the initial Cantina wave should absolutely not be used as a gauge for sales, given the crappy rehash figures included in those sets.  I can't remember who stated that, the same obnoxious guy that commented on nearly everything and was subsequently ignored by Hasbro for the entire Q&A session until the last  :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2005, 12:19 PM »
The sisters can't come fast enough! I'll be happy to not see any more threads asking when they are comming, or why they haven't been made, or saying it would be a good idea to make these. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2005, 09:50 PM »
It was also pointed out during the Q&A that the initial Cantina wave should absolutely not be used as a gauge for sales, given the crappy rehash figures included in those sets.  I can't remember who stated that, the same obnoxious guy that commented on nearly everything and was subsequently ignored by Hasbro for the entire Q&A session until the last  :P

Uh...   :D

Yeah, never stick me in the first row in front of a Q & A in front of a bunch of Hasbro reps, or they'll never hear the end of it!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2005, 09:50 PM by JediMAC »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 03:51 PM »
Yeah, the cool thing about twins (outside of the obvious) is the fact that you only need one sister's permission to do the figure.

;)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 07:46 PM »

Uh...   :D

Yeah, never stick me in the first row in front of a Q & A in front of a bunch of Hasbro reps, or they'll never hear the end of it!  ;)

Really?  I hadn't noticed.  ;)
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2005, 11:44 AM »
The whole thing is odd really.  If there was never a problem with this lady Christine Hewitt.  Then why did they not move on this a long time ago?  I guess they wanted to make sure perhaps?  Anyway, I just hope we get a Tonnika sister(s) one way or another. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2005, 02:03 PM »
The nickname for the characters might've had something to do with it.  They were after all known as "Star whores".

Feedback

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2005, 06:16 PM »
I highly doubt that was a factor.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2005, 06:49 PM »
I highly doubt that was a factor.

Think about it.  This is a toy line.  Originally conceived for children to play with and enjoy.  The collector thing came much later, but it's still in the minds of the manufacturer a line for kids.  You would seriously put out figures of characters that are nicknamed by the filmmaker as "star whores", and all of their backstory is salacious in nature?  Right.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2005, 07:04 PM »
I don't know...  The "Star Whores" nickname's not widely known outside of the geekiest circles of collectors.  Not that Hasbro doesn't know the nickname, that's anyone's guess, but it's really one of those out there things, so I see JesseVader's point that it likely was a non-issue to the debate.

They made Ay Vida afterall, who is physically more racey than the twins were with their goofy hair-dos and all that...  Ay actually has what appears to be a little butt-floss going on even, yikes! 

I tend to agree then that a nickname given by people on-set to the two characters from a '77 film, and rarely spoken of outside the most anal of circles since then, ever really was a REASON they'd not make the figures.  Who knows though, anything is possible, it just strikes me as more unlikely as well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2005, 07:16 PM »
Lots of the characters had silly or vulgar nicknames during filming, or risque back stories in EU, but none of those things have found their way into the figure aisles, even if the characters eventually got turned into plastic.  Besides, nobody but the most ardent of fanboys knows that detail about the Sisters.  The kids certainly wouldn't, and I doubt even Hasbro has any knowledge of it.

Definitely not a reason.  Just a dumb licensing rights bunch of crap all these years...  Just glad to see it's almost over now.

With a Tonnika sister, Hem Dazon, and the rest of the bar coming by the end of next year, our Cantina dioramas are going to be filling out quite nicely.  8)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2005, 07:36 PM »
Perhaps the holdup has not been with Hasbro, but rather with Lucasfilm.  Has anyone ever considered that LFL might have held this up for the self-same reason?  Nothing gets made without LFL's golden stamp of approval.

There are so many steps in the process where things can get held up.  We may think we know all of the reasons, but will we ever REALLY know?  I could see both LFL and Hasbro having concerns about these characters, and for a number of reasons.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 07:38 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 09:02 PM »
I never hear anyone say this... maybe it's just taking a helluva lot of time to get them... we haven't gotten Cantina Dude or Hem Dazon, is there a legal issue there too?   ;)

:P