Author Topic: Tonnika Sisters coming?  (Read 42250 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Tonnika Sisters coming?
« Reply #120 on: February 4, 2012, 05:39 PM »
If the reason they aren't making them is a likeness rights issue than for sure this makes it more likely...if it is truly the whore issue than this doesn't mean anything

I gotta say the recreation of the Cantina they did was pretty wizard

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 4, 2012, 06:37 PM »
It looks like a physical set and no CG aliens. I wonder how many of those costumes they had to recreate.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #122 on: February 4, 2012, 10:37 PM »
I gotta say the recreation of the Cantina they did was pretty wizard

I just choked on my own vomit.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 5, 2012, 12:33 AM »
We were having this same arguement with the same people 7 years ago...

And Nick, Colman's stuff is at the front of this thread, he went ape**** on Hasbro for like 3 or 4 cons in a row and did this site and the community a lot of favors...I miss him :'( :'( :'(

Colman says hi.  I was reading along and figured I'd email him with the link to this thread.  He says hi, hopes everyone is well and he's still collecting like a madman, one loose, one carded.  Of everything.   

I assume some time in the last day or two he read the most recent comments. 

:)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 5, 2012, 01:11 PM »
Can you cite any one of them that was made coming off an appearance in an advertisement?

No, but I can cite aliens which *didn't* appear in movies or can't be found without the use of hi-def freeze frames.  It's not "From the hit commercial!" so much as it is "Here's a point of reference."   We've seen figures based on unused concept designs, (relatively) obscure 1980s comic books, and whatever the heck Jorg Sacul is. When you get right down to it, the bulk of what happens gets made because someone WANTS it to happen.  They don't need an excuse, or even a precedent, half the time.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: February 5, 2012, 02:45 PM »
Hooray for Matt, though I'm amazed he's still doing 1 of everything carded AND loose.  I mean, wow.  That's a die-hard.  I don't think I could handle even 1 of everything loose at this point anymore.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #126 on: February 5, 2012, 04:38 PM »
I miss Matt too but its not like he died or anything. What is he up to? Is he just working too hard in the valley? Too much Magic Mountain?
He needed a mental break from the toy board drama...he popped in 2 years ago and that was the last we saw of him.  I've talked to him a few times via the phone...maybe you SoCal guys can coax him out of retirement

I did randomly run into Matt and his wife a little while back in San Antonio, Texas. They were somehow on the same flight to Denver as my fiancee and me. He said hi to everyone. He seemed to be doing really well.
"This is the way."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 5, 2012, 06:03 PM »
So Matt is kind of the JD version of Big Foot?  ;) Someone needs to start a sighting thread.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #128 on: February 6, 2012, 01:55 AM »
Mattsquatch.

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #129 on: February 6, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Can you cite any one of them that was made coming off an appearance in an advertisement?

No, but I can cite aliens which *didn't* appear in movies or can't be found without the use of hi-def freeze frames.  It's not "From the hit commercial!" so much as it is "Here's a point of reference."   We've seen figures based on unused concept designs, (relatively) obscure 1980s comic books, and whatever the heck Jorg Sacul is. When you get right down to it, the bulk of what happens gets made because someone WANTS it to happen.  They don't need an excuse, or even a precedent, half the time.

Apples and bowling balls, Adam. Perhaps you should reread my original post. I'm not arguing we have over 1,800 from varied sources, I said it's doubtful the character(s) appearance here (and if you watched the commercial, you really have to know to look for them) will turn her/them into plastic. I'm all for it, I merely don't think it will happen if we're predicating it on a Superbowl ad.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 7, 2012, 08:44 AM »
Actually I got to thinking, though it might be a stretch, I wonder if Hasbro pushed Evazan back because they knew he was going to be in the commercial?  Since he was featured in a TV spot it gives him less of a "who the heck is that" when kids see him on the pegs.

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 7, 2012, 12:20 PM »

Apples and bowling balls, Adam. Perhaps you should reread my original post. I'm not arguing we have over 1,800 from varied sources, I said it's doubtful the character(s) appearance here (and if you watched the commercial, you really have to know to look for them) will turn her/them into plastic. I'm all for it, I merely don't think it will happen if we're predicating it on a Superbowl ad.

No, I read your post before I replied.  I think we're having different discussions-- you're saying "Yes, the fact that it's from the ad matters as a marketing point on the packaging" while I'm saying "No, it doesn't matter where the figure comes from."  Hasbro doesn't play up where the figures come from half the time-- Vintage is a great example, like the ARC Trooper Commander last year.  It has a "Clone Wars" logo on it, and a figure, and doesn't even use the name "Fordo" even though (wink wink) it's Fordo.

How is that spiritually different from putting a girl with a beehive hairdo in a green costume on a Star Wars cardback?   Who cares if it's from a commercial?  Just use the classic Star Wars logo, use a still taken from the set of the ad, and presto-- here's a character who is a Tonnika but isn't from the original 1977 movie.  To the consumer, it probably doesn't matter.  (To me, as a collector, I don't care-- if the costume and the make-up and hair is right, the face can be a little off.  Lord knows they usually are anyway.)

All I know is Hasbro can take characters from any corner of the Star Wars mythos-- theme park rides, movies, comics, concept art, and things they JUST MADE UP-- slap a Star Wars logo on it, and it'll sell X0,000 units.  This might be an "agree to disagree" situation, as (and maybe we do agree here) there's no reason to assume the *toy buyers* care about the ad one way or another, and as a marketing point to the toy buyer, it's totally not remotely the slightest bit important.  I'm not concerned about selling fans on the notion of a toy from a car commercial, I'm concerned about the possibility of saying "Here is a picture of a character in the Cantina who looks kind of like but isn't this other person" with a Star Wars logo on the box.

But will legal care?  Is this new interpretation "different enough" to be cleared?  Is the fact that we're even having this discussion enough to highlight that this is exactly why Hasbro and Lucasfilm will never make this character as a toy?  Heck if I know.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 7, 2012, 12:51 PM »
This definitely makes for an interesting discussion.  And over the history of the line we've seen both Kenner and Hasbro source characters from a myriad of different sorts of media.  The obvious ones?

-MOVIES
-TELEVISION SERIES (Droids, Ewoks, Clone Wars animated series)
-HOLIDAY SPECIAL (First appearance Boba Fett)
-VIDEO GAMES (SOTE, TFU, Battlefront & more)
-COMIC BOOKS

But there have also been sources from:
-DELETED MOVIE SCENES (Upcoming TVC wave)
-CONCEPT ART (McQuarrie Series)
-NOVELS (R4-K5 from Dark Lord, I-5YQ from DARTH MAUL - SHADOW HUNTER & Whistler among others)
-THEME PARK RIDES (Star Tours)

Based on all of those genres for source material, we have really run the gamut in terms of WHERE an individual figures origins have arisen.  A commercial would be new territory in terms of sourcing, but would it be all that much of a stretch considering the other avenues that have generated figures?  Considering the overall breadth of source material for figures I don't think source material matters so much.  So again, it comes down to the characters and whether or not Lucas Licensing will sign off on them.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #133 on: February 7, 2012, 01:01 PM »

How about these?  They were based on RotS M&M ads, right?  Maybe a stretch, but they were made based on appearances in ads and not movies/cartoons/etc  :P

Star Wars Chocolate M-Pire Collection
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 7, 2012, 01:23 PM »
I could totally see Hasbro making these two as an exclusive for VW. Buy a VW Bug, get the cantina commerical patrions for free! (plus $6.95 for shipping/handling)