Author Topic: Shadows and EU  (Read 8187 times)

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Shadows and EU
« on: November 20, 2002, 01:10 AM »
Power of the Force 2 had some brilliant releases that still have not been expanded upon. Delving into the worlds of Star Wars novels, comic books and video games, Kenner & Hasbro introduced some great characters into the realm of 3-D figures. With Shadows of the Empire and the Expanded Universe lines we were given a whole new list of countless new figure possibilities. Unfortunately, Hasbro hasn't taken the ball and run with it.

If they were to introduce a new Expanded Universe line today, what figures would you most want to see them release?

Due to my unfamiliarity with most of the EU stuff, I have little input here, but it would help me to know where to go when I begin my exploration into the Expanded Star Wars Universe.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re:Shadows and EU
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2002, 11:35 AM »
I'll be honset when I say hardly anything, I hate pretty much all EU I have read.  The exception being the original Zahn trilogy stuff of the early 90's which really recaptured my love of SW.  THat being said I would take an original never before done movie character over and EU figure 99 times out of 100.  The exception being Conept Art ala the upcoming McQuarrie Stormtrooper and EU based on existing OT designs ala the Star Tour astromechs

EU just isn't my cup o' tea but I'm sure I am in the minority a lot of people like it a lot more than I do

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2002, 03:37 PM »
I thought of a couple I would like to see...

1. A figure of a Bothan Spy. They deserve a figure especially because of the species class they will have for them  when SW Galaxies gets rolling. We know what they look like, and they are definitely cool enough to get a figure.

2. Wooacca (sic). I have never liked any of the art I've seen for his character, but we need more wookiees and a wookiee jedi would be a darn good addition!

3. A Krayt Dragon Beast Figure. The only thing we have to go on is a skeleton in ANH, unless I forgot that they added one in the newer release. These are so cool and beasts you do not want to mess with.

4. Any new bounty hunters would be great. Would also like to see Jango Fett's posse from the Open Seasons comic.

that's it for now.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2002, 03:50 PM »
I must say, I really do not like Expanded Universe. It is not made or created by Lucas and is not a movie, I don't really consider it "official Star Wars", but some fan (or company) made ideas about Star Wars. No big deal to me, I still don't understand all of those Darth Mauls, my thing is, if they are not in the movie, don't make a action figure. Sure, I can like the look, but they just don't feel Star Wars to me.

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2002, 01:32 AM »
As far as I know, all these ideas are approved by Lucas himself. I would imagine that he would not let something be printed about his universe without giving it a thumbs up. George has the power to kill any idea and so, he probably has had some input in most of the EU stuff out there. I am only familiar with comic stuff and not as so with the novels, but I intend to look into them when the movies stop and I hope at some point, someone picks up the ball and takes some of these things into smaller format film media (HBO, network tele or even the big screen. I am not a 'true' fan of EU, but I am not against the idea, nor am I against the characters of these EU stories being made into figures.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2002, 03:58 PM »
Yeah, I see your point. My thing is though, Lucas did not come up with the ideas and they are not in a movie, he just approves them.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2002, 04:16 PM »
I also think not having a visual of what people in the EU look like detracts from the ideas of figures as well.

I would say I'm in the majority that don't  want a lot of EU...

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2002, 11:46 PM »
I just think that Mara Jade, Darktrooper, Leia Organa Solo, Spacetrooper and Grand Admiral Thrawn from EU are really nice figures. I also like Chewbacca as Snoova (I know it's a bit hokie, but it's Chewbacca). The 2-packs from SOTE are great! I just like the stuff and want more. I agree to disagree at this point.

Chris Belle

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2002, 07:05 PM »
Okay, now its my turn to weigh in on the subject of the EU.  I LOVE it!! ;D  In 3 years what are you all going to do when there are no more movies to make?  The EU has some amazing characters, Corran Horn, Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, etc.  The EU also gives you the chance to get the backstory on a lot of the major characters in the movies.  The EU is here to stay, I respect your opinions about it, and I'm sure that a lot of people don't consider it "canon", but it is all approved by Lucas himself.  Even GL has used the EU for characters and ideas, ie: Aayla Secura.  I'm out of time right now, but I'll be back.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2002, 07:06 PM by DarkJediCB »

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Jawa Junkpile Customs @theJawa.com
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2003, 08:20 PM »
It's funny to see how Hasbro's line tends to follow the trends in customizing.  As a particular character becomes a popular subject, it's not too long after that Hasbro releases their version.  Given that trend, I would think that the logical point for an EU figure line would be the NJO.  This series seems to be growing in popularity.  Look at all the NJO customs appearing on the web.   These books and novels are gaining a must read rep similar to, but not as broad as, the Thrawn Trilogy cult.

Personally I think the series has been hit or miss.  Some stories such as Star by Star have been riveting.  Others like Dark Journey fall flat on their face.

Offline RJP

• Youngling
  • Hi! I'm Tammy from CA
    • View Profile
    • RJP'S PAGE
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2003, 01:29 PM »
I am a big fun of all the books and would LOVE to see more figures made. The next logical step would be to make more figures from NJO. I'd like to see the solo kids and friends and vong figures. ;D

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 4, 2003, 05:08 PM »
I really liked the Thrawn trilogy. I would even like to see that on the big screen someday doubt it will happen but it could be good. As for the rest I do like some and dislike others. The figs were OK. I will admit when I first saw them I wondered who in the hell is that. Since then I have been building my library up and now have cought on ;)
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline JasperFett

• Youngling
  • I am a mighty mandalorian
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows and EU
« Reply #12 on: August 5, 2004, 02:46 AM »
The Thrawn Trilogy would be cool, and yea, i wouldn't mind seeing Jango's gang.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2004, 05:11 PM »
I loved Shadows and the EU line. I really wish they would do more, and i mean alot more. I would love to see Tales of the Jedi and especially Crimson Empire. Anything would do really.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline dafoo

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 2, 2005, 11:43 PM »
you know lucas doesn't come up with much of anything beyond the storyline, even for the movies.  Someone else dreams up what things look like, the planets, the ships, the troopers.

Lucas just approves them, Expanded Universe has great possiblities, I have loved how they tried so hard to connect it all into one history. (granted you've got some early stuff that's screwy, but even that's had attempts to fix it up lol)

I hate how Hasbro is reluctant to make more EU toys.  Just cuz it isn't in a movie doesn't mean anything.  What movie was GI Joe in?  Kenner/Hasbro just dreamed up neat looking figures and a cartoon was made for them.

Ok here, they have the characters made and Designed for them already and they are really good looking.  All they have to do is make the figure! 
who Learned you To spoke!