Author Topic: New Archive Special Feature  (Read 3169 times)

Offline John J. Alvarez

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
New Archive Special Feature
« on: August 3, 2005, 01:46 PM »

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-speci/ppl/ppl.html

For those of you checking out this thread you'll probably enjoy my latest feature. I'm sure many of you have not heard of these yet but some of you may have seen a few over the past year either in collections or on eBay. We discovered the first one last November so the information on these is only 9 months old so hopefully in time more will be known.

Enjoy!
John

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: New Archive Special Feature
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2005, 09:04 PM »
Hey, those are pretty cool John. I think I have seen the odd ones but in some collection pic's and I think on eBay too. The Luke and Han with the helemt ring a bell.

Great job on keeping them archived.  8)   :)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #2 on: August 4, 2005, 03:03 AM »
Just got finished checking this out, as always a well written piece John. I find it funny that PPL tried to make what appears a new toy line out of parts from other toy lines. I wonder if the reason they did this was only because they had just the 3 SW heads and Vader/Stormtrooper parts available to them to make new molds and just so happened to have the FP astronaut body. Any idea where the lunar rover and/or the guns that come with them are originally from? The gun on top of the yellow rover looks vaguely like an M-16.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline John J. Alvarez

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 4, 2005, 10:12 AM »
Thanx for the support and kind words guys.

I find it funny that PPL tried to make what appears a new toy line out of parts from other toy lines. I wonder if the reason they did this was only because they had just the 3 SW heads and Vader/Stormtrooper parts available to them to make new molds and just so happened to have the FP astronaut body.

Not sure yet. I'm still digging. I do find it odd that Luke (Bespin), Han (original), and Bossk were used though since Top Toys, the distributor in Argentina, didn't even make those figures. Then again that could also be the appeal. Perhaps they made them since they weren't released. Vader and Stormtrooper were released by Top Toys so I can understand them. They might have been cheaper alternatives to the licensed Top Toys figures.

Any idea where the lunar rover and/or the guns that come with them are originally from? The gun on top of the yellow rover looks vaguely like an M-16.

Not sure about the M-16 but the Lunar Rover I just found out is also Adventure People. Somebody sent me a link after they read this. I'm looking for a better pic so I can update the article. :)

John

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #4 on: August 5, 2005, 12:16 AM »
Thanx for the support and kind words guys.

I find it funny that PPL tried to make what appears a new toy line out of parts from other toy lines. I wonder if the reason they did this was only because they had just the 3 SW heads and Vader/Stormtrooper parts available to them to make new molds and just so happened to have the FP astronaut body.

Not sure yet. I'm still digging. I do find it odd that Luke (Bespin), Han (original), and Bossk were used though since Top Toys, the distributor in Argentina, didn't even make those figures. Then again that could also be the appeal. Perhaps they made them since they weren't released. Vader and Stormtrooper were released by Top Toys so I can understand them. They might have been cheaper alternatives to the licensed Top Toys figures.

I hadn't thought of comparing what they used to what was available from Top Toys. It would be interesting if they had tried to fill the gap of figures not made by TT. Perhaps they realized then it was too much effort or they weren't capable of making molds for the torsos and limbs of Han, Luke, and Bossk.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 11:43 PM »
I have seen the odd ones on eBay now, cool beans as they say.  8)