Author Topic: battle droids = terrible  (Read 10292 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: battle droids = terrible
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 10:56 AM »
I'm going to be the voice of dissent (or the exception to the rule) here and say that my ROTS Battle Droid stands just fine on his base.  The plastic is crappy and his right leg is warped, but I'm able to put his left foot on the peg completely and kind of "bend" his right leg a little to the left and a small piece of the terrain holds is more or less in place (not securely, mind you).  He looks pretty cool standing like that, so I'm happy with it.

This is not to say that the quality of the figure overall is not pure crap though.  If a figure it more or less a skeleton, you'd think you'd want to use the highest quality plastic you could to make sure the figure wouldn't deteriorate over time.  Unfortunately, as usual, "If something's hard to do, it's not worth doing" seems to be Hasbro's mantra these days.

I still say the POTJ Security and Boomer Damage BDs are my favorites that have been made.  They have the film accuracy as far as the thin legs and arms, but also have a higher grade of plastic than the bendy crap that Hasbro's using on them these days.  I've actually had more problems with my TPM BDs bending in their lower legs than the POTJ versions.

And, for the record, RELEASE THE TROPHY EDITION OOM-9 ALREADY!  You don't have to do it as a Trophy Edition as it was originally conceived, but jeez, Hasbro, the TPM version sucked and now is pretty much your last chance to do it and hope that it will sell more than three figures nationwide.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 11:18 AM »
I'm in the middle with the Battle Droids. I don't like the legs, but everything else is okay IMO. Although I'm really only buying them because I need droids (only got two during TPM, none during Saga)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2005, 11:58 AM »
Seriously, why is it that all Battle Droids must bend? Total waist!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: May 2, 2005, 01:12 AM »
Diddly, I agree with you wholeheartedly actually.  I love the upper body sculpts on the BD figures, and I think they're good for neutral and action poses.  They are passable at the least, and pretty good in that regard overall.

The legs are a killer though.  If the figure can't stand, it's no good to me, and the BD sadly cannot stand at all.  This ROTS one can't, my red ones from AOTC can't, and I'd say the worst of all are the cream colored ones from AOTC.  I tried putting them in my E1 Gungan scene up on a high shelf (so I don't have to look at it TOO often :P ), and they nosedive off that shelf constantly...  to the point I've made them "deads" on the field rather than tried to have them marching along with the E1 droids.

Hasbro could be using a sturdier plastic in the legs, at least.  It's really to the point it's sort of insulting that, even with stands, a figure can't stand.  A couple padme's are the same way too, which sucks.  Naboo Celebration's one of those culprits for me.   >:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 2, 2005, 10:28 AM »
Jesse, have you tried using Real Stands for them?  They really do work wonders for this figure.

:P

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: May 2, 2005, 12:02 PM »
nah, I figure I shouldn't have to put extra $$$ into stands when I have dozens of the Saga stands, commtech chips, freebie stands, etc...  plus I'm not a fan of large round stands either.  I prefer more squarish ones that sorta fit together more on a shelf setting.

Either way though, Hasbro needs to go back to the E1 droid plastic at least for these droid's legs.  They're attrocious.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 2, 2005, 02:20 PM »
I understand.  I like the Real Stands though because of two pegs for the figures (they seem to be made for Battle Droids.  Plus they are clear unlike the pack in stuff that Hasbro has offered.  Not too expensive either, they seem to have them on sale at least once a month.

Another thing that works great is if you use sand in any dioramas - the sand pretty much supports their feet without using a stand.  You can get a nice bag of sand at TRU for just $3.99.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 2, 2005, 02:36 PM »
Either way though, Hasbro needs to go back to the E1 droid plastic at least for these droid's legs.  They're attrocious.

Agreed. I can understand using a more flexible, lower-grade plastic for some parts of the figure - but the legs?!?!? If you're making legs for a figure that are a pin-width thick you make them out of a sturdy material that won't bend. I ended up putting my ROTS "Droid Army" away because all of the BDs and SBDs were falling over. Sad.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: May 2, 2005, 04:34 PM »
I think all figures should be able to stand on their own without using a stand. I like the battle droids a lot, sculpt wise. It is a good pose and they look good in dioramas. I've got around 12 SAGA battledroids and I can get most  of them to stand without stands, but as soon as it gets warm at least half need stands. The legs melt at ******* room temperature. It is annoying as hell, they should use the same plastic that is used for torsos or the EP1 BD, that is really the only downfall of the newwer BDs. And the head will fall of from time to time, some are worse than others. That joint should have been updated to work more like the newwer ball joint heads. Really the only thing that needs fixing is the dang plastic, then this figure would be excellent.
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 2, 2005, 05:03 PM »
I think they should be able to stand without stands too.  But, at least there are solutions out there.

Offline Violentfix

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Cobra: The Inner Sanctum
« Reply #25 on: May 2, 2005, 05:08 PM »
I was very disappointed in the Battle droids.  I bought 10 of them when they came out and now I have ten piece of crap figures that I find lying around my toy room because they can't even stand on their supplied display piece.

I'm not too happy with the Super Battle Droids either.  How about a little articulation?
For the GI Joe Fans out there, Check out my site:
www.cobratheinnersanctum.com

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 2, 2005, 05:13 PM »
All you ROTS Battle Droid haters, feel free to PM me and sell yours to me cheap.   ;)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 2, 2005, 06:44 PM »
One problem with the legs of the ROTS Droid is the way Hasbro packed it. They pack the droid in there to where his leg is squished between the bubble and the base, causing it to bend inward. It's like this with EVERY droid I've seen, and I can't seem to bend the legs back into a regular position (they always bend back to the original position).

Of course, the way Hasbro packs figs into bubbles is another rant entirely. :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 2, 2005, 09:39 PM »
I think the figure LOOKS great, especially surrounded by droidekas and SBDs, and it stands great on Real Stands (www.realstands.com).  My only gripe is that it isn't very sturdy without a stand.  Real Stands has a 2 for 1 sale every Christmas, it's a good time for y'all to load up on these.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 2, 2005, 09:58 PM »
All you ROTS Battle Droid haters, feel free to PM me and sell yours to me cheap.   ;)

I've got to chime in...

I hate the SAGA BD, love the POTJ Security BD, but I also love the new one...

Maybe I got lucky with the one I've got, but it's far superior to my Saga one....The paint ap is also much cooler this time.