Author Topic: RotS Plo Koon's Jedi Starfighter  (Read 19884 times)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Re: RotS Plo Koon's Jedi Starfighter
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 06:47 PM »
Can you post a link to this article?
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

SilverZ

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 07:39 PM »
Linky (Hyperspace)

I actually don't mind it being an older vehicle, since it shows that the older starships are still in use. One of my big pet peeves about the PT is the random ship evolution with little reuse of designs from earlier episodes. It’s just jarring to me.

From a story standpoint, if not for the CW cartoons, I'd say he has been off on distant campaigns long enough to not have received an upgraded fighter yet.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 9, 2005, 09:41 AM »
Hasbro today gives as an update on the Plo Koon Starfighter.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 9, 2005, 11:46 AM »
ah I as  hoping it would be the new style but I like plo Koon so I'll get it once it hits clearance, providing it shows up here. ???
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

SilverZ

« Reply #19 on: April 9, 2005, 06:54 PM »
How many times am I going to have to put up a Hasbro quote? Either they say something insulting to collectors or write such cringe-worthy drivel, that I feel it necessary to begin cataloging the fun:

"How do you make a Jedi warrior even more powerful? Stick him in this awesome starfighter, that's how"

It's time to review some of the other hits from Hasbro's March and early April updates:

"Recreate the awesome intergalactic dogfights of Revenge of the Sith with action features..."
"This awesome Clone Trooper action figure..."
"...totally collectible, totally tiny and totally awesome."
"This awesome next wave of deluxe figures from the Action Assortment features awesome detailing"
"Display and battle your ATTACKTIX figures with the awesome ATTACKTIX Battle Case!"
"Awesome ATTACKTIX action straight from Revenge of the Sith!"
"Each blaster in this awesome assortment is styled to exactly resemble its model in the movie..."
"Awesome feature lets you really feel the Force: turn it on and it vibrates ..."
"With fun styling, cool accessories, and awesome battle features..."
"Overpower Anakin’s opponents with awesome lightsaber attack action!"
"Cool action figures with amazing detail and awesome action features or working accessories!"

I've noticed a push lately to change it up in new, clever ways:

"he shows up with this wicked starfighter..."
"Featuring exciting battle attack action, hyper articulation or working accessories..."

Hyper? That's fantastic. Wicked? A little too Jimmy Fallon. Can't wait to see some more updates, keep 'em rolling, Big H!

Offline proudfather2

• Jedi Initiate
  • Todd
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 9, 2005, 08:10 PM »
The supplement doesn't necessarily explain why Plo Koon's still flying around in one of the older models though - or why it has a design similar to Anakin's.

Perhaps the rest of the book will....

Perhaps Plo, like Han Solo, tends to stick with a particular vehicle/model when he finds one that suites him. Besides, who knows what kinds of interior, electrical and mechanical modifications good `ol Plo has made to this older ship? Like real folk, even some Jedi might not be able to afford that brand new state-of-the-art car, er umm, ship.

As for the paint scheme being just like Anakin's, I'm guessing nothing more than pure lack of imagination.

That being said, I like it! I'll buy this vehicle if/when I find one. I should go buy me a Plo to pilot it while I can easily find him.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 9, 2005, 09:48 PM »
First of all, and this might be a spoiler, the scenes of Plo Koon piloting his starfighter for ROTS were shot inside the newer Jedi Starfighter cockpit (they used the same one for Anakin and Obi-Wan, with different droid heads in place for each actor/character), so this retro-JSF for Koon is obviously one of those post-production decisions made by LFL. 

That said, I wonder when we'll see this one pop up on the Hasbro website, in reference to the "bitchin'" 12" Ultimate Villain Anakin/Vader (that I recently detailed my experiences with in the 12 inch forum):

"Comes with  AWESOME barefoot action since his boots are so AWESOME they don't ******* fit!"

Damn right I'm still bitter.  :-\
« Last Edit: April 9, 2005, 09:50 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline Maul

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
plo koon?
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 02:38 PM »
does anyone know if his ship is comin out anytime soon?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: plo koon?
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 02:42 PM »
does anyone know if his ship is comin out anytime soon?

Still has a July date according to most lists...

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 7, 2005, 04:20 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: June 7, 2005, 04:20 PM »
Plo Koon Jedi Starfighter - Cancelled?

"June 3 2005: This item is not available at Entertainment Earth. Entertainment Earth has not received any units of this item from Hasbro."

Does this mean it's not coming or just that EE won't be carrying it?

Maybe it's now it's going to be an exclusive someplace else?

Hmmm...  :-\

Jeff

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 7, 2005, 06:59 PM »
That's kinda weird - perhaps they either

(a) thought it was in bad taste since the only time it shows up in the movie is to get blown to pieces so they cancelled it

or

(b) store toy buyers were like "No way" since it is just a repaint of the AOTC Jedi Starfighter toy.

OR (and this one is definitely iffy)

(c) one or perhaps two of the brick and mortar stores bought out the entire production of these and e-tailers like EE are left out in the cold.

I could see TRU grabbing this item as an exclusive 'cause they love to sit on stacks and stacks of vehicles in their stores. The retailer with the most stacks wins!  ::)

Seriously though, with display space shrinking and the only thing that really moves with any velocity are: individually carded figures, electronic lightsabers, Darth Vader Voice Changers and Deluxe Figures, I think the retailers may have passed on it 'cause they are phasing out vehicles in their SW displays.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 7, 2005, 10:13 PM »
Even though I did not intend on getting one (something I was actually going to stick to), I think that if the ship is indeed cancelled, it was one of the best decisions that Hasbro and retail have made for the line.  I know that will probably invoke some venom from people, but look at it from the best and worst case scenarios where the item is actually released:

BEST CASE:  The ship is released and, as I think we can all predict, bombs horribly, because not only is it the third repaint of a ship that has hit clearance twice in the span of two years, it's also using a paint scheme of an EU ship based on that same exact design.  Let's not even mention the fact that the Plo Koon figure currently out there won't fit in the cockpit (I've already tried with the AOTC Jedi Starfighter) without serious warping to his "skirt."  It sits on shelves and collects dust, leading retail to tell Hasbro that vehicles don't sell and Hasbro not making any more good vehicles and only endless repaints of the X-Wing as TRU exclusives for the next five years.

WORST CASE:  The ship is released and nobody can find it because it's the final item in the vehicle assortment, which every retailer already has a stack of sitting on the shelves.  It becomes a rare piece and goes for an arm and a leg on Ebay for absolutely no other reason than it is an artificially hyped vehicle in comparatively short supply.  Oh, and the Plo Koon doesn't fit in the cockpit, but figures not fitting in cockpits hasn't necessarily stopped Hasbro from putting a toy out in the past now, has it?

If they've cancelled it, I say great, because it stops either of these scenarios from happening.  With retail seemingly putting the brakes on as far as vehicles go (just in time for the Wookiee Orthihopter to show up  ::) ), if this were released it would either be a really underwhelming Ebay Exclusive or it would be retail poison.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2005, 10:52 AM »
Plo Koon Jedi Starfighter - Cancelled?

"June 3 2005: This item is not available at Entertainment Earth. Entertainment Earth has not received any units of this item from Hasbro."

Does this mean it's not coming or just that EE won't be carrying it?

Maybe it's now it's going to be an exclusive someplace else?

Well, according to GH's latest QnA, it sounds like the Plo Koon Starfighter got cancelled from EE because Hasbro optioned it to someone as an exclusive.  So, it sounds like it's still coming, just not to EE.

Now the question is, which retailer was dumb enough to take a "new" RotS vehicle that is actually a repainted Episode 2 ship as an exclusive?   :P

Jeff

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2005, 10:56 AM »
Now the question is, which retailer was dumb enough to take a "new" RotS vehicle that is actually a repainted Episode 2 ship as an exclusive?

That's what I was wondering Jeff.  To me, I thought it was good when it first sounded like it was cancelled...or at least not coming to "regular" retail.  I really think that ship would have just camped out on the shelves for a good long time.  Then again, you never know.  I'm personally not really interested in it, but it will be interested to see who "won" the rights to have this as their exclusive.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2005, 01:34 PM »
I may be one of the few people interested in this. 

I didn't start buying ships until the OTC line, so if this did show up in a ROTS box, it would save me trying to someday buy one on eBay. 

It's not that I need this particular ship really bad, but it's been fun to buy these medium size ships to create a "fleet" for display.  I figure since these ROTS ships aren't windowboxed, I can open them.   ;)