Author Topic: Post your ROTS reviews and thoughts!  (Read 33192 times)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: Post your ROTS reviews and thoughts!
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2005, 09:29 AM »
I'm imagining this film has a lot more deleted footage to it than any other SW movie.

There is a comment somewhere in one of the books (either the Art of or Making of, I can't recall which) where Lucas is describing the editing process.  He said that at one point he just had too much going on in the film and decided that if it didn't directly affect Anakin, it would be cut.  His rationale was that it is Anakin's story from beginning to end and side tangents involving political wrangling (such as the scenes involving Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, and Padme) and other such things would simply slow the film down.

As for Dagobah, from what I recall, they actually finished the shot (all CG, I think) of Yoda exiting his pod and looking around, but Lucas decided to drop it.  That and the loss of Qui-Gon's voice with Yoda on Polis Massa are the two scenes that I am most disappointed in being cut.  Oh well, there is always the DVD I suppose.

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2005, 11:59 PM »
I am pretty shocked at the amount of people who don't like this film.  It has the most weight and depth of any of the prequels, and was very powerful emotionally.  I stayed away from all spoilers, and as a result, had no expectations.  I think this is a piece of evidence that illustrates that spoilers do more harm then good.   It reminds me of when I saw The Two Towers for the first time; I kept expecting to see Shelob, and she never appeared.  If I hadn't read the book before, I wouldn't have expected this.  It seems that some of fans are having simillar experiences with Sith.  However, I am not one of them, thank goodness.  After seeing Phantom Menace, I learned my lesson not to have any expectations for these prequels.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 12:02 AM by Jedidz23 »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2005, 02:37 AM »
Saw it for a second time today, and I enjoyed it much more. The only thing I don't like about it are those Padme/Anakin scenes. God, those are torture to sit through, just like in AOTC.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2005, 08:15 AM »
I finally got to see it again for the second time.  Hell it was much better the second viewing.  I don't know.  Maybe it is better than ROTJ?  Well I have ROTJ at #3. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2005, 09:26 AM »
I got a chance to see it for the 2nd time this past weekend as well, and really enjoyed it once again.  I thought it was great the first time, but it seems even better the more you see it.  You just pick up on other little things that you might have missed the first time around.  I was so proud when my wife turned to me and said "hey, did you see that, the Millennium Falcon was in that last scene".  I didn't even tell her to watch for it ;).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 09:26 AM by mosnab »

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2005, 11:23 AM »
Well, I went to see the movie for the fifth time on Sunday night, and I still ******* love it.

On a personal note, I took my mom to see it (she loved it) and now I've gone with her to see all six Star Wars movies in the theatre. She took me to see ANH when it was rereleased right before ESB, and I was almost 4 years old. So being able to take her to this last one was a big deal for me. Anyone else have a similar experience?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2005, 02:28 PM »
I really was a fan of all the prequels until now!! I think Revenge of the Sith was the worst Star Wars film ever made!

Here is my rank of Star Wars films:

1. Return of The Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Attack Of The Clones
4. A New Hope
5. Revenge Of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace

All of this is inconsistant, you know? To say that you liked the prequels until ROTS... that's brave.

I can't help but wonder if its possible for your mind to change once the DVD comes out, seeing as your biggest complaints are of scenes that were taken out of the movie. Once those scenes are dropped back in, will you change your mind?

As far as your complaint about Natalie Portman not being able to act... where were you with TPM and AOTC? You realize Natalie Portman was in those movies, too, right? ROTS was all of the actors' best of the prequels - to me it looked like everyone finally got their **** together and decided to put effort into the movie.

As far as Luminara goes - I don't know what you think you saw, but she was only in the movie for a fraction of a second and she looked alright to me... The fact that a fraction-of-a-second background character managed to put a dent in your view of ROTS says alot :

Bottom line is : You made the mistake of looking into spoilers and reading too much into the hype machine...

On a personal note, I took my mom to see it (she loved it) and now I've gone with her to see all six Star Wars movies in the theatre. She took me to see ANH when it was rereleased right before ESB, and I was almost 4 years old. So being able to take her to this last one was a big deal for me. Anyone else have a similar experience?

I think that's awesome. I'm 20, so I missed all of the OT the first time around, but my mom took me to see the Special Editions on their opening nights... we've went to see every single one of the 6 films in theatres together, so I thought it was special to that me and mom got to see the final film together, too.

It would have been nice to see Dagobah, but I mainly wanted to see Vader ignite his red Lightsaber!

Someone told me that once Anakin turned to the dark side, his lightsaber would magically turn from blue to red... God I'm so glad that didn't happen, LOL. I wonder how long Vader walks around with a blue saber before he builds a new one.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2005, 03:00 PM »
Obi-Wan took his saber so, probably right away

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2005, 04:00 PM »
Wow...there's definitely a trend of people who were all into spoilers not liking this film and those who tried to avoid them liking it.

I'm glad I resisted the temptation.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 31, 2005, 05:02 PM »
Anyone else have a similar experience?

Yes, I had pretty much the same experience as yours, Lando.  My mother took me to see all three films in their original theatrical runs when I was very young, and I have taken her to see all three of the prequels during their theatrical runs.  It will always be special to me that I was able to give back to her what she gave to me when I was a child.

This is what Star Wars is all about.  Not overpriced exclusive action figures or life size statues or the fifth variation of Anakin's Starfighter: the films, the stories, and the connections that we all have made because of them. 

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 1, 2005, 12:41 AM »
Anyone else have a similar experience?
This is what Star Wars is all about.  Not overpriced exclusive action figures or life size statues or the fifth variation of Anakin's Starfighter: the films, the stories, and the connections that we all have made because of them. 

Great point Dr. Padawan.  There are a lot of strong connections to my childhood due to Star Wars.  I too took my Mom to see ROTS, and we had a great time.  She took me to all of the movies as a kid, and I have repaid the favor.  She even watched Clones with me on DVD two weeks before Sith came out.  That was so cool!   :)

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 1, 2005, 12:43 AM »
Wow...there's definitely a trend of people who were all into spoilers not liking this film and those who tried to avoid them liking it.

Same here!!  Believe me, I avoided spoilers like the plague (just ask Darth Broem), and that helped my enjoyment of the film.  Spoilers are more hype tools that increase expectations, and I learend my lesson about expectations from Episode I.

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 1, 2005, 12:46 AM »
I finally got to see it again for the second time.  Hell it was much better the second viewing.  I don't know.  Maybe it is better than ROTJ?  Well I have ROTJ at #3. 

I don't know Brian.  Jedi is pretty great.  Watch it again, and you'll see.  It is even more powerful aftr seeing ROTS.  I think we all have a proclivity to think less highly of Jedi, but it is still a heck of a great film.  Han Solo's wit (even when tempered by love) is irreplaceable, and who can forget the joy you first felt when you saw Luke in his black Jedi tunic.  Of course, you are a wise young Jedi, so hey, it's all good.   ;)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 1, 2005, 08:27 AM »
Yeah, that's true Dan.  I just need to pop in Jedi and it will all come back.  Still, ROTS is up there as a good SW film. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 1, 2005, 12:39 PM »

I resisted spoilers as well and kept fairly spoiler free, but I still agree that this is the wrost of all 6.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."