Author Topic: Post your ROTS reviews and thoughts!  (Read 33044 times)

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Post your ROTS reviews and thoughts!
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 08:03 PM »
Brad really sums up what I thought of this movie quite well. I just saw it for the second time and caught a few new things. I agree with every statement Brad made, and don't have anything to add to the list of good/bad. The space battle was really too long, just like the podrace in TPM. I literally fall asleep watching that whole podrace scene (and up to it). The saber battles really did not seem all that epic either, as pointed out by Brad. Not near long enough. At many points it looked like Yoda and Palpatine were not trying to destroy each other, but attack each others lightsaber. I was expecting way more out of the Mace vs. Palpatine scenes as well. It was stupid how Kit, Agen, and Saessee were killed within seconds of Palps drawing his saber. Dumb. In addition, I think that the camera angles were zoomed in too far during the Palp and Mace fight, you really only saw their faces and not overall shots like past battles. What the crap was going on with Palps voice when he was shocking Mace? "Unlimited power"?, "You will die!!"? They sounded like a constipated Gollum, indeed.

Like with the other 2 prequels, I will fast forward to the last half hour of each and be done with it. Those put together are an 1.5 hour movie that I would give a "B+" to. The movie was just long at certain parts, and far too short in others. I really was disapointed by the fighting scenes, they just didn't cut it for me.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 08:57 PM »
Well of course there are things that everyone will fault about the movie! However despite it's *few*flaws, it's now my favorite out of the entire Saga.

Things I liked:

The Jedi Purge was done fantastically, I actually teared up at that point...I suppose being a Clone Wars fan makes it that much more powerful.

The Special Effects were just incredible, absoultley mind blowing.

Padme and Anakin had chemistry this time! Wooo!

Vader was absolutley freaking evil...and I actually felt sorry for Nute, although I think he should have had a better death than that, since he's been a main player in the Prequels.

I loved the Darth Plageius scenes, wow...that was McDiarmids best.

The commlink scene, that was great.

Things I didn't care for:

The droid voices really grated my nerves. What happend to the originals?

Grevious, despite being a fairly cool character, didn't have much development and had a somewhat annoying voice.

Mace didn't seem very alarmed that Palpatine was Sidious...

Music didn't fit the space battle well...the space battle was kinda odd for SW.

But despite that, I totally freaking loved it! This is what I've been waiting for. Well done Lucas, well done.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2005, 09:09 PM »
I forgot to mention that Palpatine sucked with his lightsaber...

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2005, 09:11 PM »
Ahh god bless the maturity of the people here that can agree to dissagree.
I love this place.
Well i saw it at midnight
The initial battle was very very pretty and i got a lot of satisfaction knowing there was a lot of Temura Morrisons being killed, kinda made up for Janjo.

What was up with R2 taking Jarjars place as the comedy relief, it was strange the fans in the cinema were quiet during things like that and the casual movie goer laughed pretty hard.
I really didnt like the cough that the General had, when i mentioned this at another site it was quickly pointed out that i hadn't taken notice of the animated series were mace crushes his chest, Well i didnt see the animated second series , i only just got the first on on dvd, many of the people thaat were there hadn't seen it either and were talking about it after as well.
The first thing i noticed was that Anakins balls must have dropped cause at the start he actually sounded cool, Vaders voice was spot on the money till he yelled Noooooooooooooo, marby just a angry yell would have been better instead of the Nooooooooooooooooooooo and maybe a confrontation with palpatine would have been good aswell, you know something like you promised me the power to save her , then palpatine hands vader his ass.
Best bits in the movie.
Vaders first breath inside the mask - cool as all hell
Bail and Antilles walking through the Tantive4
purging of the jedi , very cool and disturbing all in one
Mace vs Palpatine, because it bought the mind games back into a lightsaber fight ala empire.
Owen standing on tatooine just like luke did
oh and seeing Jeremy bulloch as the tantive 4 pilot

things that should have been changed
dooku fight - too short
Anakin vs Obiwan - not enough dialogue between them in final duel
skipping things from book and graphic novels
quigons voice over
quinlan voss- i was so happy when obiwan mentoned his name i thought we'd se him.

I liked the movie enought to warrant a second veiwing and maybe the things i didn't like wont be so bad the second time round i dunno
overall i gave it a 6
it was easily the best of the 3 prequels but it's still not a patch on the original trilogy
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2005, 09:18 PM »
Me and my friend Trevor whom I have known since we were in Kindergarten together went to the show this afternoon at the new local ULTRAScreen.  Trevor and I went to school together all the way through College and I was in his wedding.  At his wedding I met my wife who was their wedding singer.  We have talked SW on and off since Empire so it was a lot of fun going with him.

First of all, the presentation that I saw was phenomenal.  The ULTRAScreen is amazing, 2 times larger than most screens but the sound was what kicked my ass.  The explosions and score were amazing.  The largeness of the screen made it a bit hard to take it all in sometimes though, and I was almost wishing I was further back in the theater.  Kudos though to the movie house for putting it in right in time for ROTS

I loved it, I really did.  I've known the whole story and been spoiled rotten about the whole thing and knew what was coming but it really didn't detract at all from the movie.  The visuals and the script were both unknowns and that made for a rather pleasurable afternoon.

Two things that are bugging me about reviews I've read in newspapers and elsewhere and I guess here...the absolute trashing of TPM and AOTC when at the time of release both of which were both partly praised in Menace and generally like in Clones.  I think Clones especially is getting a rather bad rap from reviewers.  The other thing that bugs me is picking on the "stilted" dialogue.  What part of Far Far Away don't you understand?  Its a freaking movie set in another place where people speak Lucasian.  I think the acting (Portman was solid I thought) was far greater than anything so far.  Hayden and Ewan were great together and their final duel was really hard to watch

The effects were great, really great.  The clones and Yoda were amazingly real this time.  The skin of Yoda should win Rob Coleman an Oscar...he was great.  I absolutely loved the space battle.  All of that stuff going on and the look and effects of it all is amazing.  To think almost 99% of that is CGI is almost explode your head great.

I felt drained watching the second act, watching Anakin make bad choices and bad decisions.  I still feel the same about Mace as I did after reading the novelization.  He is an ass and I almost found myself wanting him dead for being/treating him the way he did

The book really fleshes out some of the things that are happening, specifically that Anakin wants to be a Master because it would grant him access to all parts of the Jedi Archives in which secrets to saving life are kept.  Also, the Jedi vs Palpatine pull is much more fleshed out and you really without a doubt know that the decision he makes really is one that he needs to.  To me, it didn't need to be abrupt now I'm evil kind of thing.  We have to know that there is still good in him and we know why he did what he did.  Its tragedy and it works I think the novel dwells too much on the first act and little with the end and so together with the film it really provides a great overall story

I agree the voice overs were bad.  Not sure why they didn't keep the same voices, it smacks of laziness.  I detested Ben "Insert Fart Noise Here" Burtt's score decisions he made, recycling of prequel stuff was poor decisions made, especially when he's done it before.  The cheesy Vader "Noooooooooo" was sort of dumb and cliched as was the Frankenstien actions but it was alright.

The duel...great
The creatures...great
The locations...great (loved Mustafar!)
Palpatine...great (except the voice weirdness after his transformation)

The immolation scene is still sticking with me, its so powerful, so well done and Ewan makes it all work so well.  I have to see it at least two more times but I may say that this one beats Empire...IMO

Signed,

Giddy as a School

:-*

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 09:22 PM »
"things that should have been changed...skipping things from book and graphic novels'

This type of comment always drives me nuts.  The book and the graphic novels are SPIN-OFFS of the movie.  They are crud created to make money.  The film is the first and last word.  If Lucas doesn't put it in the movie, it isn't important to the movie.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 09:51 PM »
I can sum my experience up with one sentence.  I wish I would of never followed any of the spoilers :-\  That was my downfall. 

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 09:56 PM »
I thought ROTS was tremendous. It did exactly what it set ot to do and exceeded all my expectations. The mention of "Master Vos" really excited me, and him not dying as he did in the graphic novel got my hopes up for another Republic comic storyline.

The only criticism I have would be the death of all the Jedi...It was so short and skipped arond so much, I wasn't able to really take it all in. The temple massacre didn't effect me as mch as I believe it should have. It was quick, but other parts, IMO, cold have been shortened for this to have a larger presence in the movie.

Ah well....It was a wonderfl film. My favorite PT film by far. I got home at 3am and set ot to watch 4, 5, and 6, but didn't even make it to the Death Star. I'll hav eto see ROTS again and fix this.

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2005, 11:07 PM »
By far the best of the prequels, IMO.
Had some boring/weak moments and bad acting/dialogue, but let's face it, every SW movie has those (with the exception of Empire).
Some things I liked:
Ian McDiarmid gives a truly great performance.
Yoda's fight with the Emperor absolutely rocks!
The last 45 minutes of the movie come close to the original trilogy.
The movie actually contains some genuine emotion, tears in the eyes in spots.

Overall, I'd have to give it a big thumbs up
Despite its flaws, this is the movie I've been waiting to see for 22 years 

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2005, 11:14 PM »
Did anyone think it was completely out of character for Obi-Wan to abandon Ani to an agonizing, slow death? Finish him off fer christ’s sake, don’t leave him to cook like a tater-tot… Kenobi is a cruel, sadistic bastard!  >:(
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2005, 11:18 PM »
Did anyone think it was completely out of character for Obi-Wan to abandon Ani to an agonizing, slow death? Finish him off fer christ’s sake, don’t leave him to cook like a tater-tot… Kenobi is a cruel, sadistic bastard!  >:(
Jedi code sort of thing I think...I don't think he wanted to kill him and he knew he had to save Padme

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2005, 11:25 PM »
I thought it was definately the best of the prequals. It still doesn't touch the originals because of the lack of fun. It's just very sad and dark. Not much humor except for R2 and the SBDs.

The effects make TPM ones look like skycaptain and world of tomorrow in comparison. TPM looked cheaply done in other words. The effects in ROTS are very coloriful and detailed. For the most part they were executed well. There were a few scenes that looked unfinished but they were minor.

The acting was decent except when Padme and Anakin did the 'I love you more' talk. That scene should have been cut. There were a few places in the film that it seemed we missed a scene or two. For example when Padme started talking about a rebelion. This was because of the talk she had with Mon Mothma that was cut. The Emporer, yoda and obiwan did great. I though Palpatine turning into Sideous was a little gross as was Anakin catching on fire. But it was ok. The frankenstin monster thing was campey.

The saddest part had to be when Anakin walked into the jedi council were the younglings were hiding. They all flocked to him asking for protection and Anakin answers by lighting his lightsaber.

I saw it the second time with my wife and five year old. My five year old was board out of his mind. He kept asking when it would be over. He'd perk up during the action scenes but just wanted to take a nap during the talking. He is a big star wars fan however and loved the space battles and lightsaber fights. The rest just didn't keep his attention. I guess he does better at 90 minute Disney/pixar movies than 2 1/2 hour ones.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 11:37 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2005, 12:22 AM »
Jedi code sort of thing I think...I don't think he wanted to kill him and he knew he had to save Padme

He did tell Yoda he would not kill Anakin. Besides...Ani is a Sith by then...Despite any love for his former padawan, I'm sre the Dark Side trned Obi Wan off to any sort of life beyond Mustafar for Ani---he was too far gone already.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2005, 12:25 AM »
I don't think Obi Wan leaving Anakin is out of character at all.  Anakin murdered children.  Choked his wife.  I can go on.  He got what he deserved.

UPDATED: My review: http://terminal-optimist.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 12:27 AM by Spuffy »

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2005, 02:14 AM »
I'm going to reply without reading what anyone else has written (I'll go back and read afterwards) so as not to be influenced by what anyone wrote.

I thought overall ROTS was a really good movie, not as great as the OT (then again nothing could be) but way better than TPM or AOTC. The visuals were breathtaking, you really need to see ROTS multiple times to catch all the things going on in the background during the Battle of Coruscant and Palpatine's rescue. The intrigue throughout the movie is really well played, Palpatine's influence on everyone around him, including Anakin is well done. The way Anakin turns into Vader, while not all that surprising is still very sad. He becomes the thing he hates the most because he thinks he's doing the right things to save Padme. I was shocked to know he killed the Younglings, sure he goes all evil and all, but damn that was beyond evil. And lots and lots of lightsaber duels!!! 5 of them in fact, just awesome stuff and a job well done by the actors, cg guys, and Nick Gillard. The only thing that got me with the duels was the somewhat anti-climatic ending to Obi-Wan vs Anakin. Had there not been the pause between Obi-Wan getting the high ground and him finishing off Anakin, I think it would have played out better. The betrayal of the Jedi by the Clones, while I knew it was coming, seemed sad and Yoda's reactions to the various Jedi's death should have clearly echoed those of the audience. And what about R2-D2? That little astro-droid (hah, they almost swore!  :D) was the hero of the movie, he just rocked in the first 30 minutes!

Unfortunately, there's always some negatives, though not much to really ruin the experience for me. I thought many of the scenes with Padme and Anakin still felt cheesy and pushed, especially the scene with the hair brushing. Though I thought they did a great job in their last scene together on Mustafar. If you didn't sympathize with the pained emotions in Padme's voice, you have no soul! And I've been told I have no soul, so I know what I'm talking about.  :P The only other thing that really bothered me was during the lightsaber duels there were so many darn closeups and not of the characters but of their blades. A wider shot in many cases, especially during the ObiWan/Anakin duel would have led to a more dramatic feel to them. Neither of these things made the movie a downer to me and overall I liked it a lot, 4th best Star Wars movie.... EVER!  ;D

Ok a quick addition after reading the reviews from everyone else...

I'm not sure why it was cut out, but I read that Qui-Gon Jinn was supposed to appear in ghostly form in the film. A few weeks ago, I read it as a spoiler in the newspaper in an article about Liam Neeson. So the scene may have been cut for the flow of the story, but then the whole dialogue about astral projection probably should have been cut too.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 02:43 AM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot