Author Topic: Post your ROTS reviews and thoughts!  (Read 33039 times)

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Post your ROTS reviews and thoughts!
« Reply #75 on: May 23, 2005, 12:55 PM »
I get that RS sensation where anyone who isn't raving about ROTS is dealt with as an outcast. ::)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2005, 01:00 PM »
What became of the Sypho Dias mystery- ah, nothing?

As far as the film goes, nothing was ever said about it (and although I haven't read the novelization all the way through yet), but my other arch-nemesis, the Expanded Universe, did cover this, and supposedly it was Lucas' own explanation given the James Luceno as to how to handle it.

Basically, Sifo-Dyas was a real Jedi Master and close friends with Dooku.  When word of the Trade Federation invasion of Naboo occurred, Sifo-Dyas started to be as paranoid as I usually am and placed an order for a Clone Army from Kamino because of the growing darkness.  He had only made initial contact by this point, and the only person he informed of his plans was Dooku.

So, Qui-Gon died on Naboo and Dooku became disillusioned and left the Jedi Order.  Sidious actually sought Dooku out and began to discuss his ideas for the galaxy with him; Dooku was interested in Sidious' plans and pledged fealty to the Sith.  As his final test, Dooku was told to kill Sifo-Dyas (his best friend) to prove his loyalty to Sidious.  When Dooku informed Sidious of the Clone Army contact, Sidious told him to keep the order because they may be useful in the future.  Before giving his two week notice to the Jedi Council, Dooku erased all mention of Kamino from the Jedi Archives.  Sidious then sent Dooku to locate and recruit Jango Fett as the Clone template and the rest is Galactic History.

Personally, I think it's a little too complicated, and you could have cut out Sifo-Dyas actually ordering the Clone Army completely.  Just have Dooku kill him, place an order (that could be traced back the Jedi Temple for legitimacy) for the Clones under the identity of Sifo-Dyas (the Kaminoans never saw the real guy), erase everything to do with Kamino and leave the Jedi Order.  That way they could have actually mentioned it in the film; however, given the fact that non-fans aren't really debating this after seeing ROTS shows how much they care about anything that happened in AOTC.  ;D

This was "settled" in James Luceno's "Labyrinth of Evil" by the way.  Despite my intense hatred for the endless superweapons, Dawson's Creek Jedi, and invincible alien races who grow their ships, the book was pretty good, and I'm very curious to see how Luceno does with the rumored Rise of Vader book he's doing late next year.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2005, 01:31 PM »
No one is going RS over you not liking Sith. At least I don't think so... :-\

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2005, 02:08 PM »
I get that RS sensation where anyone who isn't raving about ROTS is dealt with as an outcast. ::)
I don't get that feeling, there were quite a few people here who didn't like the flick

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2005, 02:47 PM »
True, but some people are the other way around.  If you don't hate the film like one person does then the person that liked it is considered to be a "fanboy" and will like any and all SW stories no matter how bad or good it is. 

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 23, 2005, 04:21 PM »
What became of the Sypho Dias mystery- ah, nothing?
This was "settled" in James Luceno's "Labyrinth of Evil" by the way.  Despite my intense hatred for the endless superweapons, Dawson's Creek Jedi, and invincible alien races who grow their ships, the book was pretty good, and I'm very curious to see how Luceno does with the rumored Rise of Vader book he's doing late next year.

Wow!  Nicely put Doctor Padawan!  I couldn't agee more.  I will never give any money to a series that kills Chewbacca, and the Dawson's Creek Jedi comment...classic!

I was debating reading Labrinth of Evil, and am very glad for the explanation of Dias.  I think I'll check it out.   ;D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 04:22 PM by Jedidz23 »

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 23, 2005, 04:23 PM »

Yikes!  Don't feel that way bud!  I sure didn't mean to imply that, so my apologies if that's how it came out.  We all love Star wars and are just sharing our oppinions.  Yours is just as valid as any of ours!   :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2005, 05:44 PM »
Yeah, Dave didn't like it...  But that's just Dave. ;)  :-*  (j/k)

When I left the theater last night my buddy told me he'd have questions, and low and behold he did today.  He asked why Dagobah/Yoda wasn't shown since the children and Obi-Wan were.  I've heard this was filmed but deleted as well.  I'm imagining this film has a lot more deleted footage to it than any other SW movie.  Just a gut feeling right now, but I bet he could do one hell of a bonus DVD for this movie if he were so inclined.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2005, 06:51 PM »
After seeing the movie a second time, I enjoyed it much more. I simply had to tell myself that it's a prequel and that I shouldn't expect anything different. If I was 13, I'd probably love it like I loved ROTJ at one point, but after becoming a lover of great film, it's nothing more than a guilty pleasure.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 06:54 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2005, 08:13 PM »
"I loved ROTJ at one point, but after becoming a lover of great film, it's nothing more than a guilty pleasure."

I agree.  I think that ROTJ is succesful only in the Vader/Luke/Emperor stuff.  Other than that, I think it's the slowest and most claustrophobic of all of the films.  While I dig the movie too, it's becuase I like SW, not because it's a great movie.  I think that ROTS is a stronger third act with a solid beginning, middle and end.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2005, 10:37 PM »
Seeing it my second and third time did it for me. Much, much better of a film. I think I was expecting too much. I am able to sit down and enjoy it, that is for sure. What really got me the first time is there were so many things I personally wanted to see and they just didn't happen. I needed to appreciate this as a SW movie and not what I wanted out of it, that just isn't realistic.

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2005, 10:58 PM »
Seeing it my second and third time did it for me. Much, much better of a film. I think I was expecting too much. I am able to sit down and enjoy it, that is for sure. What really got me the first time is there were so many things I personally wanted to see and they just didn't happen. I needed to appreciate this as a SW movie and not what I wanted out of it, that just isn't realistic.

I know what you guys are saying.  I went into it thinking that it should be better than the first two, and thank goodness, it was.  I think that allowed me to really enjoy the film on my first viewing.  If anything, I was somewhat disturbed and saddened.  A lot of depressing (yet neccessary) things occur.   I avoided all spoilers, and had no idea what it would reveal, and what it wouldn't.

It would have been nice to see Dagobah, but I mainly wanted to see Vader ignite his red Lightsaber!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 11:39 AM by Jedidz23 »

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2005, 03:07 AM »
Well, I am not sure really where I stand on this last Star Wars film, but I must say, I really was a fan of all the prequels until now!! I think Revenge of the Sith was the worst Star Wars film ever made! Being a die hard Star Wars fan, I guess I expected since it was indeed the last film to be made, I thought it would be way better then it was.  Now don't get me wrong anyone, the CGI was excellent, but here are the things that really ticked me off!!

- Where was Shaak Ti?? She Originally was supposed to be killed by Grievous, That was Cut!
  Was then supposed to be killed by Anakin on his killing spree in the temple, according to "The Making of Revenge Of the Sith" and the novel. That was totally Cut!

- Where was Barriss Offee??

- I swear I only saw Luminara Unduli only once In the film! And she looked nothing like the Mary Oyaya version either!

- The brief moment we saw of our favorite Jedi getting slaughtered was horrible!! It should have been longer!! More action and talking too!

- Natalie Portman acted horribly!! Although I loved when Hayden Christensen was phist at the site of Obi-Wan on the ship, he did great!

- We hardly saw Grievous, for what the first 30-40 minutes or so?? Wasn't he supposed to be this big bad jedi killing machine?? Man seemed to have emphysema or something!

- Mon Mothma????

- If I am correct was there a scene where Anakin and Obi-Wan were in water?? Where was that!!

- We hardly saw the wookies!!

- Utapuan Warriors????

Here is my rank of Star Wars films:

1. Return of The Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Attack Of The Clones
4. A New Hope
5. Revenge Of the Sith
6. The Phantom Menace

« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 03:13 AM by Mainland05 »
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2005, 08:31 AM »
From above... "but here are the things that really ticked me off!!

- Where was Shaak Ti?? She Originally was supposed to be killed by Grievous, That was Cut!
  Was then supposed to be killed by Anakin on his killing spree in the temple, according to "The Making of Revenge Of the Sith" and the novel. That was totally Cut!

- Where was Barriss Offee??

- I swear I only saw Luminara Unduli only once In the film! And she looked nothing like the Mary Oyaya version either!

- The brief moment we saw of our favorite Jedi getting slaughtered was horrible!! It should have been longer!! More action and talking too!

- Natalie Portman acted horribly!! Although I loved when Hayden Christensen was phist at the site of Obi-Wan on the ship, he did great!

- We hardly saw Grievous, for what the first 30-40 minutes or so?? Wasn't he supposed to be this big bad jedi killing machine?? Man seemed to have emphysema or something!

- Mon Mothma?Huh

- If I am correct was there a scene where Anakin and Obi-Wan were in water?? Where was that!!

- We hardly saw the wookies!!

- Utapuan Warriors?Huh"

Do you realize than most (all?) of the things that made you not like Sith were things that were cut out?  If you didn't follow spoilers, you wouldn't be missing any of these things.  You were so involved with what you thought ROTS would be, you couldn't enjoy it for what it is.

I can't believe that after three prequels people don't understand how Lucas, and the Lucasfilm hype machine, works.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2005, 09:22 AM »
To be honest this is one of the ways spoilers can ruin a movie for  people.  Things that sound really cool may not make the final cut.  When they do not people can get pissed because those scenes people look forward to are not there.  However, the general public is not really supposed to know what is coming until the movie comes out.  Oh and another thing.  Shaak Ti was never in the trailers.  I could see people getting ticked if she was in a trailer and not in the film (actually she is in as a hologram). 

If you had NOT heard that Shaak Ti was going to be in the film would you really miss her?  I mean really.  I would not have.  I was surprised she was not in it because I had heard 2 possible death scenes were cut.  Maybe she is going to wind up in the TV series? 

Same goes for Bariss Offee.  So what that Luminara is not in the film.  Again would you really miss her unless you are some sort of Luminara fan?  I did not.  I would have liked to have seen her in some action but oh well.  Again maybe she is in the TV series as well?  I don't know if she was killed on Kashyyyk or not?  It's not like those 2 were ever really in the previous films that much.  Unless you are an EU fan would anyone really care? 

How was it that Natalie Portman was terrible?  I know this is an opinion of many others.  There was only one scene that I did not like with her and that was the "you are beautiful...no you are beautiful...no YOU are beautiful" scene with Anakin.  The rest of the time she is fine.  She was certainly no worse than anyone else in the OT or in this film.  Samuel L Jackson was worse IMO in this film than Natalie.  Although I liked him in the duel with the Sidious.  A scene that actually matters to the rest of the Star Wars saga.  So, I am happy with that. 

Everyone should have known that Greivous was just going to be in the film for eye candy and nothing more.  I do agree that we should have seen him mow down some Jedi.  I think we can all use our imaginations when he whips out 4 lightsabers and twirls them all at Kenobi that this dude was able to wipe out some Jedi.  Again the cough thing was explained in the Clone Wars cartoon series which I saw.  So, it made perfect sense for me.  I actually liked his cough.  It was a nice foreshadowing of Vader to come IMO. 

Mon Mothma.  Yep her scene got cut.    I would like to see it to.  But who knows?  Maybe the scene looked crappy or out of place.  At least we can all get an action figure of her if we want to.  Someone said she is in the film but in the background I guess?  Again maybe we get to see more of her in the TV series with a different actress possibly? I was not that disappointed she was not in it.  Most of the audience would probably wonder "Who the hell is that lady?" 

Yeah the original Kenobi/Anakin scene in the water was shot but extremely brief from what I have heard.    Where you really looking forward that water scene?  Why?  I don't get why someone would be pissed to not see that?  Again if you would not have been spoiled you would not have been begging for an Anakin/Kenobi scene in the water.   I can guarantee that. 

The Utapuan (sp?) warriors only got us a bit excited because of it's action figure.  It would have been neat to see them fight some battle droids I suppose.  But again it's nothing that anyone should be pissed about not seeing.  Now if it was hyped up that those guys were going to have a big role in the movie.  Then I could see someone getting ticked. 

However, I to was upset that we did not get to see more of the Wookies battling.  Why?  Because that was actually hyped up quite a bit.  I understand that.  I was looking forward to much more wookie action.  So, that does suck.  But as far as the overall story of Anakin turning to the darkside it really does not matter all that much.  But I get the dissapointment there. 

I am sorry if you were such a big fan of the other 2 prequels (which had tons of deleted scnenes) I can't see how you can not be a fan of this one to.  It's far better than the other 2 IMO.  But to each his own.  People either seem to love this movie or hate it.