Author Topic: I'm Not A Fan of Molded Sabers  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
I'm Not A Fan of Molded Sabers
« on: May 2, 2005, 01:08 AM »
I gotta say...

I nabbed the Palpatine figure tonight in the red robes with the extra head/hands, and I'm really not liking these sabers molded into the hands and all that.

I understand single-piece saber/hilts rather than the removable blades and all that jazz...  I don't LIKE that, and I think the removable blades w/hilts were pretty cool, but this whole thing of Hasbro molding the saber TO the hand and making the hands removable sorta sucks.  I only say that about Palpy here because he doesn't have a "normal" right hand really.  Just the bony Evil hands. 

I guess I think Hasbro can do better by making a saber (single-piece), and then just a hilt, rather than sabers stuck to hands.  If kids are gonna lose the whole saber, so be it...  I can bite on the issue of removable blades being fragile though...  But no saber sorta sucks.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: I'm Not A Fan of Molded Sabers
« Reply #1 on: May 2, 2005, 03:20 AM »
I like them and I don't.  I find it funny that with Palpy and Obi Wan #1, they didn't even get the sabers right anyway, so you're left with inaccurate hilts and not a lot you can do about it unless you have extra bits lying around.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 2, 2005, 11:41 AM »
I think Hasbro did it out of necessity for preserving the action feature.

You can't have the lightsaber loosely fitting in the character's hand and then have the character wave the arm about widly and STILL expect the figure to be holding the lightsaber. Solution: mold the lightsaber into the hand. Placate the Collectors: Make the hand removable and include a regular hand holding nothing.

As far as I'm concerned I don't mind them, at least Hasbro tried with these to accomodate as many people as possible. Personally I don't need a lit lightsaber accessory and prefer having all of the options offered by the first Obi-Wan and Anakin figures.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 2, 2005, 11:51 AM »
I guess I don't mind them either from the standpoint that Hasbro was trying to please as many people as they could.  The molded sabers are so the action features don't send things flying, and I understand that, but otherwise I would much prefer and extra hand with a saber that can be taken in or out of the hand.  Extra unlit hilt, regular "lit" saber, and a hand that can grasp it...that's what I prefer, but that said...this isn't a terrible alternative for the "action feature" movie years :).

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 2, 2005, 11:52 AM »
Hmmm... much better than the magnets in the hands.   :)

I'd like to see this - a regular lightsaber, a lightsaber hilt, and a molded one with each Jedi/Sith figure.

:P

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 2, 2005, 03:05 PM »
This is a horrible idea I was much chagrined to see implemented.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: May 2, 2005, 03:41 PM »
The action features are so weak themselves though, the molded saber/hand combo's really werne't a necessity.  Just good hand sculpts to hold single-piece sabers I believe would've sufficed.  My Palpy's gonna need a hand transplant though because at the moment he has nothing going for him. 

I'm hoping perhaps to find some spares from E2 Palpy maybe, or perhaps a Bespin Luke will donate. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: May 2, 2005, 04:13 PM »
Hmmm... much better than the magnets in the hands.   :)

I'd like to see this - a regular lightsaber, a lightsaber hilt, and a molded one with each Jedi/Sith figure.

:P

That would be ideal, but not likely. the molded ones look more natural like it is actually gripped, but it is annoying because the other nad usually can't hold anything and I like being able to stick different accessories in their hands, which is where it'd be nice to have a hand that is sculpted so it can hold stuff easily.

The most annoying figure for this is Plo Koon, his hand is too big to hold a saber well and he doesn't com with a molded saber hand. He is a figure who could really use a second hand with a moldded saber, but instead they give them to figure like Palpy, he doesn't need one. All he needed was 2 nice sets of hands, one from each set could hold a saber but looked fine without one.
"This is the way."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 2, 2005, 04:14 PM »
This is a horrible idea I was much chagrined to see implemented.

Yes, this idea, it is horrible.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 3, 2005, 11:46 PM »
Conversation about this prior to the C3 Hasbro Love-in suggested that the molded sabers were a result of action feature + litigation potential.  Not sure how true the story is, but supposedly there was an incident in Australia where two kids were playing with the action feature (yes, apparently it does happen) and one ended up finding it's way into a kids eye.  Rumored figure recall and this is the solution to future litigation. 

Again, no idea of the degree of truth here.  I'm not a big fan either. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 4, 2005, 11:37 AM »
Conversation about this prior to the C3 Hasbro Love-in suggested that the molded sabers were a result of action feature + litigation potential.  Not sure how true the story is, but supposedly there was an incident in Australia where two kids were playing with the action feature (yes, apparently it does happen) and one ended up finding it's way into a kids eye.  Rumored figure recall and this is the solution to future litigation. 

Again, no idea of the degree of truth here.  I'm not a big fan either. 

It's happened to me with Slashing Vader on a number of occasions. I just don't learn, do I?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...