Author Topic: Yoda and Darth Maul  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Yoda and Darth Maul
« on: May 3, 2005, 05:21 PM »
Here's a little something I've done recently. It's on a sheet of chipboard, airbrushed, inked, and penciled... I needed to practice airbrushing shadows and controlled straight lines. This ended up looking pretty good, considering its on a cheep cardboard sheet, heh.

Size is roughly 22 inches tall by 18 inches wide. This picture is blurry because I had to scan it 4 times or so and try to photoshop the seams away. Didn't clean it up too well, sorry.

Here's a closeup.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2005, 07:10 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
Re: Yoda
« Reply #1 on: May 3, 2005, 08:11 PM »
AWESOME
I wish i could draw like that
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2005, 03:45 PM »
Nice Brad! I assume it isn't finished. The Yoda still looks sketchy to me. If that is your intent, then cool. The cast shadow is really strong. Airbrush is a great tool to learn and practice is the only thing that will make you better. What kind are you using? I think I have a Badger buried somewhere.

I am going to be a guest, local artist doing sketches for people at a local comic shop on Free Comic Book Day (Saturday, May 7). Pretty excited about that. The owner and employees are familiar with my work and although I have yet to be published, they are supportive and giving me a good opportunity to get 'out there'. I still am hard pressed to find any time to do much work on my art and/or comic ideas, but I am trying to get to a point that I can create more time to do it.

Nice to see you working and to see more art examples from you Brad. It is also really cool to see you dabbling in all these different mediums and using different tools and techniques. It is a sign that you want to get better and you are willing to try those things that may be hard for you to do. You are taking risks and you are willing to make mistakes to reach success. Keep up the good work!
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2005, 07:06 PM »
Hey Thomas - long time no speak, man! You've got to make time to share some more of your work with us here - I miss seeing you around.

Originally, the Yoda was just something I was doing to pass time - I'm trying to let myself loosen up and become more sketchy. Sometimes a less finished look may be the perfect look for a certain scene/feeling/emotion/etc.

I've been doing several airbrush assignments where detail and percision is a must, so this Yoda was just my way of breaking free from all of that tedious stuff.

Sitting there looking at the Yoda, I decided, 'Hey - I might as well practice airbrushing straight lines', and so there it went. Once I had the saber down, I figured I'd go ahead and airbrush the shadow while I was at it.

I'll probably do a new Yoda once ROTS has come and gone. Next time I won't put it on a cheap cardboard.

Oh, the airbrush I'm using is also a Badger. Crescendo Model 175.

Once exams are in and my portfolio is graded, I'll take some photos of the two projects I did in my Airbrush class - the first project was a P51 Mustang and the exam project was a Dodge Prowler.

Here's a Darth Maul I airbrushed, just for fun...

His eyes are a little offset.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2005, 07:09 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Yoda and Darth Maul
« Reply #4 on: May 4, 2005, 11:15 PM »
Good stuff!

I'll post some art here soon and we'll touch base shortly.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."