Author Topic: Charity Screening Fan Review (minor spoilers)  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Charity Screening Fan Review (minor spoilers)
« on: May 6, 2005, 07:37 AM »
A friend of mine was able to go to a Charity event last night for the screening.  He is a fan who was very disappointed with the first 2 movies.  We did not have alot of time to talk but this is what he said. 

Better than New Hope and Jedi.  Could be argued as good as Empire he said.  Very dark and as someone who has kids at 8 and 9 years old he will hold off from showing them this film.  Very violent for a PG13 film.  As most know the violence is from the purging of the Jedi (young and old), Dooku and Anakins fate. 

Tied all films together perfectly.  Will make you understand why the tone of the first 2 films were as they were.  Leads into New Hope perfectly. No questions were left unanswered. It is the longest of the 6 films.  I thought he said it ran 2.5 hours.  I asked if there were any surprises and he said a few (specifically Qui-Gon), although I think we know most of them. 

The bad.  Palpatine.  He said his acting was horrible and got worse as the film went on.  This was the only negative thing he said.  Also, the makeup on Palpatine just did not have the same feel as ROTJ and the appearance almost looks like a different person.

He said the screening was mostly the local press.  The people he talked to were pleasantly surprised and thought the movie was like night and day to the first two. 

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Charity Screening Fan Review (minor spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: May 6, 2005, 08:45 AM »
Cool!  I have not heard a bad review yet from either fans or the press. Of course there have only been a few reviews I have read so far.   Interesting he did not like Ian's performance.  Another fan thought his performance was the best in the film.  We'll all see soon! 

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: May 6, 2005, 10:31 AM »
I think it all depends on wether people have an appreciation of stage acting, which is where McDiarmid really shines.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2005, 01:30 PM »
McDiarmid bad? Can't really see that happening but we'll have to see.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2005, 01:52 PM »
I saw another review from a different fan.  He liked Ian's performance as well.  Again we shall see.  This other fan basically glowed about the film as well.  Had very few bad things to say.  Basically it was stuff like "wish the temple fighting was more in depth".  All minor stuff.

Eh, hard not to get excited about this movie when you don't really hear much bad about it so far. 

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2005, 07:40 PM »
I've read reviews where it's said that Ian steals the show. YMMV I suppose.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 6, 2005, 08:08 PM »
I've read reviews where it's said that Ian steals the show. YMMV I suppose.

I talked to him again today and told him that most of the reviews liked Ian.  He still disagreed.  He did tell me to pay close attention to the film since there are a couple of things that he had not heard from all the spoilers. He wouldnt tell me what it was ???

Offline mutantpoo

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 8, 2005, 01:04 AM »
THe scene with the young jedi getting it , is it what is on the net , that they bring them in a room with AS and heturns on his saber as the doors close ???

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 8, 2005, 08:35 AM »
THe scene with the young jedi getting it , is it what is on the net , that they bring them in a room with AS and heturns on his saber as the doors close ???

The scene takes place off screen.  Similar to the Tusken camp attack in AOTC.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 9, 2005, 08:45 AM »
We are finally hearing a few negative points about ROTS now.  However, most of the reviews seem quite positive which is very nice to hear.  Sorry to hear the Wookie battle is only a couple minutes long. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: May 9, 2005, 09:13 AM »
Like Darth Maul before them, I think the whole Wookiee thing was more a marketing thing than anything.  The Jedi's reasoning for having Yoda go there is a bit dubious as well

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 9, 2005, 11:47 AM »
Yeah, I thought that as well.  I was hoping for more than a couple minutes though.  Oh well.