Author Topic: Greivous' Cough?  (Read 11512 times)

Offline Theyrenotdolls

• Youngling
  • Always on the move....
    • View Profile
    • Theyrenotdolls.com
Re: Greivous' Cough?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2005, 11:16 PM »
actually, the important cut scene with grevious is with him lighting a big stogie...this is the reason for his cough....but they filmed him smoking the whole thing and couldn't afford to waste 40 minutes on a side plot character smoking....it slowed down the pace of the movie.

TND

They're Not Dolls Custom Star Wars Action Figures: 

http://www.theyrenotdolls.com

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 2, 2005, 12:58 AM »
actually, the important cut scene with grevious is with him lighting a big stogie...this is the reason for his cough....but they filmed him smoking the whole thing and couldn't afford to waste 40 minutes on a side plot character smoking....it slowed down the pace of the movie.
TND

Wow, now that's some good trivia!   ;)

Offline Jagdohh_Fett

• Jedi Initiate
  • Never to be remembered ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 2, 2005, 05:14 AM »
I was curious to why the cough seemed to be emphasized like that, but I missed the last few episodes of the CW cartoon so that thought never crossed my mind. Just figured it was some trait Lucas wanted to add to the character.
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes ... just wait longer."

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 2, 2005, 07:53 AM »

Maybe George was thinking of the all important India market:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/health/view/150526/1/.html

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 3, 2005, 01:15 AM »
I was curious to why the cough seemed to be emphasized like that, but I missed the last few episodes of the CW cartoon so that thought never crossed my mind. Just figured it was some trait Lucas wanted to add to the character.

What scene is everyone talking about?  I have seen this episode twice (its been a while though), but don't remember grievous suddenly developing a condition that requires a lozenge.   ;D

Offline Jagdohh_Fett

• Jedi Initiate
  • Never to be remembered ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 3, 2005, 01:52 AM »
Only caught one of those last five episodes, but I'd guess it was the last one. People seem to mention something about Mace hitting Grievous' chest which accounts for the cough, but who knows.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 01:53 AM by Jagdohh_Fett »
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes ... just wait longer."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: June 3, 2005, 07:12 AM »
Yeah, Grievous takes a bump to the torso at one point... a big, metal crushing kinda bump.  :)  I thought his cough was rather cleverly thrown in there then.

The funny thing is that I had to have a friend point it out to me, who didn't even see the CW toons, but who another friend told HIM that's where the cough came from.  It'd been so long since I watched the last season of CW that I'd totally forgotten the damage he took...  Either Lucas went out of his way to tie the two, it's a weird coincidence, or the toon creators were instructed to do something like that...  Either way, I like it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 3, 2005, 10:28 AM »
Ok, I remember this scene now.  With all that armor, I am surprised this would effect him the way it did, but who knows. 

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 3, 2005, 12:20 PM »
Yeah, it is surprising I admit.  Again I think Lucas mainly did it to foreshadow Vader's heavy breathing.  Was it needed?  Heck no.  But I think that is the reason.  I don't know what the big deal is about it.  It's a coughing cyborg.  No bigee!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #39 on: June 3, 2005, 01:08 PM »
I like the fact that he gets crushed in the Clone Wars, but I also like the fact that he coughs, since its just a little idiosyncrasy that makes him a more interesting and fleshed-out (so to speak) character.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 3, 2005, 02:34 PM »
I do think he is a cool character, to be sure.  However, don't the Clone Wars cartoons fall into the "Expanded Universe" category?  I believe so, but sometimes people act as if they are cannon.

Regardless, Grievous is the Alpha Vader, as previously stated.  I can't wait to see this movie again!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: June 3, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Lucas supposedly had a little heavier interest in the CW from a personal perspective, and did a little more direction with it than other EU materials...  He's known to have liked the cartoons a lot and that's why he "allowed" them to introduce Grievous basically.

It's all EU though...  LFL's pretty strict that anything besides the film is EU and the rest is open to debate/discussion.  The beauty of that is imagination...  I feel other genres or licenses can sorta be too stifling to the minds of their fans.  The "this is how it is" mentality prevails.  Lucas though disagrees with EU stuff but basically says to just debate away on it as to whether it's the truth or not. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 4, 2005, 01:11 AM »
Lucas supposedly had a little heavier interest in the CW from a personal perspective, and did a little more direction with it than other EU materials...  He's known to have liked the cartoons a lot and that's why he "allowed" them to introduce Grievous basically.

It's all EU though...  LFL's pretty strict that anything besides the film is EU and the rest is open to debate/discussion.  The beauty of that is imagination...  I feel other genres or licenses can sorta be too stifling to the minds of their fans.  The "this is how it is" mentality prevails.  Lucas though disagrees with EU stuff but basically says to just debate away on it as to whether it's the truth or not. 

Thanks for the explanation Jesse James!  I figured as much, but wanted to make sure.   :)
« Last Edit: June 4, 2005, 01:12 AM by Jedidz23 »