Author Topic: Greivous' Cough?  (Read 11511 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Greivous' Cough?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 02:20 AM »
According to the newest issue of Entertainment Weekly, Grievous's cough is a precursor to Vader.  Half-man, half-machine (even though Grievous certainly doesn't appear to be human), the trouble breathing, the mechanical legs and arms, the sinister mask, it all adds up.  Rob Coleman is quoted as saying, "He's like the Alpha version of Vader."

Worst Alpha version.... EVER!  ;D

Seriously, as Scott mentioned well before the movie came out, Grievous was a waste of time, just an attempt to get a cool looking villian involved. Something that could have been replaced by Dooku for the chase by Obi-Wan and the cool factor by Vader.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 08:27 AM »
Well to be honest General G is a heckuva a lot cooler to look at on screen than Ct Dooku.  Sorry Dooku fans but it's true.  The good General turned out to be pretty cool I thought.  I just wish we could have seen him take out a pack of Jedi. 

The cough thing is just something to foreshadow Vader and his breathing in my opinion.  The cough really did not bother me at all.  I am sure people that did not see the cartoon were wondering what the deal was with that cough.  Now some more people may want to check out that series and see why.  Lucas is not to dumb afterall.  LOL!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 09:44 AM »
My friend had no idea why he was coughing at all until his gut sack got exposed...

He was no more than lets put in a Darth Maul/Jango Fett type guy that people will go nuts over

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 09:46 AM »
True Scott, but people like that stuff and Lucas knows it all to well. 

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 11:36 AM »
I think Scott is right about Lucas throwing in bonus villians, and if I hadn't seen the Clone Wars cartoon, I probably wouldn't have been all that excited about Grievous.  I wish (just like Brian) that we could have seen Grievous take out some Jedi as well, so that we could see how lethal he was.  I really liked him in the film, but think he is much more ferocious in the cartoon. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 09:11 PM »
Grevious was probably Lucas' attempt to create a new Boba Fett. Didn't work IMO. But I did like the cough. It would have worked better if he was a total SOB like he should have been.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 12:36 AM »
I liked Grievous myself, but for no other reason than he did look neat/sound neat.  He has nice backstory to him, but in the end he was pointless to the plot.  I wound up liking Durge too as a little side character...  To me, the Fett's aren't a lot different (aside from their tie to cloning)...  Side villains that are fun to watch die.

Dooku and Maul, not a lot different either aside from them both being Sith.  They were still just pawns in the grand scheme.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2005, 05:10 PM »
I read in the newest "Rolling Stone" that the Grievous cough is actually that of none other than George Lucas himself.  Trivial Pursuit, here I come!   ;)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2005, 05:31 PM »
He has nice backstory to him, but in the end he was pointless to the plot.

Gotta disagree with you on this one Jesse. 

Grievous was necessary to the plot to get Obi-Wan away from Couruscant so Palpatine could work Anakin over and turn him into Darth Vader.  It couldn't have been Dooku because Anakin had to kill Dooku/Tyranus, to parallel the Emperor wanting Luke to kill Vader in ROTJ to replace him.

Sure Grievous came off as some sort of disposable character (which he was really) but he was definitely necessary to the plot.  I don't see how ROTS could've ended the way it did without him.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2005, 05:38 PM »
True, but any # of reasons for Obi-Wan leaving could've been concocted as well, and made sense...  He could've gone to Utapau after the Separatist leaders even, no Grievous necessary, had it been known they were there, and they simply escaped to Mustafar...  That would tie in with why Palpatine wanted Anakin appointed to that job as well...

I like Grievous myself...  I just think he wasn't a necessity, but he worked well for what he was.  He was cooler in the cartoons than in the film though, as far as "wow" factor would go.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2005, 05:53 PM »
I believe there's a cut scene of Grievous executing Shaak Ti on the Invisible Hand.  This scene at a minimum should have been left in to at least show Grievous doing something other than lose a fight.  He's supposed to be this lethal jedi killer and all we did is see him run away from the first fight, then lose the second.  That doesn't look too ferocious from where I'm standing.  Hell, Lucas could have put me in, and I could have run like a girl from the first fight and lost a second.

:D
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2005, 02:59 AM »
I've heard the Shaak Ti scene as well...  I think it would've made Grievous a more pivotal enemy...  A threat at least.  The film kinda made him out to be a pansy, and without the toon he really wouldn't be cool to me otherwise.

He did whip up on Obi-Wan for a while though...  That's something I guess.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2005, 09:26 AM »
He was used for eye candy and nothing more really.  His screen time was just enough for me.  Yes, it would have been good to see him mow a few Jedi down.  However, when he whips out the 4 lightsabers and twirls him around it's pretty obvious the dude had wasted some Jedi before him. 

I was ok with him.  I could figure out he was just there for eye candy and not much more.  I was not disappointed with him.  When I first heard about him I thought he was going to look really bad as a CGI character.  I was pleasantly surprised he came off looking pretty good. 

I must be the only one that actually liked his cough.  I saw it as a foreshadowing to Vader's breathing. 

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2005, 04:17 PM »
I believe there's a cut scene of Grievous executing Shaak Ti on the Invisible Hand.  This scene at a minimum should have been left in to at least show Grievous doing something other than lose a fight.  He's supposed to be this lethal jedi killer and all we did is see him run away from the first fight, then lose the second.  That doesn't look too ferocious from where I'm standing.  Hell, Lucas could have put me in, and I could have run like a girl from the first fight and lost a second.

Ha!  LOL!  Good points.  I too enjoyed Grievous a bit more in the cartoons, but he was still a cool character, and, as Darth Broem said, seeing the four lightsabers, and the amount of time that it took Obi-Wan to dispatch Grievous certainly helped to legitimize him in my book. 

Which brings up a good point of discussion:
General Grievous-Force wielding Sith guy, or bad a$$ droid who is very fast and lethal, but has no knowledge of the Force?

I'm going with choice # 2.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 04:18 PM by Jedidz23 »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2005, 05:30 PM »

Yeah, that would have made a huge difference.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."