Author Topic: New JD.com Review: Dannik Jerriko  (Read 2128 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
New JD.com Review: Dannik Jerriko
« on: May 9, 2005, 02:25 AM »
Arnold would've called him one ugly son of a bitch...  Let's face it, Dannik Jerrko (Cantina Encounter) is not winning any beauty contests!

However, and as boring as he may be to some, this guy was one of my all-time favorites from the Cantina.  Maybe it was because he WAS close to human looking (and humans from the Cantina are rare, unless they're main characters), or perhaps it was because of his very nonschelant look towards Obi Wan's demonstration of power with a big ole flashlight?  I don't know, but this guy always just looked neat to me.

I dig Dannik overall...  You'll find my review was pretty up on this figure, and really I liked the Cantina wave from Stem to Stern.  I think that this wave of figures is Hasbro demonstrating that they can "up the anty" in this line.  It's even been improved upon by many figures in the ROTS line now, as many feature ball/socket shoulders while the Cantina dudes do not.

Dannik Jerriko suffers from either the end result of some seriously bad acne, or a Hasbro flub in judgment...  OK, there is no "or" here, it was simply that Hasbro made a mistake when they decided to put the probe things on his face, and  use 2 gaping holes to attach the probes to.  They're EU, they're ugly, they add little to the figure...  I think Hasbro maybe had their heart in the right place though, so I tried to be lenient.  I still like the figure myself, but I'll like a lot when I can fix a head cast up so those holes are GONE.   :-\

Anyway, without further rambling, Click Right Here and read the full review.  As always, share your thoughts with us on this figure.  I think Dannik was one of the more "controversial" figures to trickle forth from the OTC line, so any opinion is welcome.  I know many were more down on him than I was, and I can't blame anyone one bit for that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: New JD.com Review: Dannik Jerriko
« Reply #1 on: May 9, 2005, 11:08 AM »
As always, a very good review.

I don't know anyone who was happy to see that the figure had three huge holes in his face. From the figure you'd think he was shot up by the mob or something. Terrible, terrible move on Hasbro's part.

I liked that Hasbro recognized EU and tried to add an EU touch to this guy, but they really messed this up. Why didn't they use magnets, instead of pegs? Would that have worked? If not - then they should have simply left it alone.

Great sculpt, great articulation, awesome bong... So great and then literally shot (three times!).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: New JD.com Review: Dannik Jerriko
« Reply #2 on: May 9, 2005, 04:17 PM »
Yeah, I tried to give credit to where Hasbro earned it, and to also point out that they took what could've easily been my favorite of the Cantina wave (based on the overall headsculpt, sans holes), and tanked it with the 3 dots.

He got worst of the wave in my eyes, and being that he was my favorite character fromt he Cantina to be made, that kinda shows how that stung to me.

He's good in every way except his gaping pock marks in his face that Hasbro did.  I think their hearts were in the right place, but their minds were drifting.  You can't take an EU thing and sacrifice the sculpt of a movie character for it.  That's just not koscher.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77