Author Topic: Enjoy The Next Few Days  (Read 13690 times)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Re: Enjoy The Next Few Days
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2005, 12:45 PM »
A lot of good memories, very similar to my own in this thread.  Rather than add mine and echo the childhoods I see many people shared with me, I'd like to add one thing to this thread that I think it needs:

Everyone is talking about Weds night/Thursday like it's "The End".  Like it will be the culmination, and then everything will be "complete".  IMHO folks, it's not the end.  It's just the beginning of the next chapter.

I saw ROTS last week, and yet, I'm more excited about seeing it again on Wednesday night with all my friends than I was when I was walking into that screening.  I imagine that that excitement will reset itself for the first time I see it in digital (which won't be until Friday).  Then the DVD release, etc, etc.

Yeah..last week was the last time I'll ever see a Star Wars movie for the first time in the theater, and yeah...the movie truly is something special, but it hardly feels like that was the end. 

If anything, it got me even MORE pumped up about Star Wars.    I don't think seeing ROTS was the culmination of anything. I think of it as more fuel for the fire that is my fandom.

Got Clones?

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2005, 02:41 AM »
ya know I was trying to think of a rebuttal to Josh about some of us thinking it's the end and all. but I can't. logically, it isn't the end, not with 2 new tv shows on the horizon, countless books, comics, games, toys, dvds, etc being made available.

yet it does feel like the end.

i think perhaps, the end doesn't symbolize star wars as a whole, but the thrill and experience of seeing a new Star Wars film for the first time. I can't remember the first time I saw any of the OT, they were always there. I remember seeing TPM and AOTC for the first time and being excited yet also disappointed. but this seems almost like a totally different kind of excitement that I can't express in words. i just can't shake the feeling that the journey will be complete come 2+ hours after the lights dim.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2005, 02:45 AM »
Thanks to Thomas Hodges, Chris and I were able to bring a slew of the first spoiler images of Episode III last spring.

As I recall, those were posted without Hodges permission and he was quite pissed about that. ::)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 02:45 AM by Commander Cody »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2005, 01:52 PM »
Thanks to Thomas Hodges, Chris and I were able to bring a slew of the first spoiler images of Episode III last spring.

As I recall, those were posted without Hodges permission and he was quite pissed about that. ::)
Correct, he probably shouldn't have been posting them in a non-secure Chatroom on a Pinkyswear "Hey! Look how awesome I am" arrangement

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2005, 01:56 PM »
Can you believe that ROTS will be here in 36 hours?  (for some people anyway, I won't be seeing it until Saturday, but that's neither here nor there.)

When you've been looking forward to something for so long, it almost seems surreal when it's finally here...  Mind-numbing, it is.  

I must say, Josh, that it is really encouraging that seeing ROTS for you didn't feel like "the end", but rather just another chapter in our Star Wars lives.  I'm sure I will walk out of the movie with mixed feelings: joy that I've finally seen the big finale, and sorrow that it's done.  No more Star Wars.  

Of course, we know there are SW shows to come, but I don't think that TV can EVER compare to the excitement of a movie.

As cheesy and clicheed as it sounds, Star Wars has been such an important part of my life.  Why?  I don't even know if I can answer why.  I've been playing with the toys since I was about 4 years old, sometime just after ESB.

When you've been involved in anything for 25 years, it's bound to tug at the heartstrings when it feels like the end is coming... :'(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2005, 02:38 PM »
Kind of along the same topic, but do any of you have any idea how many times you will be seeing this movie in the theatre?  With movie prices always rising, repeat viewings probably become a little less likely....and it also depends on what you think of the movie after seeing it the first time.  For TPM, I think I saw it 3 times, for AOTC...4 times.  Assuming that ROTS is as cool as it seems, I would hope to go at least that many times this time around, but I guess it all depends.  The wife and I are going Thursday afternoon, and I have Friday off as well, and thought about going back again but we'll see.  Otherwise, I'd like to catch it a couple more times before some of the other summer "blockbusters" (like Batman Begins) start hitting the theatres.  Lots of movies I wouldn't mind seeing this summer :).  ROTS is almost here! :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2005, 03:55 PM »
I expect I'll see it about the same number of times as I saw TPM and AOTC - twice. 

I'm going on Wednesday night with a couple of buddies from snowtroopers.ca for the midnight +1 showing.  I'll go the following week probably with my wife so she can see it.  I may go again one more time, but there are a number of other movies I'd like to see in theaters - Batman, FF and anything else that looks cooler on a really big screen. 

Two or three is sufficient for me usually.  It will be more so this year because we expect to have a new house in the fall/early winter.  I've been selling off old toys (as in true vintage stuff from my childhood) and pocketing more than half to get a large screen TV.  60" LCD's are pretty close to my price range now, so by fall or post-Christmas I should be pretty well set to go ahead and get one.  I already have a spectacular Boston Acoustics Series 8000 set of speakers.  My receiver could use upgrading but otherwise it's going to be pretty nice.  I may still opt for a projector setup instead of a solid unit, but time will tell. [/aside]

I have a confession to make: I never saw ESB in theaters until 1997 :o  Unlike the senior member here, I was way more into sports, beer and girls in 1980.  I actually opted out of going with some friends because I had a date instead 8)  I loved the first movie and went 7-8 times back in 1977 when I was 13.  But by age 16 it was a non-issue for me.  I did see ROTJ in 1983 in theaters (had seen ESB on video by then) and ironically it was at the same theater that I'm going to see ROTS at on Wednesday.  Incidentally, I was also on a date for ROTJ, her name was Donna and she had red hair :P  I liked her a lot. :)

Seemingly unlike a lot of you I never really owned a lot of the toys.  I don't have any really good memories of owning or even looking at Star Wars toys prior to 1995 and even then it started as a joke.  Guess I've made up for lost time. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2005, 04:34 PM »
I'm hoping to go at least 3 times, once on Thursday afternoon, once with my wife and once with the MN crew to the Digital Screen here in town

TPM I saw at least 10 times in the theater, 8 of those were because my wife was in grad school twice a week and we had no kids and we lived 3 blocks from the $2 theater ;)

Clones I saw I believe 3 times, once by myself, once with my wife and brother and sister-in-law and once with my buddy who I'm going with on Thursday

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2005, 05:25 PM »
I must say, Josh, that it is really encouraging that seeing ROTS for you didn't feel like "the end", but rather just another chapter in our Star Wars lives.  I'm sure I will walk out of the movie with mixed feelings: joy that I've finally seen the big finale, and sorrow that it's done.  No more Star Wars. 

In the interest of full disclosure, two things detracted from the "full experience".

1. The audience I saw it with could have been dead for all I knew. They hardly uttered a sound, or laughed and definitely didn't cheer. I was convinced at one point that they hated Star Wars, and were all dragged there because they lost a bet.  So in a way, seeing it with a "real" crowd is what I'm looking forward to the most about tomorrow night.

2. I was ripped from the movie (and the ending is what REALLY hits it home for you) because I was also working at the event and had to get back to that. I didn't stay for the credits to really let the movie sink in.  So that may have further skewed my take on things.

Kind of along the same topic, but do any of you have any idea how many times you will be seeing this movie in the theatre?

Tomorrow at midnight will be twice. Thursday afternoon I'm seeing it with co-workers, and Friday I'm seeing it for the first time with digital projection.  So....4 times as of Friday. I imagine there will be more.   I saw AOTC 7 or 8 times in the theater and I didn't even like it that much. This one I really loved.  ;D

Got Clones?

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2005, 06:21 PM »

TPM I saw at least 10 times in the theater, 8 of those were because my wife was in grad school twice a week and we had no kids and we lived 3 blocks from the $2 theater ;)

Not even for a dollar would I sit thought that POS movie!! Only if they forward it to all the Darl Mauls scenes!!!
But this one, I am so geeking to see!!! I think Lucas has finally done right!!!!
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2005, 12:07 AM »
Well everybody..I won't be logging on tomorrow, because I'll be watching TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, and ROTJ, so I'll say thanks for all the laughs and fun, now.

Good night guys...enjoy the movie. :)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2005, 12:43 AM »

"This will be a day long remembered."   :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2005, 12:59 AM »
Hell yeah.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2005, 08:15 AM »
I think I ended up seeing TPM almost 10 times in the theatre.  That was back when I had a new job and was single.  Yes, I actually liked the movie (shocking I know!). 

By the time AOTC came out I had a steady girlfriend and figured I better start saving up for an engagement ring.  I only saw it 4 times in the theatre.  Those times were all spread out over several months.

This time I am moving to another state, got a newborn, a wife, and mortgage.  However, I will probably end up seeing it about 5 times in a theatre I foresee.    I better make an effort to get out there and see it a few times since it's the last SW movie.  Plus, I will just want to anyway :) 

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2005, 09:52 AM »
Counting down... 0 days 14 hours 2 minutes and 8 seconds as of this post

This is just like Christmas Eve, counting down and looking forward to a booty of Star Wars toys.  Now I'm waiting just like a little kid for this movie to get here!