Author Topic: Jedi After Episode 3?  (Read 8297 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Jedi After Episode 3?
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2005, 05:14 PM »
Hey! we can't mention that word on here. My grandfather was one and he did'nt
have a choice and was killed because of it-so I'm not proud of it and don't wanna see it mentioned-(see the dafoo incident)

----------

Just an FYI Slothus,

"Nazi" is a word we take on a case-by-case issue.

If someone is using it to describe the Nazi party/regime in Germany (as Jesse has in his post) as a historical reference AND it's in good taste, that is OK.

If someone uses it as a deragotory term (ie, something like "Figure Nazi") or uses it to defame someone (ie, "don't be such a Nazi"), it WILL be edited or removed if it is brought to the staff's attention.

And that's all we have to say on that issue.

Jeff

Yeah, and just so there's no confusion, I had mentioned to Jon before that that word isn't allowed here.  But I should've specified in such a manner like Jeff just did.  There's the occasional analogies that use Nazis in a historical reference type of context that are generally OK.  I know there's been a number of comparisons between the Nazi army and the Empire in the OT, with uniforms/ranks and whatnot.  That type of usage is fine, and I should've mentioned that before.  That just doesn't pop up too often here, whereas the more deragotory use of the term does (even in a joking manner) sometimes does, so that's what I was actually addressing a couple weeks ago when we discussed that.  Sorry for the confusion...

Now back to the topic at hand please!  ;)

- M
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 05:15 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2005, 03:51 PM »
One of the Visual Dictionaries mentions that the traditional Jedi robes are similar to those worn by common people across the galaxy. On Tatooine, look no further than Uncle Owen's robes.

But such modest attire is unusual on Coruscant (home of military uniforms, ludicrous senatorial getups, etc.), and I imagine this is why during the prequel era they tended to stand out in the crowd. Not to mention with Jedi frequently out and about and seen on news broadcasts, folks like the waitress droid would be more likely to recognize Jedi robes.

While it seems most Jedi favor some variation on the bathrobes, the colors and styles vary, and some even opt for flightsuits or Aayla-type catsuits.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 03:53 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2005, 08:10 PM »
I thought I recalled reading that in one VD too Valin... Cool.

I think even on Coruscant, among the "common folk" you'd see a lot of Jedi-Esque outfits too.  Though you could also see the pants and shirt deal too like Han since that's not the most elaborate set of duds either...  I'd expect pretty vast and varied styles of dress.  The Jedi outfit looks like something a poor man may wear though and it seems the galaxy's teeming with poor... 

Though look at Ani/Padme in their disguises to leave Coruscant...  Refugees in some interesting garb there.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2005, 04:38 PM »
....Or Luke's badass tight fitting black(sithlike) suit with cape/hood.... ::)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2005, 08:52 PM »
From the Episode I Visual Dictionary, page 15:

"Jedi robes are virtually indistinguishable from the simple robes worn by many species throughout the galaxy. This signifies the Jedi pledge to the service and protection of even the most humble galactic citizen."
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)