Author Topic: What Hasbro really wants to do...  (Read 6781 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: What Hasbro really wants to do...
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2005, 05:54 PM »
The problem with the AT-TE (and any other prequel vehicle) is the practicallity after ROTS is absent from the retail shelves and theaters.  It's not one of those vehicles that Hasbro can re-release year after year like the TIE Fighter, Falcon, X-Wing, etc.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2005, 06:00 PM »
The impression I got from the guys from Hasbro (and they were more cagier than before) was that things like the AT-TE would never happen unless someone like TRU went to bat on it.   I don't know.  They did seem to indicate a willingness, but of course they 'want' to do everything.  I asked about more figures this year past 56 ('yup') and Padme's ('wait and see' = 'yup') and Evolutions Obi Wan (see Padme).

I actually got more from the lady running the Hasbro toy shop thing.  I was surprised they were going so gung ho with it after being so resistant for so long.  She made it sound like the wave of the future.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 06:42 PM »
That's fine, just make the AT-TE a Hasbro site exclusive.  Do it this way - come up with a confirmed price, make people pre-order it and price the sucker around $100-$150.  If they don't get enough preorders, cancel it and don't charge anyone for it.  Done, and done.

I love the idea of future evolution sets... provided they do a good job on them... how about these two sets!

Moisture Farmer - AOTC Cliegg Lars, ROTS Owen Lars, ANH Owen Lars

Tatooine Chick - AOTC Shmi, ROTS Beru Lars, ANH Beru Lars

I realize those two ideas may bomb at retail, so just make them online exclusives too.  I'd get 2 of each to open so I could have a nice set, and some cool custom fodder.

:P
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 06:42 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 07:10 PM »
Moisture Farmer - AOTC Cliegg Lars, ROTS Owen Lars, ANH Owen Lars

Tatooine Chick - AOTC Shmi, ROTS Beru Lars, ANH Beru Lars

I realize those two ideas may bomb at retail, so just make them online exclusives too.  I'd get 2 of each to open so I could have a nice set, and some cool custom fodder.

Yep, those are guaranteed pegwarmers. Might as well slap "Clearance" stickers on 'em before they leave the factory. :P

That said, I'd be on board for both sets. I missed the previous versions of Shmi, Old Owen, and Old Beru, and there have never been figures of the other three.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2005, 08:54 PM »
These are the rules of how things work according to Hasbro:

1.  Collectors are always wrong and don't understand how a business works

2.  Retailers are always wrong.  If we ship too much of something due to our ass-backwards case assortments, it is retail's fault for overordering.  If we ship too little of something, it is retail's fault for not ordering enough.

3.  Nothing is ever Hasbro's fault.

4.  Any Clone or Stormtrooper figures should ideally be packed at one per case in the final assortment of a given line so that it will be monumentally difficult to locate one at a decent price*.

5.  When all else fails, blame the collectors.  Only do this in the wake of a movie year when you will ideally have more income from children and casual buyers.  All other years, do your best to placate them by releasing random Cantina alien number 27 amongst outdated resculpts to give the illusion you are listening to them.

6.  If this is your first time at fight club, you have to fight.

7.  Instead of concentrating on lines that have proven success like the 4" line, be sure to develop endless secondary lines that will clog aisles for the next year taking space away from things that would actually sell well. 

8.  All initial waves of deluxe figures should include toys that are total crap.  Second waves, which will naturally be difficult to find given the glut of the first wave (which remember is always retail's fault for overordering), will have much cooler figures that people actually want, but if we have learned anything over the years from doing this line** it's that as long as we claim to have shipped them in decent numbers, retail can bear the brunt of the blame for not stocking them.

*SEE ALSO:  Darktrooper and Spacetrooper (1998 EU), Stormtrooper (CommTech 1999), Clone Trooper (POTJ 2002), Clone Trooper (Clone Wars 2003), Sandtrooper (OTC 2005), Target exclusive Clone Trooper (2005), Stormtrooper (VOTC 2004), Stormtrooper (Unleashed 2005)

**in actuality, they've learned very little.  Do a Google groups search for some of their highlights in case packing ratios and look how far they've come in the ten years since POTF2 started.   ::)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2005, 09:43 PM »
Good post there Doctor Padawan.  Everything you said is true, and it makes me want to find some Hasbro execs and break their face right after I kick them in the sack.

:P

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2005, 09:05 AM »

6. If this is your first time at fight club, you have to fight.

LOL!

Bring it on!