Author Topic: RotS Product Leaks: Already?  (Read 30705 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: RotS Product Leaks: Already?
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2005, 08:13 PM »
K-Mart would be wise to sell early...

After this, it's Hasbro's line to sell, not the other way around, so retail has no real fear of reprisal on a line that is not going to have a huge backing after this film.  Sell early, beat the rush.

At $8 a figure after tax, which is absolutely a rediculous price, I walked away from all but one figure at K-Mart, and that one I even have a stinging feeling from purchasing.  I mean, there's half a tank of gas or so.  At that price, KM will be left in the dust of all their competition if they DON'T cash in on an "early leak", intentional or otherwise.  Especially with TRU and Target having a promotion on 4/2 and WM dropping to almost the old MSRP.

KM's pulling stuff is only going to shoot themselves in the foot.  At the prices I saw though it serves them right.  As nice as those Royal Guards looked, I had to walk away and just wait for something reasonably priced.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Nearly every K-Mart I have been in for the last two years looks like it's on the verge of closing down.  Their selection in general is horrible, their former marketing dream (Martha) turned into a nightmare, and their prices are, on average, 2 or 3 percent higher than the other retailers.  And that's in the regular stock areas. 

The toy sections are rarely stocked and when they are, it is of peripheral items and then in such large numbers that it takes up shelf space from the "quicker" selling items.  A K-Mart I went into today (I was hoping to find the new Unleashed) has gotten at most three cases of figures since this time last year: one case of the Yavin wave, one case of the OTC with Kenobi, Tusken, and Jawas, and one case of the repack wave from last year (Jedi Luke, TR Vader, Snowtrooper, SC Anakin, POC Fett on Saga cards).  They hang around for months on end, still at full price, and they are never clearanced.  No wonder the chain is hurting financially. 

K-Mart would actually make more money by selling the stuff early since, come April 2nd, nobody is going to be paying 7 bucks for figures from them anyway.  If LFL comes down hard and says "No more ROTS figures for you this year", I don't think it would make much of a difference because even a three year old knows that 7 bucks for an Anakin is a bit different than 5 and a quarter across the street at Wal-Mart.

And for the millionth time, I'd like to just say that I find the idea of a release date being applied to toys as totally ridiculous.  I mean, there are times when they're released too far in advance (the X-Men, Spider-Man, and Hulk movie toys being released six or more months ahead of time being a case of this), but saying you can't sell TOYS until a particular date is even more asinine than the way Hasbro treats their stuff as if it is a state secret.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Which ROTS figures have been found so far?
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2005, 10:13 PM »
If this Red/Blue Guard thing is going to turn into a fiasco, like the ARC Troops were...I will be sad. In fact, I'm gonna fart on one and leave it on the pges if thats the case. >:(

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Episode 3 Score
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2005, 11:50 PM »
My buddy, John Morton, just scored the following at our local Wal-Mart...

#13 Count Dooku
#14 Chancellor Palpatine
#15 Bail Organa
#16 Plo Koon
#17 Battle Droid
#18 C-3PO
#19 Padme'
#20 Agen Kolar
#21 Shaak Ti
#22 Kit Fisto
#23 Royal Guard
#24 Mon Motha
#25 Tarfful
#26 Yoda

All of the cards are bent up, they weren't boxed too well, it would seem. They rang up to $5 and change - the total was around $80. Not bad at all.

One thing I noticed is that the Royal Guard is blue on the card, but the figure is red - is this a variant or something?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 11:53 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 3 Score
« Reply #169 on: March 13, 2005, 11:52 PM »
Scored tonight myself.  Got these:

1 x # 05/01  Obi-Wan Kenobi - Slashing Attack
1 x # 05/02  Anakin Skywalker - Lightsaber Attack
1 x # 05/04  Super Battle Droid - Firing Arm Blaster!
1 x # 05/05  Chewbacca - Wookiee Rage
1 x # 05/07  R2-D2 - Droid Attack
1 x # 05/11  Darth Vader - Lightsaber Attack
2 x # 05/25  Tarfful - Firing Bowcaster
2 x # 05/26  Yoda - Spinning Attack
1 x # 05/27  Obi-Wan Kenobi - Jedi Kick!
1 x # 05/28  Anakin Skywalker - Slashing Attack
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Episode 3 Score
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2005, 12:37 AM »
One thing I noticed is that the Royal Guard is blue on the card, but the figure is red - is this a variant or something?

Brad, yeah...  It seems like a running change of blue and red guards, the helmets obviously being different too, but basically the same otherwise (no forcepikes, bummer :( ).  The figure rocks all get out...  I got a look at an opened one at the local meeting we had here on Saturday, and wow.  Nice articulation, holster for the sidearm, rifle...  Love the robe too.

Hard to say if one or the other is "rare" yet, but I'm wagering neither will be...  I'll be replacing (customizing) some E1/E2 versions and then also replacing my royal guards I have for the Emperor as well on my classic Imperial shelf.  May just go all out and nab extras for Carnor Jax and things as well.  Great figure!  Easily one of the best of the new line I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2005, 01:09 AM »
I think I'll go ahead and open him up - he looks so tasty, so did a few others, but I've wanted a good cloth super-articulated Guard for a while.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2005, 01:33 AM »
The Red Royal Guard rocks...

Hey Brad, I'm sending you a PM.  You've been a little hard to get a hold of lately.   ;)

:P

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2005, 07:30 AM »
To everyone else that is finding the new Star Wars figures but me,

Buy the figures where you find them, even if they are more expensive. Hang onto the receipt, and when you find it after official release cheaper return the more expensive pieces.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2005, 11:03 AM »
They leaked at my Wal*Mart, and a clerk swiped Grevious Guard and the Clone from both boxs. So I snagged a Red Guard.

Bastich!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
Re: Which ROTS figures have been found so far?
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2005, 12:47 PM »
Here's what I have so far peeps. Thought you might want a better look

« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 12:49 PM by Infamy Of Crete »

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2005, 04:33 PM »
Well - I almost found them this morning. I did see the force battler turds but didn't get them because I'm not getting that line.

I heard the guy in the automotive section complaining that before the store opened the entire aisle was CLOGGED with toys so the crotchety jerk made the overnight crew put stuff back into the back room. I can only imagine that since I found one pallet with the Force Battlers that the other pallets were EPIII stuff.

I'm going back there late tonight and early tomorrow morning to see if by some miracle those pallets come back out...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2005, 05:06 PM »
So, we've seen lots and lots of reports of stuff leaking out early:

basic figures (C1 and C2)
deluxe figures
unleashed
jedi force
force battlers
lightsabers
LEGO
Assault Vehicles

but no one is finding the Battle Arena 2-packs, the small vehicles (Boga, AT-RT, BARC), or the ARC-170 yet?  I wonder why those haven't started turning up en masse yet?

Maybe they haven't hit the back room yet, or maybe they won't be around for the April 2nd madness?   :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Firebat

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Finally! Found ROTS figs!
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2005, 05:22 PM »
Earlier today I hit Wal-mart where I spotted the Force Battlers. Not bad, but seeing them really made me wish they put out the 3.75" stuff. I decided to hit K-mart  just in case.  As I approached the toy aisle, I saw a cart full of E3 cases!!!!! I waited around until a few employees put them on the shelves and I grabbed Plo Koon, Agen Kolar, Senate Guard, and Kit Fisto. I hung around waiting for more figs to be put out. As I was killing time looking at Justice League figs, I hear one of the employees say: "Hey, some of these boxes say April 2nd on them." Then he started grabbing all the SW items and reboxing them. I  immediately made a b-line for the reg with my four figs in hand. As the cashier rang them up a loud beeping noise came from the reg and she called the manager over. There was a big fiasco and some very confused retail employees, but in the end they just dummy sku'd the figs. I got 'em!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Finally! Found ROTS figs!
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2005, 05:26 PM »
Good for you in getting them.  Seems like everyone else who had that happen at Kmart had to walk away empty handed.

Now........open them!!!   :)

:P