Author Topic: Hasbro Direct Sales Website  (Read 24244 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Hasbro Direct Sales Website
« on: April 20, 2005, 03:21 PM »
I just got this from the GI Joe Collector Club....what could this mean for Star Wars as well?  Anybody think this will give us all a chance to get stuff directly or will it be like StarWarsShop.com and be the same pegwarmers we see at WM and Target.........

Here is the press release:

PAWTUCKET, R.I., April 20, 2005 – Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) is launching a direct to consumer website that will provide online shoppers with the convenience of purchasing toys and games at home, while also providing up-to-date information about the broad portfolio of Hasbro brands.

HasbroToyShop.com, which is scheduled to go live in May, will initially focus on a select number of Hasbro brands, including MY LITTLE PONY, WEEBLES, VIDEONOW and a variety of family games from Milton Bradley and Parker Brothers.

In addition, the G.I. JOE 3 3/4” scale makes its return with a variety of new figures and vehicles and will be available on HasbroToyShop.com, along with select online retailers.    Attendees at the annual International G.I. Joe Collector’s Convention, taking place in Minneapolis from June 24 –26, will be given the first opportunity to order this G.I. Joe product at the Convention only.

Following the Convention, new G.I. JOE product will be available to order on HasbroToyShop.com beginning July 1, with select online retailers having the product offerings available for order shortly after July 1.  For more information about product availability, pricing and shipping, consumers can visit HasbroToyShop.com once the site goes live next month.

Hasbro (NYSE:HAS) is a worldwide leader in children's and family leisure time entertainment products and services, including the design, manufacture and marketing of games and toys ranging from traditional to high-tech.  Both internationally and in the U.S., its PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, TIGER, and WIZARDS OF THE COAST brands and products provide the highest quality and most recognizable play experiences in the world.

Thoughts?

Offline dockingbay97

• Youngling
  • I'm a camel!
    • View Profile
    • my cheesy website
Re: Hasbro to Offer Direct Sales?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 08:39 PM »
Here is the entire MC posting from their front page

http://www.mastercollector.com/HasbroDTCpics.html

I don't see it have any effect on SW.  It seems to be a way to calm Joe fans down after the news of the 3 3/4 line going on hiatus.  It is way to keep the collectors happy and still have the Sig 6 line in stores for the kids.

If the Joes sell well and they should, maybe they will branch it out to other action figure lines.

I for one would like to see some Zoids offered this way as it has been on hiatus here in that States for awhile.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 08:27 AM »
Well it would be nice for SW fans.  However, I hope they would not jack up the prices to much. 

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 12:26 AM »
Man, I just might become a GI Joe mint-on-card collector. That card for Scrap-Iron is awesome. Unfortunately, the figure isn't.

I do like seeing the comic packs continue. Those are the best idea for GI Joe since RAHC.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline dockingbay97

• Youngling
  • I'm a camel!
    • View Profile
    • my cheesy website
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 10:26 AM »
Man, I just might become a GI Joe mint-on-card collector. That card for Scrap-Iron is awesome. Unfortunately, the figure isn't.

That style of cardback is heaven sent.  A lot of Joe collectors are extremely excited over this news.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 01:50 PM »
I doubt they'll do anything like this for Star Wars this year.

Maybe in a year or so when all the movie hype has died down and stores don't show as much interest as they are now.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline dockingbay97

• Youngling
  • I'm a camel!
    • View Profile
    • my cheesy website
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 06:42 PM »
I doubt they'll do anything like this for Star Wars this year.

Maybe in a year or so when all the movie hype has died down and stores don't show as much interest as they are now.

That would be a logical move.  GI Joe as a brand has died in stores in the sense only collectors want it.  This way via the web Hasbro can directly target those collectors while they concentrate on the kids with Sigma 6 in stores.

Once it is proven  that there will be no more vehicles to get SW out to the masses either by movies or TV and the SW purchases slow in the stores, this may be the way to still get stuff to the diehard collectors.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 12:36 AM »
A Hasbro Direct sales store for SW is DEFINATELY coming...

details soon.

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 10:35 PM »
Jeff,

Was there something in the cryptic non-answers they were giving at the Q&A that I missed????
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2005, 10:52 PM »
It wasn't at the Q&A Matt, it was at the Hasbro booth itself, big ass poster around the corner.  I'll not steal the staff's thunder other than to say the store is absolutely planned to go ahead and it will probably be as poorly thought out as anything else they've done. 

I think Jeff's being cryptic because they've been working pretty hard on writing up those details while in Indy and want to have it as news more than in the forum. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Regardless if they sell Star Wars figures, this will be a great experiment and one well worth watching.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 12:55 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 07:24 PM »
What few collectors realize is that you can call the Hasbro Consumer Affairs Department and request an order form to see what stock Hasbro has available through their 1-800 line.  I haven't tried in a while, but you can order figures directly through Hasbro without having an account through them.  I can post images of an example of a Star Wars order form if someone wishes to see it.  The prices are generally more expensive, but it could save a collector money instead of going to Ebay to purchase a figure.

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
Lead Editor
BLACK S. U. N.

SilverZ

« Reply #12 on: May 2, 2005, 04:31 PM »
Doors are open at hasbrotoyshop.com. It's already as slow as hell, and I fully expect the site to be offline in an hour or so.  ::)

Clone Trooper #41
"Usually ships in 12-14 days"

The others from the wave say they'll ship in 24 hours, so it looks like their inventory lasted all of 2 hours.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2005, 04:50 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: May 2, 2005, 04:55 PM »
I saw the latest Deluxe Figures there too, but they are not in stock yet.  What a slow bugger that thing is (AKA What Else Is New????) :P

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 2, 2005, 04:55 PM »
Yeah, I'm just curious to see how long they will be able to meet the demand for some of these hard to find army builders and such. Plus, if they don't impose any kind of limits, what's to stop people from buying up all the hard to find clones and such and then just turn around and pop them up on ebay?