Author Topic: Does Army Building make me a bad person?  (Read 13634 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Does Army Building make me a bad person?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 03:54 PM »
I'm not one that really army builds much either, with my biggest armies probably being 10 or less (6-7 Commtech Stormtroopers and 5-6 #6 Clones are probably my biggest right now)...but I don't think you are a bad person at all.  I realize some people really enjoy the army building aspect, and sometimes even focus just on that, and if you want/can afford/have the space for large armies....more power to you.  Plus, I know that you (and others on here who do army build) would be the type that if you were buying say...for example....20 Clone Commanders, and ran into or talked to a collector who was looking for just one and couldn't find it anywhere, you would help them out.  Otherwise, if you want it and find it, you should buy it.  The only problem I have is the stories you hear about some people (usually scalper stories actually) where a person (or even a child) is looking for just 1 of a certain figure, and the person who is buying 10, 20 or more won't give them the one for their collection.  Otherwise, build away! :)  I wish I had the money and space to do a little more of that sometimes.

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 04:37 PM »
It's a lot easier and saves gas to buy them when you see them.  Much easier to buy 10 at once then to buy only 1 or 2 or 3 at each store because you're afraid you might offend someone. 

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 05:44 PM »
When I was buying the #6 Clones the first week figs got released, I bought 10 from Walmart (same WM, same time).  Granted there were over 40 of these things and I live in a real rural area. Plus it was about a week after the first waves got released.  Someone made a comment to me about making money on ebay.  I bent all my cards and told him I wouldnt be making much money on damaged cards.  Plus I told him I wouldnt get much of a return after opening them.  He looked puzzled.  He had no idea of the army building concept. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2005, 08:04 PM »
If I called you a bad person for army building, then I'd be a pot calling the Kettle black. My sentimate is the same as everbody elses, as long as you don't out right haard them, there's nothing wrong with it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 09:17 PM »
I would generally say no, it's not bad.  But it's probably more considerate if you build your armies in moderation somewhat, otherwise some might tag you with the ol' "hoarder" moniker, and a lot of people consider that almost as bad as a scalper.  I personally don't, but I've seen many a fight over at RS over this issue...

I only army build with OT figures for the most part, but generally limit things to about 7-12 of any given army builder.  With the prequel figures, I may pick up a few extras here and there, but nothing more than 3 or 4 altogether.

My general practice would be to probably nab about 4 figures at onset, like when they're first released.  When they're brand new and red hot, I'll try to leave what I can behind, or maybe grab some of them for friends.  But I'll personally only take up to 4 at one store store for the first few weeks.  But if I see a bunch of them on the pegs at once, to the point where I can take a nice hanful but still leave many behind, then that's definitely fine.

But once a figure's been out for a good 4-8 weeks, especially if it's actually starting to pegwarm a little, then hell, clean 'em all out if you'd like.

I guess it's times like say, Midnight Madness, where one guy may grab all 10 Royal Guards and every single Clone Commander right in front of a bunch of other collectors who get nothing, that it really becomes a messed up problem.  At a figure release like that, I just grab my required 2, and wait 'til later to get some more if needbe.

The Target Clone I guess would be the prime example right now on potential "evil hoarding", since it's so HTF and many people have none, while others escaped from Target stores with entire cases.  Something like that I think is pretty messed up, personally.

Just try and keep an eye out to help your fellow local collectors or forum members with army builders if they may have missed out on them entirely.  Otherwise, knock yourself out, amass your armies, and enjoy...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 09:20 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005, 12:49 AM »
Under normal circumstances, I'm all for army building. But let me describe the local climate that I've been dealing with over the last several weeks in search of the AT-TE Gunner and the SA Clone...

Here, it is creating such a repulsive environment at retail that I can barely stomach being in stores watching the scene. I've never seen so many people running and shoving their way towards the SW section. A lot of the problem is because of the Clone availability. Locally, people are so outright greedy about their rampant Clone obsessions (or as others have accurately put, army hoarding), with the attitude that what is on the shelf is fair game, that there's a lot of people getting screwed over while some are just plain hoarding. The people I’ve run into in the aisles have been downright assholeriffic, and less than concerned about any other collector other than themselves. (This is LA, after all).

Right now, I don't feel there is enough supply of army builder figures out there to satisfy the collectors who are looking for one or two, much less them plus the guys that want say, more than 10. I credit you guys that build armies that don’t mind sparing a figure for others. It certainly doesn’t happen around here.

Offline Avenging Knight

• Jedi Initiate
  • Guardian of Truth and Justice..and stuff like that
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2005, 01:05 AM »
Personally I usually don't buy more than 2 of the same figure at a time if there are only 4 or 5 of them . There have been many occasions that I have grabbed all 4 or 5 figures just to keep them away from the Hot wheels guys or scalpers that are hanging around, then after they leave put them back. You can always tell who is a real collector by the fact that when they have multiples of a figure they will always part with 1 or 2 to help out a fellow collector. Its those @$#&!% scalpers that have loads of figures and just ignore everybody. So in conclusion, army building is not bad.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2005, 02:05 AM »
Of course not.  If a figure is in short supply and it's because it's a highly sought after army-builder, I blame Hasbro for still not unerstanding that troops sell - a lot - and failing to get appropriate amounts of product onto the shelves. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2005, 03:26 AM »
I agree with Rob...

You wanna blame someone, retail and Hasbro are right there...  Solid cases of Clones would sell.  3-packs of Clones would sell.  Clones sell.  Hasbro doesn't get the figures out there...  That's more the problem.  They shouldn't EVER offer a Clone as an exclusive.  To me, that was a bad move in and of itself.

The "Hoarder" title applies to people with other intents...  They want to trade to help themselves out (I don't necessarilly disagree with this), or the term as I more generally apply it is to people "investing".  Investor maybe is better than hoarder.  The guy who gets all the CLones he can thinking he'll make a buck down the road.  No different than a Scalper...

Army builders...  I know that's at least why SOME of the Clones are gone in my area, I can't fathom it isn't at least part of the reason I can't get a TE Gunner or Commander (Or #41 Clone, or Wookiee Warrior #2) in my area, but I also think scalpers/hoarders(investors) are in the mix there more.  And at least ARmy Builders are my collector buddies just with different styles...  The other guys are just jagoffs that are screwing the hobby over for personal gain.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2005, 05:11 AM »
The Target clone was a mistake straight up and down.  My Target got lots of them in today, but as I had to choose between #41-44 and the Target clone, I chose basic figure joy.  Not that Hasbro cares, because those $13 clones will be history regardless. 

I feel bad for you guys having so much trouble finding clones.  They sit here.  The only figure you absolutely cannot get is the Red Royal Guard.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2005, 09:10 AM »
Hey building armies is where it is at.  I was all pissed off cause I couldn't find any commanders b/c other army builders in my area were buying them.  But hey who ever gets there first wins.  Today I was at Target at 7:50, by the time they open they had 6 commanders and I got mine.  All the other times I missed them cause I was late.

Besides eventually the collectors that want one or two will get theirs and if not they can email me and I'll hook them up.

Building armies make you and me and all of us kick a$$ collectors.
Gatillo

You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2005, 11:51 AM »
I agree Gatillo.  Army builders are where it's at.  I doubt we'll go to hell for this.

:P

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2005, 02:01 PM »
But when you go to the store how can you tell the difference between and army builder and an army hoarder?

I have seen "collectors" in my area carrying 10 or 12 of the same figure and I don't have one.  So I have gone up to them and asked if they could help a fellow collector out.  I have been met with different answers and even once got not one but 2 figs handed to me.  Usually the "collector" gets pist off and remarks something about luck or the early bird.  Granted some of these are scalpers but I know some of them to be collectors from message boards such as this.

My point is, they are just toys, nothing worth getting the snot beaten out of you over.  Sometimes I just want to go Order 66 on their a$$.
Gatillo
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2005, 02:20 PM »
Keep in mind, guys, that the longer the line sells, the longer they'll continue it. Army builders buy lots of ****, and that equals $$$ for Hasbro.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2005, 05:04 PM »
It's pretty easy to army build here. Every store has more than a few #6 Clones, Commanders, Pilots, and Droids. But if you want to get 6 red Guards, forget about it. I have three, and feel slightly guilty about that. They can't be found anywhere, and I have three.  :P

I don't fault anyone for army building at all. The product is being purchased and opened for their enjoyment.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk