Author Topic: Music of the Duel or Episode 3 Soundtrack Discussion  (Read 18982 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: Music of the Duel or Episode 3 Soundtrack Discussion
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2005, 04:40 PM »
Got all fifteen tracks.

I've only listened to the first three so far, but daaaamn, this is good stuff.

Got them all thanks to a link I found on Spawn.com.  Saved them to the hard drive and made my own copy of the soundtrack, though I will still buy the legit version when it hits stores.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2005, 04:56 PM »
I got mine from a Pearl Jam message board.  :)

I'm making a CD of it as well, but I'll get the CD when it comes out too.

I've soaked it all in, and a couple of tracks don't feel like Star Wars music. It's not a bad thing, though. I'm glad John Williams is doing new stuff with SW music.

Now let's just hope Ben Burtt doesn't drown it all out with turnip farts and explosions. ::)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

SilverZ

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2005, 09:20 PM »
Of course, this will all be moot when Burtt deletes half of the CD's included music from the film during the sound mix so he can use that AWESOME sound effect of his neighbor's knee creaking as a background door shutting, but at least we'll have the CD. 

Don't forget the numerous points he'll probably dial down the music to showcase Matt Wood's Grievous VO and its accompanying filters and whirring motors recorded from a 1960's camera/whale humping sound effects.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2005, 10:39 PM »
Or eliminating the score from the duel because the lightsabers make their own music ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2005, 12:03 AM »
RE: Battle of the Heroes

I'm not real high on this to be honest, maybe its because of the odd sychopation that is present and the strange Time Sig being used but its just hard to like it.  I think its meant to be that way, because Anakin is going mad and the music reflects that (moreso in Anakin v. OW) 

It will probably be there for me later on but it didn't grab me right away like Duel of the Fates, The Naboo Celebration, Anakin's Theme and even Across the Stars did. 

I do like the quotations of the OT music in this, the overall feel is very, very disjointed and ominous which matches the movie it seems.  Its less than 40 days away.  I actually haven't even thought about that yet, where I'm going to go etc.  That's nothing really, 5-6 weeks and its going to fly.  Amazing that this journey we've all been riding since 1996-7 is finally coming to a close.  Rather gloriously but its ending all the same.  No TV show or Cartoon will ever top this...ever.  The Soundtrack was the last of probably any major spoiler we'll receive and it didn' disappoint.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2005, 12:08 AM »
I don't know if I'm hot on the Duel of Heros theme either. I was expecting somthing more like Fates, with some haunting choral music along with it, and not what we got. I'll see if I love it in the theatre.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

SilverZ

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2005, 12:51 AM »
"Battle" grows on me more and more, actually. Maybe what does it for me is how I'm interpreting it as being emotionally driven, whereas a lot of the previous themes I found too calculated, almost like they were written to be catchy more than complement picture. I think a lot of TPM and AOTC's themes sound false, or devoid of substance, probably because the movies don't have much going on behind the pretty images on screen, either.

I may be reading too much into it, or going on false assumptions, but I get the feeling listening to the album of it being written with a lot more passion than either previous score. I get the sense that Williams was able to compose to a complete and dramatic story, instead of patching together a score to a still in-flux AOTC or a soulless TPM, and the result is a remarkable improvement, to my ears. 

Or I could be setting myself up with delusional high-hopes, and shouldn't get too attached or reach conclusions on any of this until I see the movie.

And yeah... I'm pumped on the movie more and more, even as we spoil ourselves with giant leaks like this. It's sad in a way for it to be ending, but with any luck we'll be sending off the series on a high note.

Oh dear, a pun.  :-\

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2005, 03:16 PM »
I've got bittirrent but now how or where do I find the files? Or can someone who has it send it to me??
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2005, 06:18 PM »
I got the SOundtrack on Limewire last night....All I can say is WOW.

Princess Leai's theme in the end titles sealed the deal for me...I've DLed it for now, but don't worry...They haven't lost my purchase.

I've been waiting for this to come out since AOTC came out, so yea...You can imagine my excitement right now. :)

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2005, 08:47 PM »
I've got bittirrent but now how or where do I find the files? Or can someone who has it send it to me??

You've got to go to site that have torrent-searches. It's not the easiest sharing program, as you've got to visit sites and hope to find that what you're looking for, and then... the DL has to work as well.

Over at MF.forums are posts of all tracks in zip or rar format.

On the soundtrack, I'm a bit dissappointed at the lack of the Imperial March.

I was hoping that with the whole rise of the Empire and Anakin turning into Vader, it'd feature more prominently a-la the first released TESB soundtrack.

Hoping the movie has it more.

I'm not decided on what I think about it, some pieces sound a bit haphazard as if JW wanted to mix OT with PT and something new to create the merger between old and new.

I also don't like DOTF, as I think it's too obvious a piece of music to really work as a piece of a score. It works better as a standalone piece, like To the stars or what's it called from AOTC.

It's also not versatile as other motifs from the OT are, Force Theme, Leia's Theme, Imperial March etc.

Especially the last one is one that is used in so many different guises, it must rank as one of the most diverse pieces of music ever written.

It's also almost as if either JW or GL or them both wanted to have ROTS hark as much as possible back to TESB, with what sounds like 1-to-1 copies of music from the Bespin Duel during Anakin versus Obi-Wan.

And that is just plain TOO easy and TOO cheap.

Add to that the end credits, which seems like a complete "Remember way back in 1977 did you like Star Wars well here it is all again, wallow in it" rhapsody.

There are very nice points too in the score, the new pieces really convey what the movie is about at those moments, although still, we've yet to see them work and fit so it can all be better yet.

It's a bit like Spielberg asking Williams to make a sort of up-tempo version of the Jaws theme to add to when the T-Rex appears in Jurassic Park. Too easy.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Finally had a chance to hear most of it, stupid cd burner ran into a buffer overrun so it only copied 10 outta 15 tracks. But what I've heard I do like a lot.  :)
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Herbert_Ackermans

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2005, 06:47 PM »
I have to say a number of pieces really are not Star Wars-esque, but are really chilling, Palpatine's teachings and Padme's ruminations are downright deep dark and menacing.

If the visual bits are as powerful, those scenes will be most impressive.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2005, 12:29 AM »
Clicky to download.   8)

A Hero Falls

SilverZ

« Reply #58 on: May 1, 2005, 12:58 AM »
The newest Hyperspace Webdoc is up, focusing on the music: Endlessly Compelling along with an official (meh) source for the A Hero Falls video.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 1, 2005, 01:17 PM »
AOL Music has the ROTS CD for your hearing pleasure. Enjoy.  :)

Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith Soundtrack