Author Topic: Jaster Mereel - Work in Progress  (Read 3877 times)

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
Jaster Mereel - Work in Progress
« on: May 14, 2005, 10:36 AM »
Well, since I love seeing figures come together from scratch/different figure parts, I'd figure that I'd start one of these myself. Plus, this thread isn't about a clone! I aim to please, Master_Phurby

I've long wanted to do this: a custom of Jaster Mereel; Jango Fett's mentor, Father figure, and all around mandalorian bad@$$ (Yes, I love mandalorians).

For those of you who don't know who jaster is, here are some pics.

The recipe I plan on using for good ol' Jaster is the following:

left and right forearms: 300th figure Boba Fett
Legs: SAGA Pilot Jango Fett
Torso, pelvis, upper arms, head: VOTC Boba Fett.

For the head, I may hollow out the 300th Boba fett head and use that, but I'm not too confident in my dremel skills yet, so I may not do that, as I need more practice with the dremel.

I don't have any extras of those figures to use for the actual custom yet (cept save maybe the 300th fett), but will be acquiring them soon. I wanted to see how the colours would come out, so I just finished painting some jango fodder to give me an idea on how the finished product would look like.

I mixed some paints to get these colours and I think they turned out pretty well. Keep in mind, these aren't the actual parts that are going to be used. These are only to give you an idea of what's to come.

(The finished product will certainly be less sloppy in paint execution. I just painted these quickly to give an idea of what it'd look like and I love how the colours turned out.)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 10:41 AM by ThePerennial »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Jaster Mereel - Work in Progress
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 11:15 AM »
That's a very good idea for a custom figure.

If you're thinking of a good helmet to use, might I suggest one of the removable helmets from one of the Jango Fetts in the SAGA line? 

Your painting on a "mock up" is already pretty good!  If you consider that sloppy, your painting must be really good!

I really think we are in for a treat!

:P

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 12:48 PM »
Thanks, Chewie!

I'll need to get new paints because I tested with crappy apple barrel acrylics. I'm gonna need to use Tamiya. I love tamiya, but I've only bought one colour to see what it was like. I ended up liking it, so I think I'm going to get more tamiya paints.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 03:13 PM »
I use those crappy Apple Barrel paints actually.   :-\

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 03:31 PM »

Me too. Apple Barrel represent!

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 04:51 PM »
I meant no offense, really. Maybe I'm using them wrong or something :P

Whenever I paint with apple barrel, it dries well and the colour turns out well, but it "scratches off" easily, so whenever there's joint movement, it scratches off. Am I doing something wrong?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 04:56 PM »
We were just bustin' on ya.

Have you tried sealing the paint with a coating of Dulcoat? I've done that before, and it keeps the paint scratching to a minimum. :)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 05:15 PM »
Where do you get this other paint your are referring to?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 05:25 PM »
Ask JesseJames, he practicaly pimps the stuff out. ;) From what I've heard it is great it is more flexible than normal acrylics and is better around joints, and even better when you seal it. I'm going to have to try some myself.

Try this linkTamiya Site
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 05:26 PM by Sith Lord Chaos »
"This is the way."

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 09:25 PM »
there'a a place at a mall near me hat sells it. Great stuff, but expensive.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 03:54 AM »
Sorry for the double post, but I just felt like bumping this with a question: Can anyone post a pic of a dissasembled VOTS fett? Can it be done without seriously damaging it? I remember taking apart my 300th fett and I didn't know that the back side of the pelvic part was attatched to the torso, so I ended up breaking it.

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 03:05 PM »

Me too, Apple Barrel and Folkart kick ass. Cheap, effective, and they come in bigger bottles than most paints.

I mean paints like the games workshop kinda come in bottles od 3/4 oz. or maybe 1 oz. and are usually $2 or $3 Dollars..

Joints don't matter to me, for two reasons. I generally only paint miniatures, or stickt he bigger figures on a shelf, and I don't do drugs.  :P

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 10:34 PM »
We were just bustin' on ya.

Have you tried sealing the paint with a coating of Dulcoat? I've done that before, and it keeps the paint scratching to a minimum. :)

Kevin

Thanks for the tip, kevin! How exactly do I go about sealing the paint with dulcoat? Do I wait till the acrylic dries and then put it on? What's the best dulcoat to get?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2005, 10:37 PM »
I used it before - I used a spray that you can buy at Walmart.  I waited until the paint dried.  Then sprayed... but you have to spray very lightly or the figure will get gooey and attract lint and pet hairs. 

I really don't have much success with the dull coat - when it did work for me, what I did was paint the figure, let it dry, spray it down, let it dry, and paint it again.

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2005, 10:40 PM »
I used it before - I used a spray that you can buy at Walmart.  I waited until the paint dried.  Then sprayed... but you have to spray very lightly or the figure will get gooey and attract lint and pet hairs. 

I really don't have much success with the dull coat - when it did work for me, what I did was paint the figure, let it dry, spray it down, let it dry, and paint it again.

ah, that's odd. I hear dulcoat is supposed to keep it from getting sticky (if you're using enamels). I was looking it up and I hear a good makleshift dulcoat is 5 parts water, two parts rubbing alcohol and three parts elmer's white liquid preschool-type glue. That sounds fishy to me, but it's making me so very curious so I have to try it. I'll let you guys know the verdict after I try it (If I can find some rubbing alcohol)