Author Topic: Battalion questions on Cato Neimoidia?  (Read 2907 times)

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
Battalion questions on Cato Neimoidia?
« on: June 1, 2007, 07:41 PM »
I don't know if this has been asked before, but I'm wondering which battalion was during Cato Neimoidia battle? That is where Plo Koon is shot down. Also was there a ground battle fought at Cato Neimoidia? If so, I was wondering if Clone Troopers/Clone Pilots had any certain color pattern or armor to them? Is there any information about this whole part during the Clone Wars? I want to start a new battalion that hasn't been done before. If anyone knows anything was General Plo Koon in charge of this battalion? Thanks for any help on this.
roron corobb
« Last Edit: June 1, 2007, 08:48 PM by roron corobb »
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Battalion questions on Cato Neimoidia?
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2007, 12:43 AM »
Plo Koon was a long-time member of the Jedi Council, and well known for his piloting abilities. He often tutored Jedi in dogfighting. That said - since Battalions are generally led by Majors, with Army Groups consisting of several battalions, he was likely something along the lines of a Regional Commander. I'd be very surprised if his duties and responsibilities were limited strictly to air combat - in fact, I'd bet his taking to dogfighting was protested by his staff.

As for your question regarding ground battles:

SW Databank: During the Clone Wars, the Neimoidian Home Defense Legions doubled their conscription rate, and called up all reservists for active protection Neimoidia and her purse worlds. As such, the gently swaying bridge-cities became filled with Neimoidian tanks and airstrips, mansions became billeted with soldiers and gunners, and polished skyscrapers and gilded towers were marred by anti-starfighter emplacements.

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 3, 2007, 01:20 AM »
That is an interesting take on this. I understand really work military, but I was going on what we know of the Star Wars world of military. As General Kenobi lead 212th Attach Battalion and such. I was wondering if Plo Koon would have lead such a battalion or something like it during the assault on Cato Neimoidia? Hasbro's take on this is the 442nd Siege Battalion, with the backstory of them assaulting Cato Neimoidia, but I was wondering if there is anything said in comics or books that would have more information on this whole picture mainly from the Republic stand point. Thanks for the help though.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2007, 02:10 AM »
There are some major differences between Plo Koon and Obi-Wan Kenobi in terms of their titles of leadership in the Clone Wars. From what I've read, General Kenobi was dispatched from the Battle of Cato Neimoidia (where Plo Koon was his superior) in order to take command of Squad Seven in the Special Op rescue mission at the Battle Over Coruscant. Later, Kenobi was sent on a Special Op reconnaissance mission, where the 212th staged their attack (after he called them in). This tells me that Kenobi was more of a go-to man, transferred to whatever front he was needed, while Plo Koon, an elder in the Council, was set firmly with one campaign.

While Plo Koon seems to have commanded a battalion in battle, or even a smaller unit such as a squad, what I'm suggesting is that he was probably the Commander of an entire theater consisting of several battalions and hundreds of squads...

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 3, 2007, 03:32 AM »
Oh okay, that sound like it could be. There is so much here and there about Jedi leading and this and that it's hard to keep track of who was in cammand of what unit etc. This would be like Ki-Adi-Mundi commanding the 21st Nova Corps (Galactic Marines), where I look at that as a branch (like USMC) of service over a battalion or anything smaller. Thanks
roron corobb
my feedback link

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2007, 09:29 AM »
This would be like Ki-Adi-Mundi commanding the 21st Nova Corps (Galactic Marines), where I look at that as a branch (like USMC) of service over a battalion or anything smaller.

Exactly. I think it'd be total folly on the Jedi's part to have the elders on the Jedi Council in command of anything short of an Army Group (not sure what the Star Wars equivalent of that is, possibly a Legion). I break the titles into whatever class the specific Jedi is. For example, Aayla Secure and Quinlan Voss are probably more fit to command a Battalion, while a Padawan is more fit to command a Company (one step under Battalion).