Author Topic: New JD Poll: Where does ROTS rank now?!  (Read 16593 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: New JD Poll: Where does ROTS rank now?!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2005, 08:34 AM »
I have only seen ROTS once so far.  But this is my general ranking. 

1) ESB - This is still my favorite movie of all time and doubt it will ever change.  The Hoth battle, Yoda training Luke on Dagobah, Han Frozen in Carbonite, Vader at his most menacing, Luke vs Vader, and then one of the best moments in movie history - Vader's parental revelation.  It just does not get much better than all of that.  Plus we get Lando and Boba Fett.

2) ANH - Really it should probably be #1.  It's all but tied with my favorite ESB.  I just put in the number 2 slot.   Alec is totally convincing as Kenobi and talking about the Force.  The Cantina scene is great.  Han and Chewy and introducing the Millenium Falcon.  The droids are fantastic (R2-D2 & C-3PO).  The Death Star confrontation between Kenobi and Vader.  And of course probably THE most exciting scenes in movie history - the attack on the Death Star and the explosion.  You just can't really top this movie IMO.  I feel kind of dirty putting it at #2.

3) ROTJ - I love the movie but there are some things that knock it down compared to the other 2.  Not much though.  The Ewoks I both liked and disliked at the same time.  There is kind of a long dull moment in the middle of this film unlike the other 2.  At least that's how I perceive the film.  It might just be me?  I love the Jabba scenes and the space battle above Endor.  The speederbike chase is classic.  Of course the confrontation between Vader and Luke and the Emperor's attempted seduction of Luke.  I did enjoy the final spirits of the Jedi - Kenobi, Yoda, and Sebastian Shaw as Vader's spirit. 

4) ROTS - I really enjoyed this movie last night.  It's just hard for me to place it higher than any of the originals.  I just love those other 3 too much.  I love the FEAL of the originals.  Plus, I don't think this film beats any of them regardless.  Maybe it beats ROTJ?  Nah!  There is lots of great stuff in ROTS.  I like it for what it is.  That is it puts us right into ANH very well IMO.  Yeah, I thought it was the best of the PT by quite a bit.  I really enjoyed Palpatine's talk with Anakin at the opera.  I thought that was one of the best moments of the film for me.  At least last night it was.  Of course we get the duel between Anakin and Kenobi which just beats everything else in the PT.  Gotta like Yoda and Sidious battling it out as well.  Fun stuff. 

5) AOTC - I really like AOTC to be honest.  So, even though it is down there in my ranking I want it clear that I like it.  But there are moments that are just very cringeful.  Such as the fireside chats with Anakin and Padme.  Love Natalie in that black leather dress get up but man that is just some really poor dialogue.  I can't believe they did not cut out that scene with Anakin riding that pot-bellied pig thing.  The CGI is just terrible there.  Unfortunately there is a lot of wooden acting to bring the film down.  Still though I really enjoyed the beasts, battle arena, Clones fighting the Seperatists, and of course CGI Yoda busting out the lightsaber on Dooku.  I actually liked the Jango Fett versus Kenobi scene on Kamino.  Little Boba Fett came off poorly.  But for the most part I like AOTC. 

6 TPM - No big surprise here.  I do like this movie more than others that rip on it.   This one has the most problems however IMO.  I don't care for Jake Lloyd (nothing against him personally).  I just thought of all the "thousands" of kids that went out for this part they could have gotten about 500 better than him.  I thought the transition from little Ani leaving his mom to all of a sudden Jinn fighting Maul in the dessert was horrible.  That fight itself is way too short.  Jar-Jar is just in the movie way too much.  I did mind the character but good gracious he is in the movie way too much doing to many stupid things.  I did not care for Nute Gunray's voice or the Neimodians voices either.  It was enough for me to cringe.   The Midi-chlorians thing is a joke.  Boss Nass as the leader of the Gungans is odd as well. 

However, I loved Darth Maul.  I wish he did not get sliced in half altough it's good for Kenobi's character I suppose.  I would have liked to have seen Maul take Dooku's place I suppose.   But Dooku is a cool character so it's all good.  The Podrace itself is nifty except for the cartoon looking Podracers themselves although Sebulba is ok.  The "yippee" yells from Anakin are horrid.  The best part of the movie is of course the three-way duel between Jinn, Kenobi, and Maul.  I loved the "Duel of the Fates" music as well. 

Overall I am pleased with the entire saga really. 

5) 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2005, 09:05 AM »
I was quite curious to see everyone's feelings and rankings, now that we can "officially" rank the whole Saga, and not just part of it.  After seeing ROTS yesterday, I can say it is without a doubt, far and away the best of the prequel movies, and to me fits in more with the feel of the OT than anything else we've seen thus far.  As much as I liked it, for some reason...be it the characters/story or just nostalgia in general....I'm not sure I can place it ahead of the OT movies either.  I liked it about as much I think, and they would all be ranked pretty close for me, but there's something about the OT that just holds a little higher with me personally.  I'd probably rank them this way:

1. Empire Strikes Back - My favorite, by far.
2 (tie). A New Hope - The one that started it all, and really a nice "stand alone" movie, which it could have been at first.
2 (tie).  Return of the Jedi - I know many people dislike this the most of the OT because of Ewoks, etc., but maybe it is because this is the first Star Wars movie I saw in the theatres...back when I was 6...but I've always had a special place for this one.  The Jabba's Palace/Sarlacc scenes are cool, as is the final Death Star Assault and Saber battle.
3.  Revenge of the Sith - Very close to ANH/ROTJ right now, and BY FAR the best of the prequels to me.  I really, really enjoyed this movie.  It tied up a number of things quite well, answered a lot of questions, and had all sorts of action.  This 2 1/2 hour movie seemed like it was a half hour to me yesterday, just because of the non stop action and not wanting it to end.  Quite a way to go out, IMO.
4. Attack of the Clones - I really, really liked this movie when I first saw it when it came out, and thought it rivaled my favorites of all time.  Some of that might have been the newness, but I have cooled on it a bit since then.  I still like the movie, but there are parts I almost become bored with.  The clones, Arena, and saber battles are all quite well done.  For some reason, I have noticed this movie getting the lowest rankings/getting ragged on the most with all the Star Wars talk lately (with fans and critics both).
5.  The Phantom Menace - I don't dislike this movie as much as others have.  And actually, after watching it this past weekend on Fox (first time I had seen it in a long time), I kind of have a new appreciation for it.  Sure, it drags in some parts, and there is too much Jar Jar, but overall the film is pretty good, and that final Saber battle is awesome.

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 10:00 AM »
1)ESB ;)
2)ROTS ;D
3)ROTJ
4)ANH
5)AOTC
6)TPM :-\
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 10:35 AM »
I really think the emotional aspect of this is what carries ROTS for me...I really think ESB is getting to the point of almost Epic comparisons for reasons I get but I also don't think it is untouchable. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2005, 03:11 PM »
#1 - ANH
#2 - ESB
#3 - ROTS
#4 - ROTJ
#5 - AOTC
#6 - TPM

:P

Offline JedioftheNorth

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2005, 03:59 PM »
1. ROTS/ ESB(it's a tie I really like both)
2. ANH
3. AOTC
4. ROTJ
5. TPM

;D

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 09:34 PM »
1. ESB
2. ANH
3. ROTJ
4. ROTS
5. AOTC
6.  TPM
I would say ROTJ and ROTS are nearly a tie.  I prefer ROTJ just a wee bit more.

Offline Jagdohh_Fett

• Jedi Initiate
  • Never to be remembered ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2005, 04:07 AM »
Here's how my list looks now.

1. ROTJ
2. SW
3. ESB
4. ROTS
5. AOTC
6. TPM
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes ... just wait longer."

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 11:29 AM »
#1  ANH  -- the original's still my favorite
#2  ESB   -- these two are tied for second, they're
       ROS      both dark and important to the story arc
#3  AOC  --  better dialogue would've ranked this
                    one a little higher
#4  ROJ  -- tied for fourth due to cutesy, comic
       TPM     characters

I was very pleased with Revenge of the Sith.  My husband, however, was disappointed with it.  Some of the character motivations, which seem obvious to me, could have actually been spelled out for the audience with just a line or two of dialogue.  And it still left a lot of unanswered questions. 
I'm looking forward to seeing it again.
When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2005, 01:23 AM »
1) Empire (Duh! ;))
1 A) ANH-the first, the original, it changed our lives; come on, what else is there to say?   :)
3) Jedi- Especially after watching it a few weeks ago, the end sequence is so much more powerful after seeing Vader's fall to the Dark Side.
4) Episode III -Really, this film is in a class all by itself.  Finally a prequel truly worthy of the name Star Wars!  More drama, intensity, and epic feel than I ever dreamed a Star Wars film could provide.  Check out my review if you get a chance:
http://blogs.starwars.com/Jedidz23StarWarsBlog/5
5) Episode II-All of the reasons Darth Broem gave work for me as well, except I wasn't all that impressed with the big arena scene at the end.  The beasts were a bit lame to me, and I thought the Boga looked poor, plus I was waiting for years for a giant Jedi duel, and all they did was take batting practice with some laser bolts.  Kind of lame, but we did get Aayla to look at.   :P  Also, Count Dooku is a great character; how can you not love Christopher Lee?!
6) Episode I-The Phantom Casting Director, I mean Menace.  Again, I have to give the nod to Brian for my reasons as well.  I always hated that Anakin wasn't more sad for leaving his mother.  That was a collosal waste of a dramatic moment.  However, Qui-Gon is one of the best characters in any of the six films, and of course, the final lightsaber duel.  I did like Episodes I and II very much, but they do pale in comparison to the other four.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 11:04 AM by Jedidz23 »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2005, 08:17 AM »
Yeah, I have to agree with Dan.  There is a top 4 in the Star Wars series now and then you have the bottom 2.  At least for me.  It's like the OT and ROTS are in that area where it's kind of hard to pick a favorite between the four.  You can, but it gets a bit tougher.  With the other 2 it's easier to put them near the bottom. 

Offline Theyrenotdolls

• Youngling
  • Always on the move....
    • View Profile
    • Theyrenotdolls.com
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2005, 04:34 PM »
" I say patience." 

i voted it as my fav in the poll, but before i rant on the wonders of ROTS or horrors of TPM, blah, etc.  I'll give it a little more time....spend some time away from the theater ( about a week) then probably wait for the dvd to be out before i declare a favorite. 

TND
They're Not Dolls Custom Star Wars Action Figures: 

http://www.theyrenotdolls.com

Offline Andy_R

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 04:11 PM »
Sometime between 1983 and 1999 George Lucas decided he was a comedian.  It is unfortunate, because every attempt at humor fails miserably in the prequels, even in ROTS.
It is actually quite remarkable; I have seen some really bad movies that were able to make at least one joke work.

As much as I hate TPM and AOTC, I think they would have been a lot more digestable if they didn't try to be funny at all.  Just stick to the characters and the story.

That being said, I liked Sith, especially the 2nd half of the film when there were moments that actually approached the OT's greatness.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2005, 04:22 PM »
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi

4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2005, 04:27 PM »
1.Revenge Of The Sith
2.The Empire Strikes Back
3.A New Hope
4.Attack of the Clones
5.Return of the Jedi
6.The Phantom Menace

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...