Author Topic: Different Cuts Of The Film?  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Different Cuts Of The Film?
« on: May 24, 2005, 02:31 PM »
That's the word, and a buddy of mine who I've seen the movie with twice now brought it to my attention and I think he's right...

One difference was in the battle over Coruscant...  When Grievous' ship is falling, it seems the Captain orders the "reverse thrusters" or something to level the ship out and we see the engine burst...  In the other though, Anakin's the one who initiates the engine burst to slow the ship down in its descent...  Did anyone notice this?

Today my buddy mentioned that there's a dialogue difference...  Padme lamenting the rise of the Empire during the Senate sequence.  In one version she says, "This is how democracy dies", and in another she says, "this is how Liberty dies"

Or something to that effect...  I may be slightly misquoting but there's differences I guess people are noticing.

Anyone caught any of that stuff yet?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Different Cuts Of The Film?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 02:38 PM »
Isn't it possible people just misunderstood what they heard the first or second or third times?  People say this stuff everytime a new movie comes out.  I am not saying it is not true but it just seems hard to believe that's all.

Offline Theyrenotdolls

• Youngling
  • Always on the move....
    • View Profile
    • Theyrenotdolls.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 04:32 PM »
the democracy dies thing...i'd say is someone's imagination..but who knows.   

the slowing of the ship....Grevous orders reverse boosters.....later on  after ani is at the helm he orders all drag flaps etc. to be opened. 

TND
They're Not Dolls Custom Star Wars Action Figures: 

http://www.theyrenotdolls.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 07:39 PM »
http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=221807&tstart=25

It's being discussed a bit at SW.com and maybe it can make what I wanted to say a bit clearer...  My buddy who brought this up to me isn't one to ramble on like a 10 year old thinking he saw something he didn't...  He's got a kid in college, he's a level-headed guy, so I respect his observation...  Whether it's reality or not, I'm not sure, and neither is he, he just is curious and now the Liberty/Democracy lines have thrown a wrench in things...  Anyone recall what that line was when THEY saw it?  We seem to recall Liberty at one showing but Democracy at another...  It is hard to tell if your mind's playing tricks on you though. 

The "Boosters" scene was more the order in which the rockets fired...  The one was said to have fired after Grievous' Captain ordered it, the other sequence though was Anakin firing the "boosters" when he ordered all flaps and hatches open.  It's the same scene it's just placed after 2 different people speak their dialogue.

I can't confirm the truth to this, but it sparked some intrigue in me because my buddy was at the private showing with me, then at the midnight premiere, and we're both having similar memories.  Seems odd, to say the least.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 01:08 AM »
I remember hearing both democracy and liberty, but I think we might all be confusing two seperate lines in the movie. In one scene Padme speaks of Democracy, and another she speaks of Liberty... Maybe we're just confusing them?

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 01:31 AM »
I remember hearing both democracy and liberty, but I think we might all be confusing two seperate lines in the movie. In one scene Padme speaks of Democracy, and another she speaks of Liberty... Maybe we're just confusing them?

You're probably right AE. The line Padme says in the senate is..

"so this is how liberty ends... with thunderous applause"

The democracy references occur in one of the scenes Padme has with Anakin, I believe the daylight scene on the balcony.

As for different cuts of the film, it's my understanding there was a slight difference in the digital print of AOTC as opposed to the standard print, though I saw both and couldn't see a difference. Also the IMAX print was shortened in time to fit the format. The same could occur for ROTS as well.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 01:31 AM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2005, 07:33 PM »
I had heard about different prints as well this morning.  I happen to be good friends with someone who works for the company the distributes all of Fox's film prints. I called him this morning to get a handel on this rumor. All the prints are the same. There are no differences what-so-ever.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 09:07 PM »
I assume that includes the digital prints as well, Anthony?  McCallum didn't go as ape**** at C3, like he did at C2, suggesting that the digital print would have exclusive footage this time.  He just kept hyping the fact that the quality was way better.  But I was still mildly curious about all the rumors about the digital version being longer/revised...  That seems not to be the case, as far as I can tell from all the reviews I've read around the net of it.  Bummer.

Hopefully the upcoming DVD version will get spiced up a little bit though!

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2005, 01:13 PM »
a $182 million as of its' 6 day release  ;D
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 03:07 PM »
I assume that includes the digital prints as well, Anthony? 
Hopefully the upcoming DVD version will get spiced up a little bit though!

That doesn't include the digital prints since digital distribution is handled differently.

However, I did see the digital screening and there were no differences that I could see. Certainly no additional scenes.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."