Author Topic: Is Mace Windu a "bad egg"...?  (Read 18154 times)

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
Re: Is Mace Windu a "bad egg"...?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2005, 01:08 PM »
What the frig is Vappad?

Kevin

Vaapad, the seventh form of lightsaber combat, takes its name from a notoriously dangerous predator native to the moons Sarapin: a vaapad attacks its prey with whipping strikes of its blindingly fast tentacles. Most have at least seven. It is not uncommon for them to have as many as twelve; the largest ever killed had twenty-three. With a vaapad, one never knew how many tentacles it had until it was dead: they move too fast to count. Almost too fast to see.

Vaapad is as aggressive and powerful as its namesake, but its power comes at great risk: immersion in Vaapad opens the gates that restrain one's inner darkness. To use Vaapad, a Jedi must allow himself to enjoy the fight; he must give himself over to the thrill of battle. The rush of winning. Vaapad is a path that leads through the penumbra of the dark side.

Mace Windu created this style, and he was its only living master.

Vaapad is a channel for darkness, and that darkness flowed both ways. He accepted the furious speed of the Sith Lord, drew the shadow's rage and power into his inmost center—

And let it fountain out again.

Vaapad made him an open channel, half of a superconducting loop completed by the shadow; they became a standing wave of battle that expanded into every cubic centimeter of the Chancellor's office. There was no scrap of carpet nor shred of chair that might not at any second disintegrate in flares of red or purple; lampstands became brief shields, sliced into segments that whirled through the air; couches became terrain to be climbed for advantage or overleapt in retreat. But there was still only the cycle of power, the endless loop, no wound taken on either side, not even the possibility of fatigue.

Because Vaapad is more than a fighting style. It in a state of mind: a channel for darkness. Power passed into him and out again without touching him.

And the circuit completed itself: the lightning reflected back to its source.

Had the novel handy.   :P
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 01:09 PM by JayDouble »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2005, 01:27 PM »
I understand. Is it possible to learn this power?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline saga_de_geminis

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Mace Windu
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2005, 01:36 PM »
Hi, It's the first time I visit this forum, And I want to comment something about the scene when, Master Windu Dies, I hate that momment, I would like to know what do u thing about that

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Mace Windu
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2005, 02:56 PM »
I liked him getting his arm hacked off.  I liked him getting electrocuted and tossed halfway across the city :) 

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2005, 03:27 PM »
The only lame thing about Windu's death was him shreeking, "Aaaaaahh - He's the traitor!"... it sounded really forced. But I'm crazy.

Users of Vaapad:
Mace Windu (creator)
Sora Bulq (joined the Dark Side)
Depa Billaba (Windu's apprentice - joined the Dark Side)
Quinlan Vos (taught by Sora Bulq)

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2005, 07:24 PM »
I've always thought Mace was a great character. Anakin got what he deserved from Mace. Anakin was an overzealous punk who thought he was the **** and that he could bypass all of the structure that the Jedi had. Mace is the only one who really told him his place. Anakin was very sneaky and Mace knew this from the start and rightfully so, did not trust him. Every time Anakin didn't get what he wanted to would complain and pout. I believe Mace tried to humble him, but to no avail.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2005, 07:36 PM »
This is just an amusing aside that popped into my head when I was watching television this evening (they were showing a clip of Palpatine firing the lightning at Mace at the time).  Back around 1996 or so, Sam Jackson did an interview with Playboy (insert obligatory "I read it for the articles" joke here) where he mentioned one of his favorite movies, long before he was cast in the remake/updating, was "Shaft."  He said that while shooting the third "Die Hard" movie, he, Bruce Willis and some of the crew would recite their favorite lines from "Shaft."  And what was the quote that Sam Jackson said in that article?:

"They threw my man Leroy out the goddamned window.  That's some cold ****, Shaft!"

Kind of prophetic, isn't it?  ;D

PS-He's a complicated man, and no one understands him but his woman.

Offline Mr.MojoRisin

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Execute Order 66
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2005, 07:46 PM »
Mace was Shaft.  A Bad MotherF****r.
Execute Order 66: www.execute-order66.com

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2005, 09:47 PM »
Didn't Tony Rocky Horror get thrown out a window too?   ;)

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2005, 12:31 PM »
Mace was Shaft.  A Bad MotherF****r.

Shut your mouth!  But I know you're just talking about Shaft, so I can dig it.  ;)

Didn't Tony Rocky Horror get thrown out a window too?

Yeah, but only Marcellus and Tony know why, although I heard that it had something to do with him giving Mia a foot massage.

And lest we forget that Mace Windu is the foot ******* master.  :)

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2005, 09:28 AM »
I know he begged George to be in the movies, but Sam the Man as a Jedi is one of the worst mis-castings in cinematic history.  His performance in all 3 prequels is awful, I was glad to see him die in ROTS.
And this is coming from a Sam fan,  one of my favourite actors in other movies.  He just wasn't a Jedi.  Maybe should have played Jango or something...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2005, 02:32 PM »
I have to disagree.  It wasn't his greatest performance, but the same can be said of many other exceptional actors in the PT.  I like Mace just fine.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2005, 12:33 AM »
I tend to like mace in the movies too...  He's almost cold/emotionless to me which I think's more intentional than an acting flaw.  I can handle the scream during the fall in E3 too...  Luke was whining like a bitch in ROTJ when he got lightningninged, so I'm just wagering it hurts mighty bad (even for a Master). 

Luke looked like he was passing a kidney stone actually.  Curled on the floor and begging for help.

I liked his death overall...  I just got back from my 3rd time at this movie and it's actually even better to me really.  My buddies went with me this time, and they're the "non-fan" fans who want to see every movie but don't do the whole collecting thing or premieres or whatever...  They usually are also the most critical of the films out of the distinctly separate groups of friends I have, and actually had no major gripe at all.

One cited a "plot hole" but I debunked it slightly with a potential excuse.  Doubt he buys the excuse, but it works for me to disregard it as a plot hole at all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

SilverZ

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2005, 12:49 AM »
I like the Mace character.

I think that Sam Jackson as Mace makes an excellent presence in the PT. He looks like a commanding Jedi Master. Also, as he's the only one apparently one hundred percent clued into Anakin's number, he's a standout. When he died, he certainly didn't go out like a punk. So as a minor character I think he works quite well.

The problem seems to be with the horribly stilted dialog that is a complete mismatch to Jackson. Every time he's saddled with those lumbering lines, it's painful to watch and hear, and nearly pulls me out of the movie. It just further illustrates that Lucas isn't one for crafting lines to match his performers, which is too bad.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2005, 11:14 AM »
What are all 7 different forms of lightsaber fighting? I thought that they were covered in an issue of the Insider, but I can't find it anywhere.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!