Author Topic: Can Sith Beat Titanic?  (Read 32454 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Can Sith Beat Titanic?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2005, 02:46 PM »
$303,200,000  Worldwide, looks like he broke even in a day or two :P

This is also why I think Episode VII through IX might eventually happen.  There is far, far too much money there to just walk away from

Agreed - also - since the movie REALLY DOESN'T explain why Anakin's ghost in the ROTJ DVD is now Hayden instead of Sebastian Shaw, I feel that Lucas doing this opens the door to completely disregard ALL EU material and to make EP7 - EP9. And as a result, a key part to those will be that Anakin & Yoda have been appearing to Luke as guides to help him form the new Jedi Order.

Lucas should be getting visits from shrinks and other types of mental health professionals all basically asking him the same thing....

Shrink: "So let's see Mr. Lucas, you have a franchise that for each movie grosses $400+ million, the movies each cost you not even half that much, not a single one of your other movies, unless it had the name Indiana attached to it EVER made any money, and you're giving up Star Wars movies?"

GL: "Yep"

Shrink: "I'm sorry we're going to have to take you to the ward for observation and medication. Get me a straight jacket in here on the double!"

;D
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2005, 09:34 PM »
"not a single one of your other movies, unless it had the name Indiana attached to it EVER made any money,"

Dude, do some research.  American Grafitti made a huge amont of money, and earned Lucas his first millions.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 09:52 PM »
One hit wonder.  :P

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

SilverZ

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 12:57 AM »
This is also why I think Episode VII through IX might eventually happen.  There is far, far too much money there to just walk away from

Ugh. There wasn't enough story to fill the three prequel movies he already had backstory for. It makes my stomach queasy to imagine what would come from another series of movies he's gone on record as saying there are zero story ideas for.

I'm hoping, that at 60-odd years old, with money in the bank for the rest of his life, he can walk away and do something new, or relax and sit on a beach with the comfort of knowing the whole SW thing is behind him. God knows why he'd want to subject himself to fanboy criticism for another 9 year cycle.

I think the TV show will give us a whole new pool of actors, writers, and showrunners to target our angst at.  ;)

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 02:31 PM »
I wish "Star Wars" would beat "Titanic" -- I'm fascinated with the sinking of the Titanic (inherited that from my mom), but aside from a fairly impressive recreation of the ship, I thought the movie was awful.  I find the true stories much more compelling than Cameron's manufactured melodrama.  And for that reason, as much as for my love of "Star Wars", I'd love to see "Sith" make it to number 1!

As for new "Star Wars" movies -- we'll see 'em for sure when Lucas' kids take over the Ranch.
When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2005, 02:49 PM »
I must be the only male that actually liked that Titanic movie.  LOL!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 04:35 PM »
Lucas loves making money - it's no secret.  There are multiple BILLIONS of dollars to be made if another trilogy gets rolling.

The only reason we haven't heard about it yet is because EIII will make MORE money if people think it's the last hurrah.

Offline Theyrenotdolls

• Youngling
  • Always on the move....
    • View Profile
    • Theyrenotdolls.com
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 04:44 PM »
waves hand.................................ROTS will beat Titanic at the box.
They're Not Dolls Custom Star Wars Action Figures: 

http://www.theyrenotdolls.com

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 08:57 PM »
One word: no.

Titanic had a much broader interest than ROTS has worldwide. It was a one of, special movie about a very tragic moment in real history, people wanted to see that.

Presicely.

Titanic earned more than $20 million every week for almost two months straight. It was unprecidented. It was also released in the winter and had little competition after christmas. There is no way ROTS will come close. It will be lucky it it beats TPM and we will certainly know for sure in two weekends.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darthprep

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2005, 11:52 AM »
hey guys, new here...but just wanted to say the same that Lucas has a huge cash cow here. I can't imagine that his artistic integrity will stop him from making the next few. When you invest 115 million and make it back double in 4 days, how can you walk away?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2005, 01:07 PM »
One word: no.

Titanic had a much broader interest than ROTS has worldwide. It was a one of, special movie about a very tragic moment in real history, people wanted to see that.

Presicely.

Titanic earned more than $20 million every week for almost two months straight. It was unprecidented. It was also released in the winter and had little competition after christmas. There is no way ROTS will come close. It will be lucky it it beats TPM and we will certainly know for sure in two weekends.

Titanic also has a fanbase that ROTS (and all of Star Wars as a matter of fact) lacks so dearly... women.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Goes both ways though...the Titanic fanbase excludes kids and men for the most part...I think there are enough factors here that it has a good chance to make a run...maybe not worldwide but perhaps the domestic
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 01:13 PM by Scott »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005, 09:20 PM »
I doubt ROTS will get too close to Titanic's whopping $600,788,188.  I think it's got an outside chance of reaching the #2 spot, ahead of the original Star Wars' $460,998,007, but I'd still be (pleasantly) surprised if it managed that, to be honest...

I'd love to see it hit the $400 million mark for starters.  Then we'll take it from there.  It's currently sitting at $182,710,278 through yesterday, which is the biggest first 6 days for a movie in history.  Needs $9.375 million today to pass Spiderman 2 for biggest first week ever.  Probably gonna fall short though, unfortunately.

This upcoming weekend will likely be a good barometer to forecast it's overall earning potential though.  It'll need another HUGE weekend, and some serious staying power to really crack the Top 5.  I'm definitely rooting ROTS on though!

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Already at half a billion dollars worldwide in a little over 2 weeks!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2005, 01:09 PM »
Who cares, though- how much money it makes or how many people watch it, As long as you like it?
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini