Author Topic: Can Sith Beat Titanic?  (Read 32446 times)

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
  • Amy Allen... priceless!
    • View Profile
Re: Can Sith Beat Titanic?
« Reply #45 on: June 3, 2005, 02:29 PM »
Actually, I think Matt's assesment has more to do with quality. Because ESB was a quality film, it made the least money. Not to insult anyone, but the fact is is that people don't always like intellectualy films. They usually go to a movie to have a good time, not to get emotionaly bumbed out or have to think about what's going on. ANH was fun through and through, it was the ultimate crowd pleaser. ESB was a differnt experience, a darker one, that's why it didn't perform as well financially.

I can see that.  People are like sheep at times.  They like to be spoon fed with results.  I love that the ending of Empire was left wide open.  Is Vader really Luke's father, will Han Solo be rescued, does Luke really have a bionic hand (that's what we thought when we were kids   :D )?  Most people want the ending to be wrapped up in a nice little package, but I enjoy a little ambiguity now and then.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #46 on: June 5, 2005, 07:55 PM »
Well, it was fun while it lasted.

'Madagascar' #1 at box office.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 6, 2005, 08:35 AM »
I was hoping it would be Batman that would dethrone ROTS.  Oh well.  It almost beat everyone again but not quite.  Still though it's over $308 million.  Not bad for roughly 3 weeks. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: June 6, 2005, 11:59 AM »
I was hoping it would be Batman that would dethrone ROTS.  Oh well.  It almost beat everyone again but not quite.  Still though it's over $308 million.  Not bad for roughly 3 weeks. 

It only lost by about $2 million, so uit was pretty close.  Anyway, from the Top Grossing Movies in the USA:

17. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones (2002) $310,675,583
18. Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983) $309,125,409
19. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005) $308,804,625

Basically RotS has caught up to RotJ and AotC in less than THREE weeks (18 days)!  I'd say that's pretty dang good.   ;)

It should pass both RotJ and AotC this week and then be 3rd highest grossing SW Film of all time with the rest of the summer to go...

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: June 6, 2005, 12:08 PM »
Surprised that it happened though I guess, I would have thought after beating them last week it would have kept ahead of them this week.  Still rolling though well ahead of AOTC and TPM's pace.  It should challenge Menace in the end...for all of the flack Menace got, it sure raked in the moolah

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 6, 2005, 12:12 PM »
I know the TPM did extremely well for all the flack that it got.  I think AOTC would have done better had it not opened around the same timeframe as Spider-Man.  Maybe not though?

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #51 on: June 6, 2005, 10:48 PM »
TPM did well because it played to a family audience.  I think that's why Madagascar has done well, it's the only kid's film out right now.  I bet if ROTS was PG, it would have still been #1.

There are many, many parents who follow the ratings systems and don't bring little ones to PG-13 flicks.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 7, 2005, 12:15 AM »
From the AP:
Topping the $300 million mark in its 17th day of release Saturday, "Revenge of the Sith" became the fastest film to hit that level, beating the record set last year by "Shrek 2," which passed $300 million in 18 days.
At $308.8 million through Sunday, "Revenge of the Sith" was just $2 million behind the total domestic haul of "Star Wars: Episode II — Attack of the Clones." 20th Century Fox expects it to top $400 million and possibly rival the $431 million domestic total of "Episode I — The Phantom Menace," said Bruce Snyder, the studio's head of distribution.

Even though it stinks that Madagascar replaced it, these last two paragraphs sure made me feel a lot happier.   8)
« Last Edit: June 7, 2005, 12:16 AM by Jedidz23 »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #53 on: June 7, 2005, 01:29 AM »
It SOOoooooo deserves to pass TPM that it's not even funny.  I think I'd be happy with that milestone.  Titanic just seems like it's an unattainable goal for this film...  I think the lackluster performances of AOTC and TPM (as far as public opinion goes) really hurt ROTS's chances...  People sour on a franchise and I think a lot soured on Star Wars after 1999 passed us by.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 7, 2005, 09:23 AM »
Personally I don't know what is going to come along and ever top Titanic.  Think about it.  The LOTR movies, SpiderMan flicks, Shrek2, and ROTS all had insance opening weekends and finished well but still fall at least $150-170 million short of $600 million. 

Even if people loved TPM and AOTC I bet it still would not top $450 million. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 7, 2005, 04:05 PM »
I think the lackluster performances of AOTC and TPM (as far as public opinion goes) really hurt ROTS's chances...  People sour on a franchise and I think a lot soured on Star Wars after 1999 passed us by.

No, I think it has to do with the fact the ROTS isn't that better than it's prequel predicessors (as far a public opinion goes.)  :o

Actually, I think what everyone has to realize is that Star Wars has s built in audience. Unless the films were God Awful, they would earn $300 miliion plus easy per film if they kept making them, and it would be roughly the same audience. What'll keep it going is getting John Q Publics butt's in the seats, and that's done with strong word of mouth. I know ROTS is getting favorable reviews and is hailed the best of the prequels, but that's not saying much if you're not a Star Wars fan and if word of mouth isn't that strong, which it's not for ROTS.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 8, 2005, 08:57 AM »
Huh?  Most people I talk to who are not Star Wars fans have given ROTS a very favorable response.  At least around here where I live.  I was kind of surprised because they are the same ones that like to rib me about my Star Wars obsession. 

Ex) A 40 year old co-worker only went to see it with her 10 year old son because he wanted to go.  She told me "I thought I was going to hate it.  I really enjoyed it a lot!" 

Ex2) From my cousin's wife's husband who ripped on the last 2 mercilessly said "Wow!  ROTS was fantastic!! It was so dramatic!  I saw it again the other night!" 

Ex3) Another co-worker who rips on the prequels endlessly.  "ROTS was pretty damn cool Brian.  I was surprised." 

Granted all those people said they were "surprised" but it was all favorable to say the least.  It's just a small smattering I described. 

However, the only people I have heard ripping on it that have seen it are folks here on the boards.  Granted I am sure if I asked around enough I would here someone not liking it.  But it's not the majority.  At least not around here like I said earlier. 

Offline Jedidz23

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 8, 2005, 09:21 AM »
I'll have to piggyback on what Brian said, everyone I have talked to (and I am not shy  ;) ) has said they love the film.  I think people really like that it wraps everything up so nicely.  I have heard some criticism that Anakin agrees to become Darth Vader a bit too quickly (I can see where people would say that), but I still haven't heard too much sour about it, except on some boards.  Right on if you don't like it, as you are certainly entitled to your oppinion (of course!).  I loved it, myself.

Having said all that, I would agree with Jesse James that Episode I soured a lot of people.  A guy who used to run the comic shop I frequent said he would never see anything by Lucas ever again after seeing Menace.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #58 on: June 8, 2005, 10:20 PM »
I agree as well that I think Word of Mouth is good for ROTS...  Reviews were predominantly positive (negative reviews I've found often were stretching for things to complain about), and on a personal level my friends who aren't die-hard SW fans were floored by the film and consider it as good as the originals...  I think in general that people loved ROTS if they went to see it.

The built-in-audience is a given...  I stick by my initial thought that the lackluster performance of TPM and AOTC has hurt ROTS in the long run.  When Star Wars was re-released back in 1997, it was cool to go see it...  It was cool to like Star Wars at the time really...  TPM drew a similar crowd then, but people didn't like the film.  It had that bigger draw because more people went to it but in the end they really didn't like it...  AOTC did piss poor (relatively) then, but was a better film by most everyone who saw it's standards.  THe franchise, after TPM, had become like the plague for a large portion of people it seemed...  It was nerdy to like Star Wars because "oh, so you must like Jar Jar Binks!" and other asinine remarks.

Jump to ROTS and it still suffers the "this is dumb...  I bet Jar Jar's in it!" Stigma.  I personally think that's made a lot of people who (if the franchise wasn't so stereotyped as "bad" now) otherwise would've gone to see the Star Wars films say that they'll either wait to rent it or they're done with the franchise overall...  The disenchanted.  That's just my opinion though...  To me, the film got lots of good press and talk from the public, but that's just my personal experiences with it too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 9, 2005, 12:42 AM »
Personally I don't know what is going to come along and ever top Titanic.  Think about it.  The LOTR movies, SpiderMan flicks, Shrek2, and ROTS all had insance opening weekends and finished well but still fall at least $150-170 million short of $600 million. 

Even if people loved TPM and AOTC I bet it still would not top $450 million. 

30 years from now when the average ticket costs $20.00 almost any blockbuster movie will beat Titanic.