Author Topic: LOST  (Read 133798 times)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: LOST
« Reply #660 on: May 25, 2010, 10:13 AM »

SPOILER

they all died at the initial crash, or some of them actually made it off the island on the plane in the last episode?

If you pay attention to what Christian says at the end, there's isn't really a question.  Plus, Matthew Fox confirmed what happened later that night on Jimmy Kimmel Live.

My understanding was that everything on the island was in their real world experience (Christian - "your time together on the island was the most meaningful time in your lives" or something like that."  That some lived on beyond Jack (Hurley and Ben clearly had continued exploits on the island - "you were a good number two...you were a good number one."   

As each character died off, they then held out in the flash-sideways purgatory-ish zone, awaiting a time that they could reunite with one another and move on. 
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 25, 2010, 01:00 PM »
That was my understanding as well, that at the end of the finale, everyone was "dead"...but that they passed on at different times in their lives.  I think Christian says something to the extent of "some before you, some well after you" to Jack, and saying that there is no "now" where they are now.  Overall, I was pretty happy with the finale.  I have seen and heard a lot of people strongly disliking it, but that is to be expected.  Rarely do you see a television show or movie that isn't complained about in one way or another these days (especially with the internet), and it is nearly impossible to please everyone.  I can understand why some might be disappointed in the lack of explanations relating to the island itself, as well as a few other things (Walt's "powers", what happened to each individually after they left the island, etc.)...but to me, the episode itself was pretty good I thought.

There's a pretty good recap (and thoughts) from "Doc Jensen", a somewhat well-known LOST fan/blogger over at EW.com that I think is pretty good.  I've still got the finale on the DVR, and hope to watch it again or a couple more times just to get it all to sink in.  I've thought about going through the whole series on DVD again too, but we'll see if we can get to that over the summer or not.  My wife and I were just talking about those who may catch up on the series on DVD now, and that would be cool...but I do think you maybe lose part of the experience (particularly in the early season) without having that week of anticipation between each episode.  I remember us talking about it all week and waiting for what came next.  Anyways, I thought it was a pretty good finale to a great series.  I know that I'll really miss it, and although I'm glad they set an end point for the show, I'm sort of sad that it is all done.  Sort of like when ROTS hit theaters....a lot of excitement to see the "last Star Wars movie", but sort of bittersweet since its life on the big screen (aside from animated CW) was over.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 27, 2010, 03:38 PM »
A mark of a great show is the things you learned that can be applied to your daily life. Mine will be how to rip off a snack machine by pulling the plug.

What did you learn from the show?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #663 on: December 24, 2010, 01:21 AM »
Guess which show I just started watching...I know enough to be slightly spoiled but not enough to know everything that is going on.  I'm about 1/2 way through Season 1...thank you Netflix!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 25, 2010, 11:52 PM »
Guess which show I just started watching...I know enough to be slightly spoiled but not enough to know everything that is going on.  I'm about 1/2 way through Season 1...thank you Netflix!

Enjoy Scott!  We watched the first 4 seasons as they aired, then went back and watched them on DVD when they came out.  Definitely a different perspective seeing the shows back to back vs. giving you weeks between episodes to contemplate where things are going.  Hope you like the series and come away with as many questions as the rest of us!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #665 on: January 19, 2011, 09:43 AM »
I'm through Season 2...gotta say I like it so far.  Some is good, some is great but there has also been some not so great.

I really like how they screw with your perceptions of different characters...one minute Sawyer is a bad guy and next week he's a good guy etc

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #666 on: January 19, 2011, 12:28 PM »
If you like getting screwed with, you're gonna love the rest of the show.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 31, 2011, 08:09 PM »
Season 2 was awesome.  The introduction of the Tailies added some great characters and "red shirt" fodder.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #668 on: January 31, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Finished 3 this last week and halfway through 4.  Love the flash forwards...the whole Ben and Locke thing is just fascinating to watch.  They (with Jack) have beaten each other silly and been tied up repeatedly since season 2.

I was pretty moved by Charlie's death but Claire 2 minutes after it happened didn't seem to be...bad acting and/or plotting on that one

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 31, 2011, 11:25 PM »
I think Season 3 was the beginning of the really awesome stuff. 

I think at the end of Season 2 they had signed a contract that gave them a defined end point (six seasons).  I had the feeling that they were a bit "week to week" in the first two seasons with story arcs that weren't as good because they didn't know how long they would be able to keep going for.  The contract allowed them to really script things out and put really elaborate story arcs together.

As you'll see, some of them take the whole six seasons to play out.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #670 on: February 1, 2011, 09:31 PM »
I was pretty moved by Charlie's death but Claire 2 minutes after it happened didn't seem to be...bad acting and/or plotting on that one

That always bugged me, too. She got/gets over it way too quickly.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 2, 2011, 09:20 AM »

That always bugged me, too. She got/gets over it way too quickly.

She was already coming down with The Sickness at that point, you just didn't know it yet. I give her a pass for being so smoking hot.  ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #672 on: February 14, 2011, 02:52 PM »
3 Episodes into Season 6.  Absolutely loved the way Season 5 ended and also loved and confused by the two plots going on at once

BTW...can I say how outstanding the score is for this show?  I had no idea that the composer Giacchino was the dude who does a lot of the Pixar movies as well (including the Academy Award winning Up score).  It is phenomenal.  He is a John Williams disciple I guess and it shows in his scoring, very well done.  Some of the scenes are made all the more powerful with the music blaring in the background

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 14, 2011, 03:21 PM »
Just wait until you get to those final fifteen minutes of the series finally for the WTF? moment.  ;)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #674 on: February 14, 2011, 07:28 PM »
I actually really enjoyed the ending.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"